Do you own the OST albums of Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, E.T., Raiders, and Superman?

Josh500

Do you have the OST albums of Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, E.T., and Raiders?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Jaws

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Star Wars

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Superman

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

After all the many expansions we had and the comparisons via spreadhssets of the different releases I NEVER go back to original soundtracks and their quite messed (many times) order.

Oh c'mon, going "expanded" is not like "when you go black..."!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « "when you go black, you" »

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oh c'mon, going "expanded" is not like "when you go black..."!

I'm not sure what "going black" means, but the first thing that came to mind is having sex with a black man/woman! :lol:

is this what you meant?

Got 'em all.

E.T. - MCA (both cover variants)

CE3K - Arista / Varese / DVD-Audio (forget the label for the last one)

Raiders - Polydor US / Polydor JP

Star Wars - RSO US

Superman - WB US / WB JP

Jaws

Also used to own Raiders, E.T., Superman and Star Wars on LP but got rid of them when I bought the CDs.

Never liked the CE3K album presentation, always prefered the Gerhardt, until the CE was released. Especially hate the edited end title.

Love all the other album presentations. Never noticed the mentioned bad sound on Raiders, but also haven't listened to that album since the DCC was released. Jaws is probably the album I've revisited the least, since it was the last one I acquired and it's sort of been overlooked since my collection started gaining momentum in the mid '90s.

I own 'em all, with MAYBE the exception of Raiders.  I honestly can't remember at this moment.

CE3K I got as a pack-in with a DVD set, but if I didn't have that I would have bought an old version around the time I went back and picked up Superman, ET, and Star Wars.

Well I'm listeing to the album CD issue of Raiders (oh boy, am I enjoying it too!), comparing it to the Concord. I sampled Flight from Peru and The Map Room: Dawn on both thus far. I must say, the sequencing on the album is perfect, lovely album to listen to.

To be honest, other than the obvious loudness of the Concord over the Polydor, and a bit more extension in the bass there is nothing to my ears to prefer in the Concord (other than the extra music naturally). I don't have the DCC handy to compare, it's on another device.

Sorry JS, I'm just not hearing it.

*shrugs*

Now, if we're talking Star Wars and Superman, the Arista and the Rhino expansions kill those albums sonically (alternate takes on the Arista notwithstanding).

EDIT: I'm on The Well of the Souls. Darn it, I really miss 80's style Williams.

Haven't really noticed re the choir. Will advise when I get to Miracle of the Ark.

NP: Desert Chase!!

EDIT: Definitely nothing unfocused about the brass on this track! Man, I'm enjoying this score. I've missed this.

EDIT 2: Marion's Theme *heart*

EDIT 3: Okay, just finished Miracle on the Polydor. First of all, what a powerhouse cue! Remind me why this score didn't win an Oscar? I'll admit that there seems to be a slight veiling effect on the album and a lower noise floor and more dynamic range on the Concord (quite understandable considering the Polydor was mastered for CD in the 80's, and was most likely a straight port from the vinyl master with no real "remastering" to speak of - frankly I'd be shocked if the Concord didn't sound quite a bit better, having benefitted from 20+ years of advancements in mastering). However, it certainly does not affect my enjoyment of the original album. I do remember comparing the DCC Desert Chase to the Concord a while back and finding the DCC also slightly veiled and softer than the Concord.

To be clear, I'm the guy that scratches his head when people here and elsewhere clamour for albums x, y and z to be remastered, so I'm probably not the best judge of these matters.

From Filmtracks.com:

The original Warner Brothers release from 1987, which can still be readily found on the secondary market, removed two tracks from the LP's presentation (including "Growing Up" and "Lex Luthor's Lair") to fit the score on a single CD. While the album did include the voice-overs at the end of the flying sequence, the original LP remained the most complete source of music from the Williams' score in the United States. A Japanese Warner Brothers CD release in 1990 (with nearly identical cover art) managed to squeeze the two missing tracks onto the CD, encompassing all music available on the LP and cassette releases to that date.

Probably because the CD was a relatively new medium at the time, and the 75 minute running time of the 2LP program would require 2 CD since the max. running time was less than 80 mins. in the format's early days. TESB was actually released on CD before ANH (from Filmtracks):

After their initial, separate releases on LP records and their early CDs, the editions of the scores on subsequent discs have always been released as a trilogy, despite your ability to usually buy them separately upon each update of all three. The first album release of The Empire Strikes Back, as mentioned before, reduced the 1980 2-LP release of 75 minutes down to 42 minutes and rearranged some of the cues. It was, surprisingly, released by Polydor as a bargain item in 1985 even before A New Hope made it onto CD from its original LP form in 1986. 

I started collecting soundtracks in 2010 and always bought the most expanded version that was available.

So I have/had:

The 2000 Decca Expansion of Jaws - now replaced by the 2015 Intrada Definitive Release

The 2004 Sony Classical Expansion of Star Wars

The 1999 Arista Expansion of Close Encounters of the Third Kind - now replaced by the 2017 La-La Land Definitive Release

The 2002 MCA Expansion of E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - now replaced by the 2017 La-La Land Definitive Release

The 2008 Concord Expansion of Raiders of the Lost Ark

The 2000 Rhino Definitive Release of Superman: The Movie

Technically, I own the OST of E.T. though.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

John and Jerry = John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith

I spend a lot of time, effort, and money to collect these artist's works.....

Mostly JW, though. Unlike JW, JG I just don't find good enough to want to collect every single note the man wrote and recorded. I'm happy with just the OST albums (and not the expansions).

4 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I have all OSTs of these. Too bad the speed on Raiders is wrong...

Oh not again the speed. :sarcasm:

This forum is sometimes like the groundhog day.

@Jay Can you tell me which tracks of the E.T. OST where not specifically re-recorded for the album?

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Oh not again the speed. :sarcasm:

This forum is sometimes like the groundhog day.

@Jay Can you tell me which tracks of the E.T. OST where not specifically re-recorded for the album?

From earlier in this thread:

On 2/23/2018 at 6:47 PM, Jay said:

On the ET OST album, 5 tracks were recorded specifically for the album

2    Abandoned And Pursued
3    E.T. And Me
4    E.T.'s Halloween
5    Flying
7    Over The Moon

Two tracks were taken from the normal film cues, but edited differently

1    Three Million Light Years From Home (this is 1M1R The Forest, the same piece of music as LLL D1T2 [from 0:00-3:27] where it's called "Far From Home", but on the OST album a section is edited out)

6    E.T. Phone Home (this is 10M2 E.T. Phones Home, the same piece of music as LLL D1 T20 where it's called "E.T. Is Alive", but on the OST album one passage is a different take than the take used in the film)

And finally one track is literally a dub of the actual film's music stem, taken from a point in time where a horn overlay that ultimate wasn't used was still included in the mix

8    Adventure On Earth (This is 11M1 The Rescue -> 11M3 The Bike Chase -> 11M4/12M1R The Departure, with Steven's Fix Insert & the ultimately unused horn overlay; The proper edit of these cues from the 1st gen elements is LLL D1T21 The Rescue and the Bike Chase & LLL D1T22 The Departure, though the horn overlay is not mixed in there.  The horn overlay can instead be heard on LLL D2 T19, where the Steven's Fix Insert is not edited in so you can hear how JW conceived the cue before Spielberg changed it)

You might enjoy looking at this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0E9cHkK-SqctUuLKYjNov1cm3DB7Dol3CCfQqmXPJUbNqwIrwdNTtn4FqV212S-3e_GltYaEDIUM8/pubhtml

However, I'm quite sure that Three Million Light Years From Home has different sounding organs on the OST and the 20th Anniversary Edition. Or maybe it's just the remastering which makes is more prominent on the 20th Anniversary Edition.

@Jurassic Shark :sarcasm:

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

From earlier in this thread:

However, I'm quite sure that Three Million Light Years From Home has different sounding organs on the OST and the 20th Anniversary Edition.

At 44 yo, I have now different sounding organs too.