A LIFE IN MUSIC - NEW 2018 London Symphony Orchestra album of John Williams material

Miguel Andrade

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

it has the choir but sounds way different than the choir on the OST

Yes! Probably not arranged by Williams.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:29 PM, Drew said:

This totally should have had some pieces from the Star Wars sequels. Just to hear what it might have sounded like with the LSO...

I was hoping for Rey's Theme at least to be on there to hear it with them. Or Scherzo for X Wings...

Some versions of this CD already replaced the old ones on my TREMENDOUS BEST OF Spotify Playlist (btw everyone here should suscribed to it!)

It’s a decent enough album, but I don’t think any of the performances will replace earlier recordings by the Boston Pops or the OSTs as my go-tos.  I find the tempos just a touch on the slow side overall. Just a few extra ticks on the metronome for the Raiders March and Superman would give them a great deal more energy. Also, Greenaway’s conducting is a bit over the top with his huge ritardandos at the ends of several tracks, Jurassic Park in particular.

For what it is, a nice John Williams sampler, it mostly gets the job done. I wish it was longer like everybody else here, but they probably recorded it in a single day and that’s what they had. (I figure the “packed it full” remark referred to the recording sessions rather than the actual CD.  Two three-hour sessions is probably just about right for this.)

The endings of some tracks is what I didn't like either. They finish too grandiose, like they're performing a live concert and the audience will burst into applause at the end. Doesn't work when it's a studio recording for an album. 

The album does the job it’s supposed to do, no more, no less. Charting as high as it has in the UK hopefully means there might come a vol. 2 that covers more “interesting” material.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

The endings of some tracks is what I didn't like either. They finish too grandiose, like they're performing a live concert and the audience will burst into applause at the end. Doesn't work when it's a studio recording for an album. 

I like that. And you're free to applaud whenever you like while listening to the album. :)

I suppose it's very clear who this release is targeted at. But my question remains: do we really need another one?

Reckon they'll be selling them at the RAH concert? I've only been there a few times some years ago so I don't know whether they do that sort of thing.

If they do a volume two down the line, it’ll be more of the same.

No Monsignor, The Eiger Sanction or The Accidental Tourist...

But we’ll get The Imperial March, Suite from CE3K and the theme from Jurassic Park.

On 18/05/2018 at 7:48 AM, Jay said:

Doesn't work when it's a live performance either, or at least it's a very cheap effect. (Going just by your description, I haven't heard this recording)

On 18/05/2018 at 8:14 PM, rough cut said:

If they do a volume two down the line, it’ll be more of the same.

No Monsignor, The Eiger Sanction or The Accidental Tourist...

But we’ll get The Imperial March, Suite from CE3K and the theme from Jurassic Park.

On 18/05/2018 at 8:15 PM, Stefancos said:

Let's hope!

Is he due to record anything, in October, in London?

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why on earth haven't tehy announced a recording of that London concert anyway, what with the CD selling so well?

Fortunately, two concerts from Vienna will be recorded (both announced as TV Concert) so blu-ray seems inevitable. :)

On 24. 5. 2018 at 8:11 PM, Pawel P. said:

Fortunately, two concerts from Vienna will be recorded (both announced as TV Concert) so blu-ray seems inevitable. :)

Whoa, that's great news! :rock2: Have the Wiener Philharmoniker officially announced this themselves?

Officially not, it's too early. But since they wrote that it's a TV Concert, surely such a blu-ray will appear. Of course, only death and taxes are certain in life ;) In fact, there are quite a lot of Vienna Philharmonic blu-rays on the market.

Both blu-ray and a CD would be awesome! Just like VP do with all their New Year's and Summer Night's concerts. Ah, wishful thinking ... :sigh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I purchased this for practically nothing, and what I got was a digipak. Argh! Anybody knows if it exists as a regular jewel case release?

It's a digipak here in Australia too. Nothing wrong with that, you paper-hater.

And/or they could start with a 79-minute running time that includes Jane Eyre, the new Han Solo and the Princess suite, Jane Eyre, Far and Away and other things we actually need. (Not saying I have anything against the imperial march, I'm just a bit tired of the wasted opportunities.)

There's the original, and there's the Skywalker Symphony version. How many recordings of the exact same piece you've heard 100000 times and know inside out do you need? I could apply it to this whole album, probably the main reason I haven't checked it out.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think a couple of you missed rough cut's obvious sarcasm

Nevertheless...

1 hour ago, Holko said:

How many recordings of the exact same piece you've heard 100000 times and know inside out do you need?

I have more than 10 recordings of several Bruckner symphonies, 9 Planets, 4 Alpensinfonien. What do you think?

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

have more than 10 recordings of several Bruckner symphonies, 9 Planets, 4 Alpensinfonien. What do you think?

Exactly! My weakest spots when it comes to purchasing multiple recordings are Beethoven's symphonies, piano concertos, and piano sonatas, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, and Händel's Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks.