The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

Ah, that's who the chap with the little boy was! I was wondering!

There was humorous talk about how the Italians who arrived later and had to sit at the outer tables got their food before us at the big table :lol:

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah, that's who the chap with the little boy was! I was wondering!

There was humorous talk about how the Italians who arrived later and had to sit at the outer tables got their food before us at the big table :lol:

Yes, of course, you can imagine our embarrassment when we were suddenly served before all the others! 😄

My brother is also quite humble and he didn’t want to introduce himself, he waited silently for me to arrive along with his little son. My brother is the one who made the illustration you see as header on thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com!

I was particulary touched by something @Romão said to me at the dinner: “you’re exactly how I imagined you!”. And that felt really the same for me with all of you. 

Sorry if I’m being sentimental tonight, guys 😊

I was one of the first people to order and received my meal last. ;)

Well, almost last.

And I agree with @Romão, @TownerFan

Man, wish there was more time to have a proper chat with everyone. 

Karol

49 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

If there’s one regret I have about this amazing day is that I couldn’t spend proper time with all of you talking and getting together. 

This is exactly how I feel too. I just wish I'd been able to more freely spend time mixing and chatting with everyone than what eventually transpired. Regardless, I'm still truly grateful for the short interactions with those I managed to say hi to over the course of the evening, even if I wish there had been longer opportunities for me to really talk face to face with these personalities I feel like I know so well online. Stefan and I really spent a lot of decent time in each other's company though, so it wasn't all fleeting on my part at least.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I also noticed the Italians got their food before the rest of us did. ;)

I learned a lot from this Meetup about things to try to make a future one even better.

What we really needed for the drinks after the show was a way to break off into smaller groups and have casual conversation. The musinin that bar was SO LOUD it was hard to talk to anyone . And there was so many people that weren't part of our group weaving all around , you could get stuck talking to the same people with no way to get over to someone else because it was so cramped.

Maybe if we all got rooms in the same hotel, or someone had a suite we could use, or we just researched a quiet but spacious bar ahead of time or something.

I dunno just brainstorming

Just now, Stefancos said:

As a drinking hole, i VASTLY prefer Dublin over London.

In that regard London was a bit of a letdown, tbh.

For that purpose, a generally prefer more friendly and homely "local" English pubs.

Karol

Well if we didn’t get the drinking thing right we’d be in bother 😂

I do really like London though. You could never get your fill of visiting 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

As a drinking hole, i VASTLY prefer Dublin over London.

In that regard London was a bit of a letdown, tbh.

Yeah, have to say I agree with this.

The UK is FULL of great pubs, but most of them aren't in London. Especially the centre/touristy areas, which is where I imagine you spent most of your time.   Dublin is a better drinking town.

But otherwise, London is a fantastic city. Probably my favourite big city in the world. It has everything.

Its become a busy old place though. 

I was in South Kensington on a Monday morning and the tube station was PACKED. There was a line of hundreds of people in front of the Natural History museum 

Leicester Square and Chinatown the night before was insane.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Kensington was bloomin' useless as a late night drinking area - and believe me, we tried to find somewhere. Majorly disappointing!

I think we ended up in a rather cosy place, tbh 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Kensington was bloomin' useless as a late night drinking area - and believe me, we tried to find somewhere. Majorly disappointing!

The nearest nice pubs in London that I can think of are in Camden Town.

Karol

The company is what mattered to me more than the drink in my hand, or the price of them.

It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to interact with people I've only known online for years/decades.

It wasn't my hotel. I was staying somewhere else. And I didn't pick this as the meeting place. I just followed along.

I posted the name and address in the FB event so people would know.where to go, but I didn't come up with it. It was just one suggestion, and I guess no one had a better one. It wasn't ideal ( too loud and pricy), but it was near RAH, and was open late. It got the job done.

We had a big group in Boston one year... I don't remember the number. But this was way, way bigger, especially the dinner.  And only two Americans present!

From what Jim was telling me, there have been huge parties of film score fans in Ghent and Vienna in the past. But I don't think anything JWFan centric comes close to this.

Nevertheless, it was a pure thrill to talk to you guys and see the spark in your eyes when talking about John's music. It really was a great pleasure that shall be repeated. 

Just now, Quintus said:

Another thing on the plus side was that I managed to share a walk and a little talk with Karol, which was nice, after all these years.

It was!

Karol

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I learned a lot from this Meetup about things to try to make a future one even better.

What we really needed for the drinks after the show was a way to break off into smaller groups and have casual conversation. The musinin that bar was SO LOUD it was hard to talk to anyone . And there was so many people that weren't part of our group weaving all around , you could get stuck talking to the same people with no way to get over to someone else because it was so cramped.

Maybe if we all got rooms in the same hotel, or someone had a suite we could use, or we just researched a quiet but spacious bar ahead of time or something.

I dunno just brainstorming

Personally, I'd happily attend something like this annually.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I saw Quint and Kate I'm the crowd at one point. Bloody hell, they had good seats!

And another JWfan member randomly next to them!

Those seats were golden. If JW had been there I would have sneaked up there.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

We had a big group in Boston one year... I don't remember the number. But this was way, way bigger, especially the dinner.  And only two Americans present!

From what Jim was telling me, there have been huge parties of film score fans in Ghent and Vienna in the past. But I don't think anything JWFan centric comes close to this.

There was a get together in Vienna before the Horner concert. I don't remember how organised it, I think I helped a bit (just with suggesting a location and the like). Quite big, although the people there were from all over the place - not just physically, but also from various online places; I don't think there was an especially big core crowd from one single online forum like this time. First time I met Tim Burden and publicist, and Karol I think.

Anyway, the main problem with these things, aside from organisational stuff (we live and learn) is time. There's just not enough of it, especially in London where everything closes early (or at least stops serving alcohol), even when it's not so expensive that you're not willing to order more. I barley exchanged more than a few words with most people (and none at all with too many). I talked much longer with Marcy than with Jay! (Not that I'm complaining about talking too long with her, she's fun!)

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Kensington was bloomin' useless as a late night drinking area - and believe me: we tried to find somewhere. Majorly disappointing!

That's what Berlin is for. Most places in the hipper areas are open till 4 (under the week), 2,30€ a beer and a fiver for Cocktails is a going rate you can drink yourself to death in a single night.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Any possibility of something like this happening  next year? I'm strongly considering making the trek to Boston, or wherever the big Williams to do would be.