Sign in to follow this  
Yavar Moradi

New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY

On 11/8/2018 at 1:53 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Have you had a chance to listen yet?

Just did in fact. Really interesting, I had no idea about that Eidelman / Goldsmith story or how much involvement he had with Goldsmith, that Seattle fish bit gave me a particular chuckle. I should really listen to Christopher Columbus: The Discovery again. 

23 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Just did in fact. Really interesting, I had no idea about that Eidelman / Goldsmith story or how much involvement he had with Goldsmith, that Seattle fish bit gave me a particular chuckle. I should really listen to Christopher Columbus: The Discovery again. 

I'm glad you liked it! Just keep in mind, some of the best Christopher Columbus cues are missing from the album. We need a Deluxe Edition for this one, definitely.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm glad you liked it! Just keep in mind, some of the best Christopher Columbus cues are missing from the album. We need a Deluxe Edition for this one, definitely.

Yavar

Oh yeah absolutely. I saw the film years ago (it's not very good, but that's aside the point), and there was a lot of good sounding music that's been missing, that I'd love to see in an expanded edition sometime down the line. 

I know. It’s mystifying. In fact Doug Fake even replied to me on the boards about this score, saying that Intrada (who worked with Cliff early on with Magdalene) very much wanted to put out that score, and would have definitely made it a longer program.

Yavar

The Goldsmith Odyssey is taking a break for the holidays, but before we do, we're ending our first season on a high note: Jerry's sole feature film credit of 1960, Studs Lonigan. I think this may be our best episode yet! The film was a great deal of fun to discuss, in spite (or perhaps because) of its flaws. But the score is probably the most impressive work we've covered so far, and to our surprise we discovered that the existing albums for the score are not complete. Listen to our show to discover at least a couple of substantial unreleased cues:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/866001-episode-15-studs-lonigan-1960

74cb75bab2243992e98fab5156007185827084cf

@publicist @Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one! (plus anyone else inclined to chime in...)

Yavar

Just listened to it. Interesting score and discussion. I can't say I've ever heard of Studs Lonigan, and had no idea it was considered a top novel at one point. In fact I didn't even know the title until I explored Goldsmith's IMDb filmography years ago. Way way way before my time.

As for the score itself, it sounds really good, but based off first impressions it probably wouldn't be considered top tier Goldsmith for me. I do see that even early on in his career he was exploring multiple different styles in a film. I think my favorite bit out of the music that I heard, was the "jauntier" version of the main title, which definitely reminds me of a western especially with that harmonic. Keep up the good work guys. 

I keep waiting for you guys to finally enter the late 60's...😎

It's all too long, i would edit this thing for brevity's sake to 50 minutes, it's awfully hard to keep up interest for footnotes like 'Studs Lonigan' for the length of a Harry Potter movie.  The score is of course of a high musicianship, the allusions to Weill well-played (who used this 'crime tango' idiom for small time crooks i. e. in Brecht's Three Penny Opera), but it's nothing i like to listen to, as it is somehow out of my interest zone (the theme got reused in 'Justine' to better effect). It's a study piece for Goldsmith lovers and amazing how formed his musical persona at this early time is already.

The second season of The Goldsmith Odyssey opens with some wonderful western scoring you may not be familiar with:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/927433-episode-16-have-gun-will-travel-flaming-star-1960

hgwt_art.jpg

Do check it out and let me know what you think! The cue Jerry wrote for Flaming Star (1960) in particular just keeps growing on me the more I hear it, and his score for "A Head of Hair" from Have Gun Will Travel I knew I loved, right as soon as I heard that fantastic main theme...

There's also a fun little interview I conducted with Bruce Kimmel of Kritzerland, before 2018 ended:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/902063-odyssey-interviews-bruce-kimmel

Yavar

@Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M., heads up!

@publicist, this one might be considered "too long" by your standards though we are covering three things...

Tonight, reconstructionist extraordinaire Leigh Phillips joins The Goldsmith Odyssey for a combined interview and examination of one of his favorite Goldsmith Thriller scores ("The Poisoner", Jerry's second work on the series...we will cover his first next time.)

bzk45G5.jpg

Yavar

@Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M., heads up!

@publicist, this one is only long because the first half is like a full-on interview.

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/944720-episode-17-thriller-the-poisoner-1961

A combination interview of master reconstructionist Leigh Phillips (The Salamander on Tadlow Records, among many others), plus examination of "The Poisoner", Jerry's second work for Thriller and one of Leigh's personal favorites...this is one you can't miss, as it launches us into the Thrillerverse and makes some real surprise connections with important later Goldsmith scores such as The Blue Max and even Basic Instinct!

As always, I'd love to know what you all think!

Yavar

P.S. Before anyone asks, yes we know we didn't talk to Leigh about his fine work on Intrada's Damnation Alley...THIS time. We will definitely ask him about it when he joins us for another Thriller excursion in the future.

Yeah Contract on Cherry Street is an overlooked masterpiece, probably because it was written for television. But personally I listen to it much more often than, say, Chinatown (even though I acknowledge that is also a masterpiece!) Shows how well Goldsmith could master and unify a variety of styles.

Newman isn't *always* happy in the interview...there were one or two points where he actually gets kinda animated in an upset way, about certain things. I actually really appreciated his off the cuff "F you, man!" (not directed at me, haha) and several uses of the word "bullshit". :D He was a great and generous interviewee who spoke with me much longer than he had originally planned, to the benefit of our listeners and this important project. I'm glad it didn't go on at too long of a length for you, and that it was your favorite so far!

Yavar

The generous length was warranted here...😎

If you get more interviewees from that side, i think what would be a very important contribution: either trivia or analytical dissection at which point in the scoring process the inevitable outside interferences start and how that so dramatically changed the landscape. A starting point here would have been to point out to Newman the increasing rejections after Legend, and if JG ever elaborated on those cases (in Newman's case: how stuff like this affects in his own work).

I think zooming in on some of these cases (and maybe some lesser known things) like on Alien (or Basic Instinct), where we know a lot of what happened would be great in forming a whole picture beyond all the gushing notes. I was always curious about the many rejections/aborted projects, JG referring to Wolfgang Petersen as 'that nazi kraut' in one of the magazines or the general love-hate-relationships beyond composer/director.

You sure do! And we recorded a new regular episode early this month, even before these recent two interviews I did; our new editor David has just been tied up with work so it won't come out until April.

Also, I should note for everyone that we just re-published the Justin Freer interview, and added more original compositions of his to the conversation about them in the last 15 minutes of the podcast -- if you liked the bit of his music we included before, go check out these unreleased exclusive pieces...one has an LA Confidential flavor to it!
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1012976-odyssey-interviews-justin-freer

Yavar

Freer also was an engaging speaker, who seems to share with JG a refreshing lack of pretention. I half-expected an eyebrow-raising glorification of 'Rudy's musical merits in this context (remember the cd booklet with everyone in the recording booth in tears over that score, a quintessential Hollywood moment like seeing a Tudor mansion amidst hundreds of palm trees)but Freer was remarkably honest about the factors for choosing it over musically much more important Goldsmith contributions. His own piece wasn't shabby, either.