The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

Full suit with tie and cufflinks that sport the face of John Williams on them.

Uhm, I’m kinda jealous that you guys get to talk about all this preparation stuff for a concert I cannot attend so yeah, can somebody please close this topic?

10 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Uhm, I’m kinda jealous that you guys get to talk about all this preparation stuff for a concert I cannot attend so yeah, can somebody please close this topic?

Oh, come on. You've met the man! I have not. I should be jealous of YOU. :)

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh, come on. You've met the man! I have not. I should be jealous of YOU. :)

Nah, don’t be my friend. It was a great experience, but in the end it’s his music that gets me through tough stages in my life.

This Euro JWFan gathering sounds kinda cool though and I would love to have been part of it...

Are you going?

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Would that require a UK debid card?

It does not have to be a contactless card issued in the UK.  All American Express cards and most Mastercards and Maestro cards should work, although it does depend on the country of issue.  This page from the Transport for London website has a lot of useful information about which contactless cards can be used for travel in London, whether issued in the UK or overseas.

When I've hosted these events (Morricone in 2009 and Elfman in 2013), I've gone for a restaurant between the High Kensington tube and the RAH (the A315 street). Same for a pub for after concert drinks. Amazingly, we found a pub in that area after the concert that was open beyond midnight. It feels refreshing that I don't have to host anything this year, and have no responsibilities other than to show up. :)

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

There's are a few TGI Fridays in London which may be suitable for our sort of group/s. 

Closest one is a Piccadilly Circus and closes at 1. That's quite a haul from RAH, though.

Doesn't have to be there anyway, but the tube would make it easily manageable. But that's under the assumption people would want food at the meet. Maybe just a straight-up pub would be better like what was suggested. The trouble with a meal is the 7:30 concert time, but a get together is IMO always better with food. However it may not be practical, unfortunately.

Again, I recommend the first stretch of street after you exit the High Kensington tube. There are several restaurants and pubs there, and no more than a 10-15 minute walk to the RAH. More convenient and less stressful than having it anywhere else in town.

I'll be staying in the Paddington area, which is a 30-minute walk from the RAH straight through the park.

13 hours ago, publicist said:

All nearby pubs close at 11:30, the latest...🙄 In Berlin the nights out usually start at midnight, so that's a bummer.

The 'last orders' laws were ditched a few years ago though, so I imagine loads probably remain open past 11:30pm nowadays; they certainly do in Liverpool.

They do. As I said earlier, we found one at the aforementioned area that stayed open to 1-2. Might have been the only one (and more of a "fancy drink" bar than a pub), but still.

If it is drinks that we're getting then I'd suggest it's vital to sort a suitable venue out prior to the date, because in my experience out in London at that time of night the bars and pubs on the weekend are absolutely packed out standing room only situations. Far from ideal. Whereas a restaurant or some sort of eatery would at least ensure we all had somewhere to sit. Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

If it is drinks that we're getting then I'd suggest it's vital to sort a suitable venue out prior to the date, because in my experience out in London at that time of night the bars and pubs on the weekend are absolutely packed out standing room only situations. Far from ideal. Whereas a restaurant or some sort of eatery would at least ensure we all had somewhere to sit. Just sayin'.

I was thinking about post-concert. The place we found (can't remember what it was called) was just a 10-minute walk back to the High Kensington tube, and it was far from packed.

Obviously, for the pre-concert, we should do a restaurant (and IMO in the same area, but I'll leave that to Stefan or whoever is organizing this).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Obviously, for the pre-concert, we should do a restaurant (and IMO in the same area, but I'll leave that to Stefan or whoever is organizing this).

This was my idea as well. I don't care where everyone gets drunk after the concert.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

FOOD!!!!!!

Of course, we could always have an early supper, somewhere in South Ken (say 5-ish?), then pile in to the nearest pub, after the concert.

I'm all for food pre-concert and beer/drinks afterwards. The trick will be finding something that's got the room for a lot of us and doesn't close before we've even finished saying our hellos.

16 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Don't forget your ear plugs.

I am bringing them with me on that trip. Seeing Brian Tyler the day before :D

On 9/6/2018 at 9:22 AM, Thor said:

I'll be staying in the Paddington area, which is a 30-minute walk from the RAH straight through the park.

Just in case you do not already know this Thor, Kensington Gardens closes at dusk throughout the year which on 26th October this year is at 6 p.m.  However, it is still possible to walk / stagger back to the Lancaster Gate / Paddington area after the concert using Exhibition Road / West Carriage Drive, which is the road that separates Kensington Gardens from Hyde Park and is open all the time.  I might be teaching granny to suck eggs here, but I wouldn't want any JW fans to be caught out and miss any of the concert.

Incidentally, any Hook fans new to London might want to have a look at the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens.  If I recall correctly it is featured at the end of the film when Robin Williams wakes up in the snow.  It is about 10-15 minutes' walk from the Royal Albert Hall.

Thanks for the tip. I had obviously planned to take a cab BACK to the hotel (and not wander through Hyde park at night, getting mugged and whatnot), but if it closes that early, I'll have to plan the 'to' trip a bit more carefully. A shame. I was looking forward to wandering straight to Hyde Park on my way there (I've never really explored Hyde Park much).

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

A shame. I was looking forward to wandering straight to Hyde Park on my way there (I've never really explored Hyde Park much).

You should be ok with Hyde Park as that closes at midnight all year round.  Kensington Gardens is the one directly opposite the Royal Albert Hall on the west side of the Serpentine, but as long as you are in the park before the gates are locked you can still exit using one of several one-way turnstile gates at various points around the perimeter.

They will never take Piccadilly!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Steve McQueen said:

With scarves bearing the pattern of The Tablecloth.

If I could react to posts multiple times, this would have countless LOL's! :lol::lol: