Do you own the OST album of Return of the Jedi?

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

10 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Complete scores-tend to be less-than the sum of their parts when listening experience is factored in. 

There's a certain twisted (dare I say "pretzel" :)?) logic, in that. 

When it was released, the OST of E.T. was the most joyous soundtrack-listening experience, ever.

A Q.Q. about the ROTJ OST: was it ever planned as a double album, and, if so, does anyone know the track listing?

I remember being very disappointed, in 1983, when I purchased...a single LP?! The UK edition didn't even have the gatefold sleeve. The bastards.

On 24/02/2018 at 9:44 PM, Darth Porkins said:

I have both the Polydor (USA) and the RSO (W. German). I always loved the soundtrack but I couldn't wait to hear more of it as a kid. I could never fathom why "The Final Duel" was left off the original soundtrack. 

thumbnail_IMG_2791.jpg

Is there any difference in sound quality, with these CDs?

I'm not old enough to have experienced the ROTJ OST when it was first released but as an album now I find it lacks too many of the great moments from the whole score to make for a satisfying listening experience. I appreciate the sound quality though and how some of the tracks are edited to represent big cinematic moments like Into the Trap. I also dislike it when OSTs present the film music wildly out of order. 

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I also dislike it when OSTs present the film music wildly out of order. 

It's not about following the order of the movie. It's about the music.

Sometimes I like the album presentation but I know the movies so well I like to listen to it in order because it all plays out in my mind. I can tell you when every note of TFA happens in the film and Rogue One I know like the back of my hand.

On 25/03/2018 at 7:49 PM, Richard said:

There's a certain twisted (dare I say "pretzel" :)?) logic, in that. 

When it was released, the OST of E.T. was the most joyous soundtrack-listening experience, ever.

A Q.Q. about the ROTJ OST: was it ever planned as a double album, and, if so, does anyone know the track listing?

I remember being very disappointed, in 1983, when I purchased...a single LP?! The UK edition didn't even have the gatefold sleeve. The bastards.

It's possible that the subsequent released gatefold sleeve was infact the default cover for the originally planned double LP

4 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It's not about following the order of the movie. It's about the music.

True but even the music has an intended sequential presentation that feels right. For example, Into The Trap is written as 3rd act music, highly dramatic and bombastic, something written as a lead into the climax of the film. Musically, I think it is more satisfying towards the end of an album listening experience rather than towards the beginning. An even more dramatic example is how all the climatic Bespin music in ESB is split up across the ESB OST but musically they all make more musical sense in their chronological order and build wonderfully off of each other until the big finish in Hyperspace. But on the ESB OST Hyperspace is somewhere in the middle of the album, divorced from the music that leads into it, and doesn't lead into the big melodic finish before the end titles. Even from a purely musical perspective, a more sequential presentation, not C & C, would work better. 

Personally I've only ever listened to the album tracks in album order when they are first released. After that I listen to random tracks based on what I'm in the mood for. I don't think I've ever really just sat down and listened to the albums for the original six films at all before. I just listen to random cues I like on my computer when I feel like it.

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

It's possible that the susequent released gatefold sleeve was infact the default for the originally planned double LP

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

@Steve H means "was a gatefold sleeve created, in anticipation of ROTJ being a double LP?"

It still doesn't explain why the UK got only a single sleeve.

Am I right in assuming that STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, and TESB, were the only three JW vinyl double albums?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Am I right in assuming that STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, and TESB, were the only three JW vinyl double albums?

At the time of original release, yes, though many scores from the CD era later got 2LP vinyl editions.  

Here in Australia the single LP of Raiders was repressed sometime in the mid to late 80's with a gatefold sleeve. 

Raiders LP

On 25/03/2018 at 2:38 AM, Paul Andrew MacLean said:

Years ago I read a transcript of an event where George Lucas was answering questions from fans, one of whom asked why the return of the Jedi soundtrack was only released as a single LP.  "We didn't think there was enough music to warrant a two-record set" came Lucas' reply.

In any case, even with one LP, there could have been better use of that single disc's real estate.  I'd have been happy to see "Han Solo Returns" excluded in favor of something more listenable (like "Alliance Assembly").  And while I understand that John Williams put effort into the concert arrangements "Luke and Leia" and "Parade of Ewoks" they are adequately quoted in the end title (plus they were recorded by Charles Gerhardt for the RCA album, as well as by Williams for a Boston Pops album soon after anyway).

In answer to the original question, I own the Jedi LP, but never bought the CD, since I found the original album such a disappointment.

On the LP the track Han Rolo Returns dials out and segue's straight into the concert version of Williams' Jabba The Hutt theme. Its a pretty fun track and was featured on the RCA Gerhardt album. I suppose it logical to assume it was going to be on the planned 2LP but since it was nixed it seemed the segue was the only way it (the last portion of it anyway) could be part of the single disc release. Shame.  

On 3/24/2018 at 8:38 AM, Paul Andrew MacLean said:

Years ago I read a transcript of an event where George Lucas was answering questions from fans, one of whom asked why the return of the Jedi soundtrack was only released as a single LP.  "We didn't think there was enough music to warrant a two-record set" came Lucas' reply.

He may have been asked this more than once, but I have a feeling that was at the 10th anniversary convention.  (I was there!)

Ahhh, the first time I remember thinking Lucas was full of it.

15 hours ago, Richard said:

@Steve H, that a fantastic fold-out sleeve. Would you be able to post the front and back covers? Is the front cover the Australian reissue poster, or is it the Amsel original?

Just the original Amsel cover. Pity it wasn't a double LP to begin with.

IMG_20180329_113704 (1).jpg

On 25/03/2018 at 7:49 PM, Richard said:

Is there any difference in sound quality, with these CDs?

From memory the OST contains the best version of  The Return Of The Jedi (or Sail Barge Assault) cue. The Anthology version contains an annoying clitch at the intro. 

• 1 month later...

The original Jedi LP seems to ask more questions than it does provide answers. Take the cue The Return of Han Solo (At the Court of Jabba the Hutt). This cue seems to segue into the concert version of Jabba the Hutt. The film version featured on the 97 set features a different arrangement of the Jabba material. The concert version of Jabba The Hutt is featured on the Charles Gerhardt Jedi rerecording and is quiet an enjoyable cue in and of itself. So was this concert version of Jabba's theme to be featured on the planned 2LP set of Jedi? That would make sense, unfortunatley the cue itself seems to be missing in action. It has never shown up on any release. If it was to be included how would the Han Solo cue have been featured? Presented as the film version or would it have segued into another cue? Just some random thoughts.

The Jabba Theme in all it's glory has been re-recorded by JW himself on this album.

It has a far better solo part than the one heard on the Gerhardt album.

And that's maybe why the original 1983 version will never see the light, JW is perhaps not happy with the writing of the solo part.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams conducts star wars trilogy skywalker »

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Jabba Theme in all it's glory has been re-recorded by JW himself on this album.

It has a far better solo part than the one heard on the Gerhardt album.

And that's maybe why the original 1983 version will never see the light, JW is perhaps not happy with the writing of the solo part.

You mean it's a different arrangement on the Gerhardt album compared to JW's rerecording?

Anyway, the recording to get is Kojian's.

So...my question from 25th March: was RETURN OF THE JEDI ever planned as a double-album, and, if so, what was the proposed running order?

Ps, it's official; RETURN OF THE JEDI, has overtaken THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK to become my favourite STAR WARS soundtrack.

@Richard We'll never know, next question please.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Ps, it's official; RETURN OF THE JEDI, has overtaken THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK to become my favourite STAR WARS soundtrack.

Fever. Take two Advil.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

What's your favourite cake?

The one I eat by the ocean, like in the song.

18 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@Richard We'll never know, next question please.

Fever. Take two Advil.

Oi! Cheeky :lol:

Anyway, if you doubt me, just relax, and take a nice long soak in the musical bubble-bath of BROTHER/SISTER, FATHER/SON.