NEW Score podcast. David W Collins is back!

leeallen01

That's cool. I liked some of the SW Oxygen podcasts and will be interesting to see him take on a bigger world of film music.

Funnily enough, while listening to those old episodes I kept wishing he would host them on his own - the other guy annoyed me a bit (simply not much content there).

Karol

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Great! This is brilliant news! Love it! Can't wait! Just one question, though: who is David W. Collins?

A former Lucasarts employee (sound), and voice actor (had some bits for the new SW films) and had a podcast called Star Wars Oxygen talking about the Star Wars scores.

21 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

It was interesting... however, the commercials suck! And how many times did David say Ummm... Ahhhhhh... You know... Riiiiiiight? Look, we all do that... but that's why we EDIT shows as well.

I know there are some who like off the cuff shows but I think this one needs a bit more polish, tighter editing, and a script. But what do I know... this show was already more popular than mine the moment David announced it last week so who am I to judge? I'm looking forward to future episodes... but man those ads during the show have to disappear.

BTW, I think Art of the Score, UnderScore and Sideshow Sound Radio are far superior programs and should be listened to by everyone here before spinning David's program.

Anyway, it's great to hear another film music related podcast.  

-Erik-

Big fan of your stuff Erik. And your contributions in other podcasts too like tracksounds. 

I tried my hand at film music podcasting over the years with a show called Musical Procrastination. It had some good viewership, but I became too busy to continue the amount of editing required for it. But I do miss it sometimes. 

Is there an archive of the program?  If you aren't interested in resurrecting your show, but want to do a few here or there and have them 'aired' on Cinematic Sound Radio, let me know.  I love having guest hosts!

-Erik-

All episodes are here -

http://www.bombadradio.com/mobile/p/musical-procrastination/  

The first few episodes were very raw as I was new to it, but as I progressed I believe I got better.

That's a great offer, thank you. I'd love to get back into it, but on a more casual basis yes. 

2 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

It was interesting... however, the commercials suck! And how many times did David say Ummm... Ahhhhhh... You know... Riiiiiiight? Look, we all do that... but that's why we EDIT shows as well.

I know there are some who like off the cuff shows but I think this one needs a bit more polish, tighter editing, and a script. But what do I know... this show was already more popular than mine the moment David announced it last week so who am I to judge? I'm looking forward to future episodes... but man those ads during the show have to disappear.

BTW, I think Art of the Score, UnderScore and Sideshow Sound Radio are far superior programs and should be listened to by everyone here before spinning David's program.

Anyway, it's great to hear another film music related podcast.  

-Erik-

Yeah I can agree with most of that but it’s his analysis like the Star Wars oxygen stuff that I go to him for. I found that show brought me back to and old friend with new eyes in the Star Wars scores. Where I go to something like cinematic sound because erik and his folks have impeccable taste and put on a great show!  Room for both??

edit: I don’t think David’s new show would have near the hype in the community if it wasn’t for the reach that rebel force radio had with oxygen either. 

37 minutes ago, Brian99_1 said:

Yeah I can agree with most of that but it’s his analysis like the Star Wars oxygen stuff that I go to him for. I found that show brought me back to and old friend with new eyes in the Star Wars scores. Where I go to something like cinematic sound because erik and his folks have impeccable taste and put on a great show!  Room for both??

edit: I don’t think David’s new show would have near the hype in the community if it wasn’t for the reach that rebel force radio had with oxygen either. 

Oh, there is absolutely enough room for all of us.  And I've heard David's shows on Star Wars Oxygen as well... but for some reason, this show didn't click with me.  David's show reminds me of what Doug Adams use to do on the FSM Podcast and what he is planning on doing with his new show.  I find Adams' show to be a better produced, more focused program.  Then again, this is David's first solo show and I'm sure he'll get better as the weeks go on.  

Anyway, I'm not complaining.  I'm just being critical (picky), especially about those ads.  

-Erik-

I personally prefer the more conversational podcasts, where's there's a discussion and contrasting opinions on a score's merits and relationship to other works.

Looking forward to David's new podcast nonetheless. Also patiently waiting for Art of the Score to post their TFA discussion!

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

I personally prefer the more conversational podcasts, where's there's a discussion and contrasting opinions on a score's merits and relationship to other works.

Looking forward to David's new podcast nonetheless. Also patiently waiting for Art of the Score to post their TFA discussion!

I love conversational podcasts as well.  If there are two or more people then a script isn't needed.

-Erik-

PS - David's show is doing really well.  10th most popular MUSIC podcast in the US and 5th most popular MUSIC podcast in Canada. Makes me wonder what I've been doing wrong all these years? I think no one wants to hear the music. ;) The two most popular Soundtrack related shows are Soundtracking and David's new show.  Both are "talking head" shows.  Edith does interviews with some VERY high profile people (it certainly helps that she's an incredibly popular radio personality in the UK.)  And David had quite a following on the Star Wars Oxygen podcast.  

PPS - Yes, I'm f__king jealous! ;)

It's probably the SW effect, His previous show was on a SW podcast, so fans of SW who were not necessarily film score fans (especially not of the more niche variety) heard that, and carried over.

2 hours ago, Fal said:

It's probably the SW effect, His previous show was on a SW podcast, so fans of SW who were not necessarily film score fans (especially not of the more niche variety) heard that, and carried over.

Probably.  And I wish David all the best!

-Erik-

Just imagine if David ever got a chance to do a show with Williams. He's happy enough to do community shows and radio, why not a podcast with a music scholar?

On 28.2.2018 at 10:24 PM, Erik Woods said:

UnderScore was a superior program :(

I couldn’t get through this latest episode.  It felt more like a college lecture than an entertaining and informative podcast. And again... those ads just kill the show.

-Erik-

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Erik Woods, I've got a humble suggestion for a future episode of Cinematic Sound: Top 10 OOP soundtracks which deserve a rerelease.

Which scores would you like to hear?

-Erik-

1 hour ago, Erik Woods said:

Which scores would you like to hear?

-Erik-

I'm thinking about scores which are out of print and generally considered of high quality, for example:

Signs

Chicken Run

Battle of Britain (Ron Goodwin + William Walton)

Stargate

Independence Day

Dracula (JW)

You probably have many more good suggestions.

I don't mean they necessarily need an expanded rerelease, but their OSTs should be made available once again.

On 14.3.2018 at 6:10 PM, Fal said:

Episode III: Doom and Gloom

When I read the title I thought by myself "Oh no, not Dies Irae again ..." And yep - there is was ...

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I don't know what's happen to his website, but I can't download the episodes any more, or even play them on his website. Something's changed.

I have been using downloadhelper.

I'm loving this!  And I actually appreciate the "lecture" format.  Now I have @Erik Woods to play the music and tip me off to under-the-radar scores, Soundcast for industry news and conversation, Art of the Score and (maybe, someday, God willing) Underscore for in-depth looks at particular scores, and the Soundtrack Show for music education with awesome examples.  Now everyone just start plugging each other so a rising tide will lift all boats!  I never would have found Soundcast without Cinematic Sound or Underscore without Soundcast.

P.S. I also have the IndyCast John Williams specials, but only every year or so when they have a guest. :)

I still can't bloody listen to it on his website! For some reason the podcast refuses to play. I want to listen to it. I've missed about 5 episodes because it wont let me listen!

Does anyone know where it can be played elsewhere

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I still can't bloody listen to it on his website!

Either download it with Downloadhelper or use a podcast app.

I believe it is on Spotify as well.

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I still can't bloody listen to it on his website! For some reason the podcast refuses to play. I want to listen to it. I've missed about 5 episodes because it wont let me listen!

Does anyone know where it can be played elsewhere

Just download it....

Wow!  I'm really happy and surprised he's covering someone like Korngold.  With his wide listenership it would have been so easy to pander to the nerdiest common denominator, covering only Star Wars and Jurassic Park and such.  Very cool, even if it does mean I'll have to listen yet again to a comparison of Kings Row to Star Wars.

It was good!  If a little too short for me.  I was really happy he avoided the Kings Row/Star Wars comparison, although he might get back to that when he starts in on SW next week.

Korngold's Kings Row is too fantastic to only ever be mentioned as an obscure footnote in the Star Wars legacy.

He’s not doing Star Wars next is he? I was hoping he wouldn’t do it too early since he’s kinda covered it all with Star Wars Oxygen (and he even did the bone event that was Rogue One)

I was hoping he'd jump straight to Last Jedi since it's the SW score he hasn't talked about at all.  But you have to remember the show is meant to include a wider audience than existing film score fans.  Like, it's meant to be educational.