Crucial Jerry Goldsmith Scores that Nobody Knows?

Brundlefly

Do I need these Jerry Goldsmith scores in my collection?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Along Came a Spider (2001)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  2. 2. Fierce Creatures (1997)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  3. 3. Two Days in the Valley (1996)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  4. 4. City Hall (1996)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  5. 5. I.Q. (1994)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  6. 6. Angie (1994)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  7. 7. Malice (1993)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  8. 8. Six Degrees of Separation (1993)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  9. 9. The Vanishing (1993)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  10. 10. Mr. Baseball (1992)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  11. 11. Mom and Dad Save the World (1991)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  12. 12. Not Without My Daughter

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  13. 13. Rent-A-Cop (1988)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  14. 14. Supergirl (1984)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  15. 15. The Lonely Guy (1984)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  16. 16. The Salamander (1981)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!
  17. 17. Players (1979)

• No, not at all!
    • Maybe, I don't know.
    • Yes, of course!

• 3 weeks later...
On 24.4.2018 at 10:07 PM, Richard said:

The difference is in orchestration. You'll understand, when you hear. Don't worry, if really is a good score.

Meanwhile it arrived and... well... I somehow didn't expect what I finally got. My mother was with me when I listened to Logan's Run for the first time and we both had a hard time suppressing the laughters about Mr. Goldsmith losing it completely (track 2 and 3). As you said, Richard, it really is an odd combination of two halves (Super Mario meets The Omen). I really cannot imagine what the movie is like. Nevermind, I like this experimental score a lot!

However, Damnation Alley... just wow... an instant favourite of mine!

Check out Night Crossings - a very fine early '80's score that is similar to his Star Trek music of that period.  Unfortunately it is sold out but maybe you can find it online:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8754/.f?sc=13&category=-113

12 minutes ago, karelm said:

Check out Night Crossings - a very fine early '80's score that is similar to his Star Trek music of that period.  Unfortunately it is sold out but maybe you can find it online:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8754/.f?sc=13&category=-113

This score is already in my shelve... and one of my 10 personal favourites.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

My mother was with me when I listened to Logan's Run for the first time and we both had a hard time suppressing the laughters about Mr. Goldsmith losing it completely (track 2 and 3). As you said, Richard, it really is an odd combination of two halves (Super Mario meets The Omen). I really cannot imagine what the movie is like.

It's kitschy, goofy fun (most of the synth stuff in the dome plays for scenes that obviously were filmed in a shopping mall with extras dressed in bubblegum colors) but while the score has the brilliant three-note-theme (the opening) and two great action ballets, it's working best when attached to the movie.

11 hours ago, publicist said:

[...] while the score has the brilliant three-note-theme (the opening) and two great action ballets, it's working best when attached to the movie.

So, is the movie okay/good/great/outstanding/a Masterpiece?

I'm surprised that Studs Lonigan hasn't been mentioned yet.  The lengthy A Game Of Pool is worth the price of entry and includes a virtuosic piano performance from one Johnny Williams.

As for the scores that are actually listed in the first post, Caboblanco is tremendously underrated and a personal favourite.  The Great Train Robbery is rambunctious, flamboyant and quite brilliant.  Players has some fun fanfaric scherzos but not much substance.

• 5 months later...

Concerning the question "Crucial Jerry Goldsmith Movies that Nobody Knows" which doesn't deserve an own thread: Can somebody tell me about the films Powder, The Vanishing and Fierce Creatures? I've heard they were quite good.

• 7 months later...

Fierce Creatures is okay, a nice sometimes vulgar comedy, I haven't seen the rest.

By the way, are you gradually diminishing the number of scores you asked for, which means you bought them?

On 5/16/2018 at 1:04 PM, Jim Ware said:

I'm surprised that Studs Lonigan hasn't been mentioned yet.  The lengthy A Game Of Pool is worth the price of entry and includes a virtuosic piano performance from one Johnny Williams.

As for the scores that are actually listed in the first post, Caboblanco is tremendously underrated and a personal favourite.  The Great Train Robbery is rambunctious, flamboyant and quite brilliant.  Players has some fun fanfaric scherzos but not much substance.

One of the two love themes (the darker one) does have some substance, IMO. My favorite part of the score. I agree about the rest of it.

Thanks for mentioning the brilliant Studs Lonigan! We all unanimously rated it a 9.5/10 in our Goldsmith Odyssey podcast. An early masterwork, and definitely the best work overall he had composed for film, up to that point (though I really like his previous three scores too, and on main theme alone Black Patch might win).

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/866001-episode-15-studs-lonigan-1960

Yavar