The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Married people are incredibly unreliable to go out with.

(sigh) Truer words have never been spoken.

As a single man, sometimes I feel like a hetero fag-hag. Other times, I feel as if I get a "sympathy" invite. 

#I'm the thirteenth, at the table,

I'm the uninvited guest (let me in!)#

Has anyone booked their accommodation, yet?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

(sigh) Truer words have never been spoken.

As a single man, sometimes I feel like a hetero fag-hag. Other times, I feel as if I get a "sympathy" invite. 

#I'm the thirteenth, at the table,

I'm the uninvited guest (let me in!)#

I can swear I've read you mentioning your wife until quite recently...

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Has anyone booked their accommodation, yet?

Just booked my flights (could have saved at least €40 to €60 simply by booking earlier) and hotel (Paddington; might take a rental bike to the RAH).

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Just booked my flights (could have saved at least €40 to €60 simply by booking earlier) and hotel (Paddington; might take a rental bike to the RAH).

I’m in Paddington too. We could always take a cab back together, to save a few bucks. Renting a bike sounds ambitious! :)

I found a good hotel in the Kensington area at a discounted rate through booking.com a couple of months ago, so I'll be pretty near the RAH area.

FYI, the RAH auditorium doors will open at 6.45pm, so perhaps it's better to book a place to eat around 5.15-5.30pm. It's terribly early for dinner, I know, but at least it should give us ample time to chat and get to know each other :)

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's Brexit, for ya! :lol:

If you have the time, it's a nice walk, from Paddington, to the RAH.

Are you coming Richard? You should!

Have received an email back from this place:

http://www.damario.co.uk

They have said they can accommodate the lot of us. Few minutes walk from the Albert Hall.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2470813-Reviews-Da_Mario-London_England.html

Just another suggestion.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

They have said they can accommodate the lot of us. Few minutes walk from the Albert Hall.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2470813-Reviews-Da_Mario-London_England.html

Just another suggestion.

As I've stated, Lee, I should be able to make the meet, even if I can't get a ticket.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Just another suggestion.

That looks like the best suggestion so far.

It's gonna be a big group, so that limits our options. It's close to the Albert Hall.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:06 PM, Stefancos said:

Those are fries!

But they could be better fries if the skin was removed. 

Wow lots of activity in this thread since I last checked in!

Marcy and I are still attending the concert and very much looking forward to joining in this big group dinner before the show.

I completely agree that 5pm is a much better idea than 6pm.  I'm sure many people will want to be inside RAH a bit before 7.30 to look around, find their seats, etc.

Marcy and I will also go out for drinks after the show with whoever.

Will there be any attempts made to wait for JW outside some certain door of RAH to try to get autographs?

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

Maybe @Omen II knows which door folk should wait at for the best chance of that sort of thing.

The public entrances are numbered 1 to 12 (at least a couple of which - 10 and 11 - are currently out of use due to the Great Excavation) but there is also a Stage Door which is clearly signed; it is located between doors 12 and 1 on the southeast side of the building and you cannot really miss it if you walk round the perimeter.  When I was at the Royal Albert Hall for the Proms last week, Prince Charles was also in attendance and was whisked away from there after the concert in a motorcade with police motorcyclists stopping the traffic on Kensington Gore.

I wonder how long John Williams will be in London and where he might be staying (not that I intend pestering him even if I did know)?  Traditionally I believe the biggest artists performing at the Royal Albert Hall often stay at the 5-star Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington High Street, a ten minute walk away, but that’s complete guesswork on my part.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Marcy and I will also go out for drinks after the show with whoever.

I still owe you a beer from Boston!

I will be travelling to London with a Norwegian film composer friend of mine (and his girlfriend). I have no idea what they have planned. Perhaps they want to have a private dinner or something before the concert. But maybe they'd be interested in joining this event as well. I'll ask them about this asap and confirm if I'm a +2.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:12 AM, Thor said:

I’m in Paddington too. We could always take a cab back together, to save a few bucks. Renting a bike sounds ambitious! :)

From Friday to Sunday I'm sharing a hotel room with @ChrisAfonso, before that I have a single room at the same hotel (I'm arriving Wednesday night). So we could triple-share that cab.

I took an ofo bike from my hotel in Notting Hill to the RAH earlier this year, just to test it. It was mainly straight through Hide Park, so the left hand traffic wasn't much of a problem. The route from Paddington would be similar.