John Williams Music To Feature In Chinese Figure Skating Routine

Arpy

http://epicstream.com/news/Chinese-Figure-Skaters-Routine-Includes-Star-Wars-Themes-Like-Duel-Of-Fates?utm_content=bufferd1352&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

'Duel of the Fates' and 'Luke and Leia'.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Chinese duo’s compilation track for their performance included “Luke and Leia,” a Star Wars theme which was taken from the original trilogy, and the intense theme song “Duel of Fates” taken from the prequel trilogy.

The International Skating Committee updated their rules for musical selections after the Olympic Games back in 2014, allowing athletes to pick songs with lyrics for their routines. However, while  athlete’s  song selections this year included songs by Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, and Simon and Garfunkel, none could really compare to the sharp and intense vocalizations of the “Duel of Fates.”

The Jyn Erso & Hope Suite from Rogue One also made an appearance in the medley.

Sadly their performance wasn't perfect - Yu had a few tumbles. Still nice to hear the music.

I saw the second part of this but it featured the concert version of Leia's theme, not Luke and Leia unless if it was at the beginning of the routine.  Never thought I would have heard Duel of the Fates play during a figure skating routine.

11 hours ago, Quppa said:

The Jyn Erso & Hope Suite from Rogue One also made an appearance in the medley.

Sadly their performance wasn't perfect - Yu had a few tumbles. Still nice to hear the music.

Did they tumble during Rogue One?

Boyang Jin from China, currently in 4th place in the men's event, will be skating to music from Star Wars in his long program tonight. The program starts out with Mars from The Planets and then goes into the Star Wars selections.

Here's a video of his winning performance from another competition:

In the Ladies Event, Satoko Miyahara from Japan will be skating to Memoirs of a Geisha for her short program:

On 17/02/2018 at 8:57 AM, gkgyver said:

Did they tumble during Rogue One?

I don't remember, and the IOC is as strict as ever about protecting its copyright, but here's another (better) performance from the same pair:

On 2/17/2018 at 4:17 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

I remember when Nancy Kerrigan skated to the Parade of the Slave Children.

Who'd have thought child slaves could be so resplendent?

Ladies Event starts tomorrow. 

As Mari commented above, Satako Miyahara of Japan will skate to Memoirs of a Geisha in her short.

Choi Da-bin of South Korea will be skating to what I believe is Williams's arrangement of Legrand's "Papa Can You Hear Me" with Itzhak Perlman on violin.

In the free skate, Germany's Nicole Schott will skate to Schindler's List, though I doubt she will match Yulia Lipnitskaya's outstanding interpretation of that piece in Sochi.     

1 hour ago, someonefun124 said:

So, when will someone skate to Rey's theme? It's gonna happen. :yes:

It will be for the first person to win the gold after having just put on ice skates for the first time.