Do you own the OST album of Return of the Jedi?

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

I already wrote that the cue list of this OST was clearly made to be spoiler free, remember it was meant to be the LAST Star Wars. (HA HA HA).

All my favorite cues are 100% spoilers! :P

Yoda's Death

Final Duel

Emperor's Death

Darth Vader's Death.

The only acceptable minimum for ROTJ, is the program of the Anthology boxset, it's 74 minutes. :pfft:

Disc: 3

1. Return Of The Jedi: Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare With CinemaScope Extension
  2. Return Of The Jedi: Main Title - Approaching The Death Star
  3. Return Of The Jedi: Han Solo Returns (At The Court Of Jabba The Hutt)
  4. Return Of The Jedi: Fight In The Dungeon
  5. Return Of The Jedi: The Return Of The Jedi
  6. Return Of The Jedi: The Emperor Arrives
  7. Return Of The Jedi: The Death Of Yoda
  8. Return Of The Jedi: Parade Of The Ewoks
  9. Return Of The Jedi: Luke And Leia
  10. Return Of The Jedi: The Emperor Confronts Luke
  11. Return Of The Jedi: Into The Trap
  12. Return Of The Jedi: First Ewok Battle - Fight WithThe Fighters
  13. Return Of The Jedi: The Forest Battle
  14. Return Of The Jedi: Final Duel - Into The Death Star
  15. Return Of The Jedi: The Emperor's Death
  16. Return Of The Jedi: Darth Vader's Death
  17. Return Of The Jedi: Through The Flames
  18. Return Of The Jedi: Leia Breaks The News - Funeral Pyre For A Jedi
  19. Return Of The Jedi: Ewok Celebration - Finale

PS: If the cue list of the next Star Wars OST (that will come out shortly before the movie itself) contains cues like "Rey's Death", "Ben's Death" & "C-3PO's Death", many people will be disapointed! :sarcasm:

2 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Again, people don't seem to know how to listen to the ROTJ OST properly. You need to approach it like a symphony that merely represents the score's thematic ideas into a broader musical narrative. Think of it as an echo of the film score you know - a part of itself the composer left behind.

:sleepy:

Really I'd given up on RotJ for a long time. The RCA SE was too long and tedious, with atrocious sound quality. So then I got the Arista, which was an improvement, but still failed to win me over. Then I finally bought the OST and was astonished at how well it played - the right length, never overstayed its welcome, never a tedious moment, and paced beautifully. It's now my favourite SW album.

6 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Are you saying I can leave the complete chronological score?

I can't leave it.  I'm listening to the OST already, remember?  But I bet I know someone who can.  And from his point of view, he just got here too.

5 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Really I'd given up on RotJ for a long time. The RCA SE was too long and tedious, with atrocious sound quality. So then I got the Arista, which was an improvement, but still failed to win me over. Then I finally bought the OST and was astonished at how well it played - the right length, never overstayed its welcome, never a tedious moment, and paced beautifully. It's now my favourite SW album.

Lapti Nek?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I own the OST album on CD and enjoy its sound quality but prefer the complete score, or just disc 3 of the 1993 set.

That's what the 2LP program should have looked like.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Lapti Nek?

That's what the 2LP program should have looked like.

It's too chronological on the Anthology. Williams would have never released it like that.

2 hours ago, Ricard said:

The ROTJ LP is not a bad selection, especially considering that the album is the result of Lucas' decision of not releasing Williams' originally planned 2LP.

Do we actually know that a 2 LP set was ever planned? 

As the the OP's question, yes I do own it (Polydor US CD). I love the score but dislike the album presentation. As Bespin said, most of the best cues were not on there. Fortunately, the Gerhardt and Kojian re-recordings added a few welcome unreleased cues to tide us over until the Arista was released in '93.

I've tried to imagine what a 2 LP set would have been, complete with intra-track edits and an assembly sequenced for listening enjoyment rather than chronology.

I have both the Polydor (USA) and the RSO (W. German). I always loved the soundtrack but I couldn't wait to hear more of it as a kid. I could never fathom why "The Final Duel" was left off the original soundtrack. 

thumbnail_IMG_2791.jpg

Disney should have added 30 minutes of music to the re-release of RotJ, so each score would have been presented with the same amount of music.

Fight in the Dungeon 3:38

The Death of Yoda 6:03

Faking the Code 4:10

The Emperor Confronts Luke 3:26

First Ewok Battle/Fight with the Fighters 7:18

Final Duel/Into the Death Star 3:37

Darth Vader's Death 2:31

With alternate names of course and inserted into the program, so that it makes a great listening experience, these tracks are missing for a proper 2LP presentation.

Inspite of me having bought the ROTJ soundtrack numerous times over the years (The Anthology, The SE, the digital download) I never bothered to track down the OST.

Is the RSO the one to own in regards to sound quality?

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

Inspite of me having bought the ROTJ soundtrack numerous times over the years (The Anthology, The SE, the digital download) I never bothered to track down the OST.

Is the RSO the one to own in regards to sound quality?

I doubt there's any difference between the Polydor and the RSO pressing of the OST.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Paul Andrew MacLean said:

Years ago I read a transcript of an event where George Lucas was answering questions from fans, one of whom asked why the return of the Jedi soundtrack was only released as a single LP.  "We didn't think there was enough music to warrant a two-record set" came Lucas' reply.

Yes, that's the exact quote. That event took place over 30 years ago and the interview was published either in Starlog or the LFL Fan club magazine. Lucas' response made as little sense back then as it does now, and personally I've always translated it as "in 1983 there's no market for a score-only 2LP", despite Williams' original and natural intention of finishing the trilogy as he started it.

Lucas was saying there was too much music in the complete score for a definitive listening experience. I'm sure Williams agreed. The original program is perfection.

You all will have another chance to own it very soon.

3 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Do you have the Japanese release of SpaceCamp?

Is that the OS soundtrack album? Or the re-release?

I said OS album.