13. Ticket to Vienna
  14. Telephone Code
  15. Searching Nate's Apartment
  16. Can I Trust You?
  17. Switching Disks
  18. So What Next?
  19. Didn't I Do Well?
  20. End Titles

Seems like the CD (and download) is dropping tomorrow in the States - https://www.amazon.com/Sparrow-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B079VDDDWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519895816&sr=8-1&keywords=red+sparrow+james+newton+howard 

Saw the film earlier this week and really really liked it. JNH does some very good work here, a combination of Hermann and classical Russian flourishes (especially in the opening and closing).

Yes. The Overture is really a powerhouse piece (the End Title suite more or less recapitulates the same material, but adds some more oomph), some of JNH's most classical writing. The penultimate cue also has some very nice female choir stuff going on.

The rest is in his "ambient/drone" vein (albeit with some occasional nice flute/string writing). Makes me wonder if the Overture/End Title is what JNH likes to write, while the underscore is what the filmmakers want him to write :D

The Tchaikovski running through the classicist passages might be a layoff from Disney's Nutcracker movie...? (though it's mostly in the 'concert' cues, another case of JNH having fun á la Last Airbender or Maleficent). 

Anyone have a "best of" playlist? Don't really have the patience for JNH drones and drums.

1 minute ago, KK said:

Anyone have a "best of" playlist? Don't really have the patience for JNH drones and drums.

First track and the last two? That's 30 minutes of music for you already.

Karol

This one could be a decent 40 minute playlist:

1. Overture
11. Blonde Suits You
16. Can I Trust You?
18. So What Next?
19. Didn't I Do Well?
20. End Titles

Love the overture, as well as a few cues (Arriving At Sparrow School has some haunting vocals), and end credits. The rest of the ambient stuff, I can take or leave though. There are some great Russian themes and strings in this score though. 

OK after my first full listen I can say this is a pretty interesting score. Perhaps bit shapeless in terms of obvious storytelling drive but, for the most part, well written. And I assume subsequent listen might reveal more. I don't think the 77-minute album helps and there are some cues that are slightly on a weaker side...but the majority of it is good enough for me to buy the CD when it comes out LLL later this month. Now this is the JNH I like.

Karol - wondering how much of this Slavic flair will be carried over to The Nutcracker.

Wow, great balletic writing, especially the main pieces at the opening and closing of the score. 

Some of the woodwinds and strings are so whimsically light and fun that it's strange that this music is associated with what appears to be such a standard espionage film. It makes me interested in seeing the film to find out how this kind of music works.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

OK after my first full listen I can say this is a pretty interesting score. Perhaps bit shapeless in terms of obvious storytelling drive but, for the most part, well written. And I assume subsequent listen might reveal more. I don't think the 77-minute album helps and there are some cues that are slightly on a weaker side...but the majority of it is good enough for me to buy the CD when it comes out LLL later this month. Now this is the JNH I like.

Karol - wondering how much of this Slavic flair will be carried over to The Nutcracker.

LLL? It’s available now from Sony Classical. 

Great music, but definitely too long with too much underscore. The best, almost outstanding are tracks 1, 19 and 20. Wonderful, ominous and intriguing. 30 minutes of pure beauty with the influence of the greats, like Tchaikovsky or even Mozart, but also Bernard Herrmann.  But the CD is too long! 76 minutes? C'mon...

I will probably program the CD  in this way. It would be a very good 48-minute album.

01. Overture (11:34)
05. Arriving at Sparrow School (2:51)
06. Training (1:43)
10. Follow the Trail Wherever It Leads You (2:30)
11. Blonde Suits You (4:59)
13. Ticket to Vienna (1:45)
14. Telephone Code (1:10)
16. Can I Trust You? (3:06)
19. Didn’t I Do Well? (8:48)
20. End Titles (9:30)