The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

There's Jay too.

Is it Thor, the one holding the beer?

Thor always holds a beer. Sorry that I could not have made it this time. Would have loved to meet you all. It looks like you had a great time. 

45 minutes ago, davefg said:

Is Thor giving himself a wet willie in your photo publicist?

He he. As previously mentioned, it was a noisy place, so I periodically had to put a finger in the tinnitus ear for 30 seconds alleviation. But funny pic!

Great meeting everyone, and I’ll return with a more full report when I return to Norway and a computer. Having one last London binge tonight with 2 FSMers, one Maintitler and my Norwegian composer friend.

That would be Thomas known here as fommes (on the far left) and Jim Ware is the other one. :)

I was there too but had to leave early to catch a train... which I missed anyway.

Karol

Perhaps someone can confirm here, but I'm sure that Simone Pedroni was a part of our big Da Mario group? I've subbed to his fantastic YouTube channel for a couple of years, the orchestra he conducts do really terrific performances. I'm just really disappointed in myself for not realising why I recognised him until it was too late to say hello and express my appreciation for his channel. I had no idea he was going to be there. Did anybody else?

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Perhaps someone can confirm here, but I'm sure that Simone Pedroni was a part of our big Da Mario group? I've subbed to his fantastic YouTube channel for a couple of years, the orchestra he conducts do really terrific performances. I'm just really disappointed in myself for not realising why I recognised him until it was too late to say hello and express my appreciation for his channel. I had no idea he was going to be there. Did anybody else?

Yes Pedroni was in the group in Da Mario. Maurizio introduced me to both him and Emilio Audissino (who wrote the John Williams' Film Music book) during the day but sadly I got only to shake their hand and thank Pedroni for his wonderful piano album. I would have loved to pick their brain on John Williams since both have great love for his music and Audissino has indeed written a book on his style focusing on Raiders of the Lost Ark in his analysis.

Yeah I can't remember if Audissino was with us in the restaurant though. I can't spot him in the group photo.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I knew it! Gosh, I wish I'd known.

Oh we should have introduced ourselves at the beginning of the meal with our real and internet names. Or should have worn name tags with both names. :D

25 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Oh we should have introduced ourselves at the beginning of the meal with our real and internet names. Or should have worn name tags with both names. :D

Next time: Name tags with real names, screen names, and avatars.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Next time: Name tags with real names, screen names, and avatars.

Seconded!

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Every time I introduced myself to a person I said "Lee... Quintus". Which I'm sure some probably had an inward thought of "oh, you can be a bit of fucker on the forum", which I'm okay with and I forgive them 😀

Quintus Lee is actually a really bad ass name.

Lee...Quintus Lee, at your service.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Thanks, Lee & Steef for organising this! We need more events like this, there were too many people and too little time. I also had no idea that Inky was there - and who knows who else I missed?

williams_marauders.jpg

Here's the full thing, including my own, horribly inarticulate, bit. Would anyone have a problem with me putting that up on the net (e.g. Facebook, Twitter)?

Damn I forgot to write something in there!! 😪😪😪

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Thanks, Lee & Steef for organising this! We need more events like this, there were too many people and too little time. I also had no idea that Inky was there - and who knows who else I missed?

williams_marauders.jpg

Here's the full thing, including my own, horribly inarticulate, bit. Would anyone have a problem with me putting that up on the net (e.g. Facebook, Twitter)?

Didn't even see the whole thing until now. Was pretty nice to read all of it. So did John receive it? He's flying out tomorrow, isn't he?

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't know if it was given to him in London or if it will reach him when he's back home.

I'm guessing this was arranged by Mike?

I actually don't know who took charge of this. Mike said to me at the NBC thing that he hasn't been in direct contact with Williams's representatives and hadn't time to get a card, so didn't organise anything. I assume that someone else took over, with a somewhat specific plan of how to get it to Williams. Perhaps @Jay?

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Yes, we came together! He’s a very humble guy like his idol JW, so he sat with his wife on a separate table, but he was with us at the dinner all the time. You can spot him in the pic near me.

Emilio Audissino couldn’t make it to the dinner because he had previous engagements with other people and he’s sorry he couldn’t join.

If there’s one regret I have about this amazing day is that I couldn’t spend proper time with all of you talking and getting together. But even if it reduced to just a handshake and a few words, I felt your presence and big souls all the time.

Oh, and seeing the picture of the card we all signed truly brings tears to my eyes.

Love you all, guys!

Simone Pedroni was not any kind of secret guest, he was invited to Mike's talk at NBC and was in the Facebook event for the chat. You would have known if you had come!

Tim Burden was nice enough to introduce both Simone and Emilio Audissino to the crowd in the screening room, and we both gave a nice round of applause. And Mike singled out Stefan, Maurizio, Miguel, and I think one or two others to specifically say hi to, I think I think it was just before the Q&A portion.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Simone Pedroni was not any kind of secret guest, he was invited to Mike's talk at NBC and was in the Facebook event for the chat. You would have known if you had come!

Tim Burden was nice enough to introduce both Simone and Emilio Audissino to the crowd in the screening room, and we both gave a nice round of applause. And Mike singled out Stefan, Maurizio, Miguel, and I think one or two others to specifically say hi to, I think I think it was just before the Q&A portion.

Yes, I didn’t expect that! And I felt honoured, Mike is a terrific guy and a kind soul.

I brought my brother Gianmaria to the dinner as well, he came with his 9-year-old son who’s already a big JWfan. My brother lurks here, he never joined the conversations, but he knows all of you :) 

I hope I didn’t cause any hassle to the restaurant’s manager (they were all Italian, btw) and didn’t take any seats to anyone else for bringing them with me. I asked Steef in the afternoon if they could come.