The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hopefully late because I plan on drinking with you people after the concert!

Β 

My hotel is a 10 min walk from the RAH, so I hope I’ll be able to stick around with you guys until late! 😊

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Nice!Β  We're on the other side of the Thames

I'll be coming from the other side of Thames as well as I'll be staying with a relativeΒ so I might not be able to hang all night long with youΒ after the concert. But as John Williams himself would say "I'll try!"

Marian, Bregt (from Maintitles, who will hopefully join us for after-concert drinks), Bregt's girlfriendΒ and I all live near to each other in Paddington, so hopefully we can all share a cab backΒ rather than rummaging drunkenly through Hyde Park at night.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Marian, Bregt (from Maintitles, who will hopefully join us for after-concert drinks), Bregt's girlfriendΒ and I all live near to each other in Paddington, so hopefully we can all share a cab backΒ rather than rummaging drunkenly through Hyde Park at night.

Oh, Thor! Rummage drunkenly, through Hyde Park; it's a lot more fun!

He, he...yeah, again, if it hadn't been for all those warnings and rumours about getting mugged and molested and whatnot, I would have done it!

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

I'll be coming from the other side of Thames as well as I'll be staying with a relativeΒ so I might not be able to hang all night long with youΒ after the concert. But as John Williams himself would say "I'll try!"

You'll get there on the next day! ;)

Β 

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

You'll get there on the next day! ;)

Β 

Karol

How early is the question.

Β 

Seriously I am about 7 km away from the Royal Albert Hall. Which in London traffic time and space is apparently eternity. I have to get going 2 days before theΒ concert to make it in time.

My flight leaves at 08:30 next morning. So that will be a drawback. Thankfully i am inΒ South Kensington near Gloucester Road so i am on the Piccadilly line to Heathrow - but Incanus, you should avoid buses.Seriously.

25 minutes ago, publicist said:

My flight leaves at 08:30 next morning. So that will be a drawback. Thankfully i am inΒ South Kensington near Gloucester Road so i am on the Piccadilly line to Heathrow - but Incanus, you should avoid buses.Seriously.ο»Ώο»Ώ

So I have been told. Tube is the way to go.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Β 

Seriously I am about 7 km away from the Royal Albert Hall. Which in London traffic time and space is apparently eternity. I have to get going 2 days before theΒ concert to make it in time.

Β 

Thats less than a 90 minute stroll.

People talk about these Oyster cards and whatnot (I've been to London a few times, but I can't remember buying one of these), so sorry if I missed the previous discussion on this issue.

Β 

But I presume I can buy one on Heathrow. Does it cover both the airport train as well as all transport in London? Would I be able to buy one that covered Thursday-Sunday? What would the price be? (yeah, yeah, I know I can google, but I'd rather ask here).

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

People talk about these Oyster cards and whatnot (I've been to London a few times, but I can't remember buying one of these), so sorry if I missed the previous discussion on this issue.

Β 

But I presume I can buy one on Heathrow. Does it cover both the airport train as well as all transport in London? Would I be able to buy one that covered Thursday-Sunday? What would the price be? (yeah, yeah, I know I can google, but I'd rather ask here).

Β 

You can buy an Oyster card at Heathrow for a Β£5 deposit plus however much credit you want to put on it. Β It will cover you from Heathrow to central London on either the Piccadilly line or TfL Rail (the stopping service into London Paddington) but NOT on the Heathrow Express.

Β 

For a four day stay your best bet is to use pay as you go credit rather than buying a weekly travel card. Β Alternatively, many contactless payment cards will also work and you will be charged the same (but check the validity of your Norwegian bank card first).

28 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Β 

You can buy an Oyster card at Heathrow for a Β£5 deposit plus however much credit you want to put on it. Β It will cover you from Heathrow to central London on either the Piccadilly line or TfL Rail (the stopping service into London Paddington) but NOT on thο»Ώe Heathrow Express.

Β 

For a four day stay your best bet is to use pay as you go credit rather than buying a weekly travel card. Β Alternatively, many contactless payment cards will also work and you will be charged the same (but check the validity of your Norwegian bank card first).

Β 

Great. I'll be returning to Oslo from Stansted rather than Heathrow. I presume I can use it there too (I think this particular train departs from Liverpool station or some such).

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Β 

Great. I'll be returning to Oslo from Stansted rather than Heathrow. I presume I can use it there too (I think this particular train departs from Liverpool station or some such).

Β 

Oyster cards are not valid as far as Stansted, so you would need to buy a single ticket at Liverpool Street. Β I can give you more details later today when I have finished work if you like.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

My flight leaves at 08:30 next morning. So that will be a drawback. Thankfully i am inΒ South Kensington near Gloucester Road so i am on the Piccadilly line to Heathrow - but Incanus, you should avoid buses.Seriously.

Yeah I'm also staying within walking distance from RAH. Best thing to do really.

Β 

And no, I wouldn't recommend buses either.

Β 

Karol

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Β 

No just a damn minute!

Inky, you're about 5 miles away from the RAH, and you need to set off 2 days in advance, to get there?!

Β 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Β 

Thats less than a 90 minute stroll.

What Steef said.

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

No just a damn minute!

Inky, you're about 5 miles away from the RAH, and you need to set off 2 days in advance, to get there?!

Humor. Rather a difficult concept. Especially when it is as dry as mine. Shaken not stirred.

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

Β 

You can buy an Oyster card at Heathrow for a Β£5 deposit plus however much credit you want to put on it. Β It will cover you from Heathrow to central London on either the Piccadilly line or TfL Rail (the stopping service into London Paddington) but NOT on the Heathrow Express.

Would you say the Heathrow Express is the quickestΒ and easiest way to get to London from the airport?

So if we're gonna spend a week in London and use public transport exclusively, should we get Oyster cards or no?

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

So if we're gonna spend a week in London and use public transport exclusively, should we get Oyster cards or no?

Β 

I would definitely recommend either an Oyster card each or a contactless payment card each if you already have them. Β Either will work and will cost the same, although you would also get weekly capping if you used a contactless card. Β If you have an Amex card it should work fine in lieu of an Oyster card.

We both have credit and debit cards with the chip in them, I assume that is what "contactless" means.

Β 

What is the point of them instituting a weekly cap?Β  After a certain amount, they just say no to taking your money?