Do you own the OST albums of Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, E.T., Raiders, and Superman?

Josh500

Do you have the OST albums of Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, E.T., and Raiders?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Jaws

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Star Wars

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Superman

• Yes
    • No

Not the expansions or re-releases, but the true original soundtracks on CD? 

And if yes, do you sometimes still listen to these, or do you prefer the various expansions? 

To me, the OSTs of Jaws and E.T. are great listening experiences, the OST of CE3K is a bad presentation, and the OST of Raiders is ruined by lousy sound quality. I've just acquired the SW OST, so I can't really comment on that yet.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To me, the OSTs of Jaws and E.T. are great listening experiences, the OST of CE3K is a bad presentation, and the OST of Raiders is ruined by lousy sound quality. I've just acquired the SW OST, so I can't really comment on that.

So which ones do you actually have?

Never said these were perfect. But it's great to have them in your collection. 

@Josh500, why didn't you include Superman?

27 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So which ones do you actually have?

All of them, except CE3K. :) Listen to Jaws and E.T. the most.

The DCC release of Raiders is the one to get.

I'm not impressed with the sound quality on Superman either, but it's definitely better than on Raiders.

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Never said these were perfect. But it's great to have them in your collection. 

Oh, the Jaws and E.T. presentations are perfect to me.

I never got the original soundtracks for RAIDERS and STAR WARS on CD. I went directly for the DCC and Arista box in the 90s.

For the others, I have the OSTs, and I not only think they're superior to their expanded counterparts (all of which I've sampled and/or owned over the years) -- they're the only soundtracks I ever play in each case.

Yes to all, in CD. I like to have the albums the way John Williams released them originally... and with the sound they originaly had (for the best and worst).

The Jaws original CD is now obsolete, as it has been reconstructed on the new expanded set, no?

Same for E.T., the new expanded set have a remastered version of the original album.

But for the others, the OSTs contains edits that don't exist on any other release.

And yes, I listen to the OSTs very often, even if we now have the expanded versions... sometimes I just want a 45 minutes experience without having to listen to all the whole thing. I love to have the choice.

But for Star Wars, I tend to listen to a combined version of the two CDs from the Anthology boxset rather than the real OST, because I can't bare the bad EDIT in the Main Theme...

I have the original vinyl releases of all these, plus Dracula, M-Squad, and the two Empires (Strikes Back and Of the Sun). Except for Jaws, which I haven't found a good copy of yet. I listen to them only occasionally, because with Williams I'm C&C for life. If I ever get Jaws or The Fury OST on vinyl, I would listen, since they're different recordings and all.

I was lucky to get the Star Wars LP signed at my very first JW concert.

29 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Jaws original CD is now obsolete, as it has been reconstructed on the new expanded set.

That is NOT correct!  The original recording elements for the Jaws album recording session burned up in the Universal fire, so the original album could NOT be reconstructed from original elements!  The album on CD2 of the Intrada set is just a new transfer of the 1992 CD master.  That's the earlier known element to exist for that album any more after the fire.

Obviously, the film score on disc 1 is completely rebuilt from original elements and a significant improvement over the Decca release of those elements.

Same for E.T., the new expanded set have a remastered version of the original album.

ET wasn't rebuilt from scratch either, because the original recording session elements for THAT album recording session ALSO burned up in the Unversal fire!  The album on CD2 of the LLL is a transfer of a 1/4" tape master from the 80s found in the UK .  That's now the earliest known element for that album since the fire.

The only John Williams OST albums Mike has completely rebuilt from the original first gen elements are 1941 and Home Alone.   Stanley and Iris original OST album can also be taken from the Deluxe Edition by just removing all the additional tracks.   CE3K also has 8 of its 10 tracks rebuilt within the LLL set.

The OST album presentations included in expanded sets for Jaws, Jaws 2, and ET are all new transfers of existed final edited masters, not rebuilds.  SpaceCamp likewise was a album master transfer and not a rebuild.  Off the top of my head I don't remember about The Fury, but I suspect he didn't redo any edits and its all the 1978 original analog edits.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

That is NOT correct!  The original recording elements for the Jaws album recording session burned up in the Universal fire, so the original album could NOT be reconstructed from original elements!  The album on CD2 of the Intrada set is just a new transfer of the 1992 CD master.  That's the earlier known element to exist for that album any more after the fire.

ET wasn't rebuilt from scratch either, because the original recording session elements for THAT album recording session ALSO burned up in the Unversal fire!  The album on CD2 of the LLL is a transfer of a 1/4" tape master from the 80s found in the UK .  That's now the earlier known element for that album since the fire.

I always knew a fire would destroy these treasures.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only John Williams OST albums Mike has completely rebuilt from the original first gen elements are 1941 and Home Alone.   Stanley and Iris original OST album can also be taken from the Deluxe Edition by just removing all the additional tracks.   CE3K also has 8 of its 10 tracks rebuilt within the LLL set.

I guess one of the two CE3K OST tracks which weren't rebuilt was the awful end credits edit which replaced JW's wonderful end credits suite in the first release of the movie. What's the other track?

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess one of the two CE3K OST tracks which weren't rebuilt was the awful end credits edit which replaced JW's wonderful end credits suite in the first release of the movie. What's the other track?

Don't you have the LLL album?  The final track of the OST is also the final track of the LLL set.

The two OST tracks not rebuilt are track one (the combo of the main title into TV Reveals and On The Road) and Nocturnal Pursuit (the edited hack job of Stars and Trucks and Across The Fields)

Jaws - Yes, it was one of my first JW soundtracks bought in the mid 90s.

E.T. - Yes, same as above.

Superman - Yes, same as above.

S.W. - Yes, but not until I bought The Ultimate Digial Collection that was released a few years back (was it two years?).

CE3K - Yes.

Raiders - Nope, only the expansion.

I am usually an advocate for OSTs - because I think they generally provide a better listening experience than expansions - but among this collection the only one I can even consider listening to in full is the E.T. OST.

For CE3K, I think that the expansion is “better” than the OST. But none of them are among my favorites.

In general: These days, rather than putting on a full cd - OST or otherwise - I tend to listen to my own curated playlists.

49 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I just realised I now own 4 different editions of Close Encounters and E.T.! 

5 versions of E.T., if you have the 20th anniversary live-to-picture DVD :)

@Jay I can buy that a lot of tapes were lost in the Universal fire, but what was a 1/4" tape of E.T. doing in the UK?

Regarding the thread topic: I play the expanded editions, always. Even if I choose not to play certain tracks, I still want the option to.

@Jurassic Shark is right; the DCC is the only way to fly!

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Don't you have the LLL album?  The final track of the OST is also the final track of the LLL set.

The two OST tracks not rebuilt are track one (the combo of the main title into TV Reveals and On The Road) and Nocturnal Pursuit (the edited hack job of Stars and Trucks and Across The Fields)

Thanks. And no, I haven't bought the LLL album yet, but I plan to mainly because of the greatly improved sound over the '98 release.

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's lots of music that's been sitting in a vault for 40 years you'll get to hear, too!

I know, and that's indeed interesting, but to me none of that's a must have. Even the music in Inside is included in JW's suite recorded shortly after. But the upgrade in sound quality is definitely noticeable.

Have you noticed how close the program on disc 1 is to the '98 release by rearranging a few tracks? Makes me wonder if they already then were inspired by the intended 2-LP program.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The final track of the OST is also the final track of the LLL set.

I guess they left out these two tracks because they didn't add much, and they would anyway have made the 2nd disc just over 80 minutes long.

Did JW have any say in the OST presentation after the 2-LP plans were dropped? @Josh500, is he credited as a producer on the OST?

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you noticed how close the program on disc 1 is to the '98 release by rearranging a few tracks? Makes me wonder if they already then were inspired by the intended 2-LP program.

Nah, simply a case of the complete score being short enough it almost fits on one disc, so if you take out the shortest tracks you're left with the meat of the score on one platter.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Did JW have any say in the OST presentation after the 2-LP plans were dropped?

That's a great question, I'd love to know more about why and how the OST program got changed from 2 LPs to 1LP and how much input JW had on the changes that resulted because of it.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's a great question, I'd love to know more about why and how the OST program got changed from 2 LPs to 1LP and how much input JW had on the changes that resulted because of it.

A question for the next MM interview! Some of the edits of the OST just don't seem up to JW's standard. And I guess the final track was edited together late in post-production, without JW's involvement.

The final track of the LP is literally just a dub of the music stem of the final theatrical film.  Exact same situation as the final track of the ET LP 5 years later.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Not the expansions or re-releases, but the true original soundtracks on CD? 

And if yes, do you sometimes still listen to these, or do you prefer the various expansions? 

I purchased all of them on vinyl at the time of their original release.

They were really enjoyable back in the day since that was all we had, but nowadays I listen to all scores as complete and chronological as possible.

OST albums have their own charm and attraction, I think, and I'm not just talking about these. They are what the public first got, they are part of movie history. Whatever comes later is always secondary, although these later editions might be more complete or in rare cases even perfect.

If this was literature, these would be the (among collectors) coveted and priceless First Editions.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

5 versions of E.T., if you have the 20th anniversary live-to-picture DVD :)

Yes, actually I do have that, although I don't consider this to be a music album. It's an isolated score, but it's still a DVD! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The final track of the LP is literally just a dub of the music stem of the final theatrical film.  Exact same situation as the final track of the ET LP 5 years later.

You've probably already commented on this, but which are the two other tracks not specifically recorded for the E.T. OST?

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I never got the original soundtracks for RAIDERS and STAR WARS on CD. I went directly for the DCC and Arista box in the 90s.

For the others, I have the OSTs, and I not only think they're superior to their expanded counterparts (all of which I've sampled and/or owned over the years) -- they're the only soundtracks I ever play in each case.

You don't have the 4CD JP/TLW either?

I haven't got it either, but I'm planning to check it out. I know there's not much additional music of any substance from JP, but there's a lot of additional music from TLW which could be interesting. I easily get bored by the OST; I'm hoping the extension includes some good tracks more in the vein of JP.

For me, the expanded version of TLW made me love this score, because I never was able to listen to the OST. Bad energy, bad balance of the action vs calm cues, I don't know. On the expanded set: perfect.

Judging TLW by it's OST, is like judging Return of the Jedi by his single-album OST.

Ok, you can like those OSTs... but they... lack something...

On 23/02/2018 at 11:36 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

You've probably already commented on this, but which are the two other tracks not specifically recorded for the E.T. OST?

On the ET OST album, 5 tracks were recorded specifically for the album

2    Abandoned And Pursued
3    E.T. And Me
4    E.T.'s Halloween
5    Flying
7    Over The Moon

Two tracks were taken from the normal film cues, but edited differently

1    Three Million Light Years From Home (this is 1M1R The Forest, the same piece of music as LLL D1T2 [from 0:00-3:27] where it's called "Far From Home", but on the OST album a section is edited out)

6    E.T. Phone Home (this is 10M2 E.T. Phones Home, the same piece of music as LLL D1 T20 where it's called "E.T. Is Alive", but on the OST album one passage is a different take than the take used in the film)

And finally one track is literally a dub of the actual film's music stem, taken from a point in time where a horn overlay that ultimately wasn't used was still included in the mix

8    Adventure On Earth (This is 11M1 The Rescue -> 11M3 The Bike Chase -> 11M4/12M1R The Departure, with Steven's Fix Insert & the ultimately unused horn overlay; The proper edit of these cues from the 1st gen elements is LLL D1T21 The Rescue and the Bike Chase & LLL D1T22 The Departure, though the horn overlay is not mixed in there.  The horn overlay can instead be heard on LLL D2 T19, where the Steven's Fix Insert is not edited in so you can hear how JW conceived the cue before Spielberg changed it)

You might enjoy looking at this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0E9cHkK-SqctUuLKYjNov1cm3DB7Dol3CCfQqmXPJUbNqwIrwdNTtn4FqV212S-3e_GltYaEDIUM8/pubhtml

OST of TLW is awesome. I never had any issue with it, either.... It is what it is, an album of highlights of a great action score.

However, the LLL edition is, as a fully immersive listening experience, ten times more awesome.

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

I purchased all of them on vinyl at the time of their original release.

They were really enjoyable back in the day since that was all we had, but nowadays I listen to all scores as complete and chronological as possible.

What if the OST had a better mastering?

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yes to all

But Japanese Superman c.d. I wonder why...did they ever make an  american one? I don't remember ever seeing one

Yes, but the american CD has only 14 tracks.

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

ah that must have been why I bought the Japanese one

Well, only idiots bought the US CD. (waiting Thor to answer it's the only version he has, and it's fine like this).

:sarcasm:

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

After all the many expansions we had and the comparisons via spreadhssets of the different releases I NEVER go back to original soundtracks and their quite messed (many times) order.

(i was just thinking this the other day listening to the Lincoln ost).

i want to follow with the film form of the music, and not a vague musical form to make the score sound pretty to the public.