The Official Miklos Rozsa Thread

SteveMc

Music like Rozsa's, though, could be a way to bridge the gap, or so you would think, between the Romantics and more challenging Moderns.

But the unfair stigma of film composing still remains.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh, yeah. Sorry.

This morning our local vicar played a clip from a miniseries, called THE PASSION, which was broadcast on the BBC, about ten years ago. I'd seen it before, and, although I usually like Debbie Wiseman's music, this score was clichéd, clumsy, and very loud (as in, in the mix). It was very off-putting, bordering on stupid...rather like the rest of the show. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fal said:

Listened to Bhowani Junction today, boy was this score kind of ahead of its time.

A score I'd like to hear someday myself.  It isn't on YouTube, and there's only one left on Amazon, it seems.    

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Fal said:

I think Knights of the Round Table might be my favorite of his non-Biblical Epics I have heard so far

It is on my to-get list. Is it anything like Ivanhoe in style?

Certainly, with a bit of biblical sound for the holy grail thrown into the mix. The FSM s the relative best version but the tinny sound betrays the huge scope. If i were you, i would be content with the RPO suite from the 70's:

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

It is on my to-get list. Is it anything like Ivanhoe in style?

As Publicist noted, it is like Ivanhoe, but richer I think, more subtle in its heroism.  Classic Rozsa with regards to orchestration. 

• 2 weeks later...

Leonard Bernstein's famous debut concert with the New York Philharmonic, which included a performance of Rozsa's Theme, Variations, and Finale  is now available on CD and digital download.

Here's the link:

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc533

• 4 weeks later...

Concert in a couple of days in Spain.  Rozsa in between Bach and Handel, with Morricone at the end.  The world as it should be.  Anyone in the area?

http://soundtrackfest.com/en/micro/extraordinary-summer-concert-with-the-orchestra-and-choir-of-the-cathedral-of-cordoba-spain/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about this Banda Sonora 2CD Ben-Hur release coming out in a week?

https://www.facethemusic.hu/ost/cd/ben-hur6643296.html

Would it just be a reissue of the first 2 discs of the FSM set? The tracklist may not be correct, they usually copy the listing from the Dutch site they import from, and they have been wrong a few times.

I almost bought the Tadlow but now I might just wait this out to see how it is.

Amazon says it's 1 disc because it's Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ben-Original-Soundtrack-Miklos-Rozsa/dp/B07CQR5SS8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_15_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XMCE0Y5WHZ5TZB31B4CG

I'm kinda torn between the Tadlow and the Rhino release. The FSM is a bit needlessly overwhelming.

Overall better sound quality and never before recorded extras, or Rózsa's original recordings? It's a tough one! Help!

Does the Rhino have the original Entr'acte? If not, the choice is immediately obvious.

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'm kinda torn between the Tadlow and the Rhino release. The FSM is a bit needlessly overwhelming.

Overall better sound quality and never before recorded extras, or Rózsa's original recordings? It's a tough one! Help!

Does the Rhino have the original Entr'acte? If not, the choice is immediately obvious.

I don't think it does.

My current edit uses Rózsa for the most part, but cuts in the Tadlow recordings where the originals sounded too bad. I even recreated the film edit of Charioteers from the Tadlow. But for which one to own physically...

I think I'll go with the Tadlow, and maybe buy the FSM box a few years later if still available and I have nothing better to get because every Williams I want will be released :P, or the Rhino or any latest reissue if not.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

My current edit uses Rózsa for the most part, but cuts in the Tadlow recordings where the originals sounded too bad. I even recreated the film edit of Charioteers from the Tadlow. But for which one to own physically...

I think I'll go with the Tadlow, and maybe buy the FSM box a few years later if still available and I have nothing better to get because every Williams I want will be released :P, or the Rhino or any latest reissue if not.

As a completionist I have both Sony's Rhino reissue and the Tadlow, and will be picking up the FSM at some point.

The Rhino for some clean endings and openings, and an alternate of Prince of Peace not on the FSM
The Tadlow for the unrecorded/lost stuff.
and the FSM for the alternates not on either set.

• 4 weeks later...

Which Rózsa-scored movies are most worth checking out? I'm thinking of ones where the score is good to great, and the movie is at least watchable. Ben-Hur is obvious, love both score and film, couldn't get through Thief of Bagdad but love bits of the score. Currently on my will-check-out list are El Cid, Spellbound, Ivanhoe and Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, on the fence about Quo Vadis? and Golden Voyage of Sindbad.

Aside from a few tracks that are missing, the OST album recording on the Rozsa treasury is almost a perfectly fine listening experience

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Always wanted to explore Rozsa's concert music more, but never got around to it.

The Violin concerto is quite good, of course.  As is the Sinfonia Concertante.  His String Quartets are also quite interesting.

See also the Concerto for String Orchestra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all Rozsa-files! I was listening to the excellent Hollywood '95 compilation from Varese earlier (probably the best of their Hollywood 94/95/96 albums I think, in terms of content and performance, incidentally the only one without any John Williams on it...) and was reminded just how wonderful Rozsa's theme to That Hamilton Woman is. Indeed, I'd put it down as one of my favourite Rozsa themes, utterly lovely and hugely memorable. It manages to sound somewhat more timeless than some of the more swooning love themes of the period, so it's delicate rather than overwrought.

I've never seen the score or movie mentioned anywhere and as far as I know, it's never had a full release, just a few appearances on compilations (which I assume is the same love theme track on the Varese album). Given its age, I wouldn't be surprised if the tapes are lost, but does anyone know anything about it? Is the rest of the score as charming as its love theme?