R.I.P. Lewis Gilbert

A24

He directed two of my all time favourites...Educating Rita (still waiting on the Blu-Ray for that one) and The Spy Who Loved Me, which is the best James Bond movie.

Educating Rita was the last good picture I made before I mentally retired.

-Michael Caine

RIP Lewis Gilbert.

Being a Kenneth More fan he did a few with him on the quiet -Crichton, Sink the Bismarck, Greengage Summer and Reach for the Sky. Huge fan of his non-Bond work (being a Bond fan I don't mind them) but you had films like Rita, Carve Her Name With Pride and of course Alfie (plus the aforementioned More war films). Great loss and another from that era never to be again.

8 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

He also directed a funny flick I enjoyed called Shirley Valentine. Good score in that one too.

Where's me chips and egg? I always have chips and egg!

I'm gonna have sex for breakfast, sex for lunch, and sex for supper. It's called the F-Plan diet! 

I love the way that Bernard Hill literally doesn't recognise Pauline Collins, at the end of the film. Like EDUCATING RITA, that's the point, but its a touching scene.

Not many people know that! :lol:

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

You Only Live Twice is one of my favorite Bond films, and Educating Rita is also really great. RIP!!!

As has been said, YOLT is the only Bond film to actually explore a foreign culture, rather than use the country as a backdrop to action.

That makes it special.

Plus SPACE MARCH :)

Plus "I give you finest duck" :lol:

Plus Freddie Young's photography.

Plus the fight at the Kobe docks, and that astonishing helicopter shot, probably the best single shot in a Bond film, ever!

12 hours ago, Richard said:

As has been said, YOLT is the only Bond film to actually explore a foreign culture, rather than use the country as a backdrop to action.

That makes it special.

Plus SPACE MARCH :)

Plus "I give you finest duck" :lol:

Plus Freddie Young's photography.

Plus the fight at the Kobe docks, and that astonishing helicopter shot, probably the best single shot in a Bond film, ever!

The theme song and score are one of the series best. 

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The film itself hasn't aged well though. It plays almost like a Bond parody at times.

The Spy Who Loved Me was Gilbert's best Bond.

Agreed, on both counts. It seems that YOLT was the first of the "mega-Bonds".

TSWLM is not only Gilbert's best Bond, it's probably the most out-and-out entertaining of all the Bonds, and it has that absolutely gorgeous first shot of Bond in Cairo, silhouetted in a archway. Wonderful. 

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The film itself hasn't aged well though. It plays almost like a Bond parody at times.

The Spy Who Loved Me was Gilbert's best Bond.

True.

One of the best Bonds period.

TSWLM at least gives Shane Rimmer something to do. As was the norm, Gilbert got his brother-in-law Sidney Tafler into the film (the Liparus' captain). Did like to use the same actors if he could -the actor who takes responsibility for HMS Ranger (after the CO is killed during the gunfight on the tanker), crops up as the doomed 747 co-pilot in Moonraker and Educating Rita.