Apart from the first and last tracks, which are your Top 5 tracks from the TFA and TLJ soundtrack albums?

Josh500

1. The Fathers - classic Indiana Jones action music!  (can't wait for Indiana Jones)

2. The Last Jedi - Great choral work and I love the looping force theme as Luke gives his speech

3. Lesson One - I love the hole falling music in the second half, makes a major impact in-film

4. Canto Bight - great wacky writing, I didn't know JW had it in him to write something this goofy

5. The Spark - for the heart-aching string interlude between "Luke and Leia's theme" and "Han and Leia's theme"

TFA:

Rey's Theme

Han and Leia

Fare and the Trip

Scherzo for X-Wings

The Starkiller

TLJ:

The Spark

The Rebellion is Reborn

The Battle of Crait

The Fathiers

The Supremacy

TFA: 

1. Farewell and the Trip

2. I Can Fly Anything

3. Han and Leia

4. The Falcon

5. Finn's Confession

TLJ:

1. The Last Jedi

2. The Battle of Crait

3. Peace and Purpose (mostly for that awesome Rebel Fanfare finish)

4. Canto Bight

5. The Rebellion is Reborn

I tend to be horrible at these sorts of rankings, as my preferences shift every now and then, but as of today I would have to say...

TFA:

1. Rey's Theme

2. Scherzo for X-Wings

3. March of the Resistance

4. The Abduction

5. The Ways of the Force

TLJ:

1. The Supremacy

2. The Rebellion Is Reborn

3. The Fathiers

4. Canto Bight

5. "Chrome Dome"

TFA:

1. The Ways Of The Force
  2. Torn Apart
  3. Kylo Ren Arrives At The Battle
  4. I Can Fly Anything
  5. Farewell And The Trip

TLJ:

1. The Last Jedi
  2. The Spark
  3. The Supremacy
  4. The Battle Of Crait
  5. A New Alliance

TFA:

1. Farewell And The Trip
  2. Rey's Theme
  3. Scherzo for X-Wings
  4. The Abduction
  5. I Can Fly Anything

TLJ:

1. The Battle Of Crait
  2. The Rebellion Is Reborn
  3. Ahch-To Island
  4. The Spark
  5. The Supremacy

TFA:

1. Rey’s Theme

2. The Ways of the Force

3. The Abduction

4. Farewell and the Trip

5. Scherzo for X-Wings

TLJ:

1. The Fathiers

2. The Battle of Crait

3. Lesson One

4. The Spark

5. The Last Jedi 

most of my favorite tracks are on the FYCs or FYCs film version

Kylo Ren Arrives at Battle, The Abduction,The Last Jedi are all superior to the OST and unreleased stuff like The Resistance, Holdo's Resolve...

Soundtrack albums:

TFA

Rey's Theme

The Abduction

On the Inside (this is a wonderful track that I will write about more at some stage, but it ticks so many boxes for me)

Farewell and the Trip

March of the Resistance

TLJ

The Rebellion is Reborn

The Battle of Crait

The Spark

The Last Jedi

The Fathiers

If I could choose from FYC and fan edits this would be very different. Primarily, the fan edit of "The Ways of the Force" that I have which includes "Scherzo for X-Wings" as it may have been originally intended is incredible, and "Holdo's Resolve" from TLJ is quite possibly my favourite cue from that whole score.

Episode VII

Rey's Theme

The Starkiller

The Abduction

Han and Leia

Ways of the Force (I prefer in a way the film version with the Burning Homestead part)

Episode VIII

The Supremacy

The Sacred Jedi Texts

The Spark

The Last Jedi

Peace and Purpose

2 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I actually prefer any Williams Star Wars score over Titanic.

Before TLJ, I would have agreed with you.  Titanic is fine but it's no Legends of the Fall

9 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I actually prefer any Williams Star Wars score over Titanic.

Man interesting comparison.

I think I prefer all of Williams Star Wars scores to Titanic, apart from Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens - my least favorite of the bunch in that order.

Yeah.

Originally, I didn't include Return of the Jedi in there, so it wasn't quite half of the scores, but in thinking about it, I had to add it, as well. Its mostly just the episodic nature of the film that makes it impossible to have a "main theme" in the way that Titanic and the other Star Wars scores have.

Hang on, you said many times you want third movies to clash previous existing material and praise Shore for doing it. Now you say you like Jedi less because it does that and doesn't have a new "main theme"? You can be a bit hard to figure out sometimes.

No, I don't have an issue with recurring thematic material from the previous episodes in Jedi. I have an issue with the fact that out of the new themes, none acts as the overarching theme of the picture, because the nature of the film is very episodic: it starts with Jabba and his material, than we move to the Ewoks and their material, and only than does the Emperor's material come to the forefront.

Oh, sure. Even with the Last Jedi, you can't call Rose's theme the "main theme" of the episode.

But than, you have something like the lament theme, which grows out of "Across the Stars" so while it doesn't make an appearance until the midpoint, it still sounds familiar.

On 4-3-2018 at 2:28 PM, Chen G. said:

Oh, sure. Even with the Last Jedi, you can't call Rose's theme the "main theme" of the episode.

But than, you have something like the lament theme, which grows out of "Across the Stars" so while it doesn't make an appearance until the midpoint, it still sounds familiar.

I’m quite intrigued by your dogmatic way of defining why you like things or not. To me, it’s very contradicting at times.

Anyways:

TFA

1. The Scavenger

2. Farewell and the Trip

3. The Resistance 

4. Follow me and the Falcon (if properly edited!)

5. I Can Fly Anything

TLJ

1. The Battle of Crait

2. The Fathiers

3. The Supremacy

4. The Last Jedi

5. The Rebellion is Reborn

Though choices I must say!

TFA: 

1. Rey’s theme
  2. Farewell and the trip 
  3. March of the Resistance
  4. The Falcon
  5. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle

TLJ:

1. The Spark
  2. The Battle of Crait
  3. The Rebellion Is Reborn 
  4. A New Alliance
  5. “Chrome Dome”

On 03/03/2018 at 4:30 PM, rough cut said:

Why are the first and last tracks exempt of this discussion?

I think because the first track always includes the Main Title, and the last track always includes the closing fanfare (and Binary Sunset, in most cases).

Still - omitting them skews the results.

If they'd been kept within the scope @Josh500 had been able to tell if JWfaners prefered the Main Title over the Finale (or the other way around), where they rank in order to other tracks, or if some users would omit them all together - All questions that won't be answered due to this omission. Had they been kept, @Josh500 would still have been able to conclude which the other top three tracks are which wouldn't have been to shabby.

To suppose that one knows the answer to a question - and change the question in regards to this bias - is an immediate way to get wrong results. I for one would not have included the Main Title in my top 5 for either TFA or TLA but perhaps others would as you point out. This is the reason why you'd want to keep the question as open as possible.

Sorry for the long reply, it's a hen out of a feather. It's not my poll and I guess you can ask whichever questions you want, just giving my thoughts about it.

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

Still - omitting them skews the results.

We all know the first and last tracks are generally (not by everybody, of course, but by most people) considered the best on any Star Wars album. I certainly consider them the best. That's a given, almost. So I wasn't interested in those. I wanted to know about the other tracks.

If you're interested in something else, create your own thread and/or poll! ;)

On 06/03/2018 at 6:38 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The first track includes the Star Wars theme, which is hard to deny as being awesome but it is in every movie. The finale's of both are all the themes mashed together for the end credits. I believe the point is to find individuality in this.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head.

Actually I'm really digging this right now. So beautiful and dramatic.... I can't stop listening to this.

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Escape should be one of the options, because it's neither part of the End Credits suite nor does it belong to the 90 second Main Title.

Escape is part of the first track, and we all know the first and last tracks contain some of the best music!

But you can add it to your list, sure. 

Just now, Brundlefly said:

I don't think the first track is always one of the best. Except Episode 3 I wouldn't choose any of them as one of my top 5 tracks.

Well, this is my impression.... Generally, I love listening to the main title and whatever comes afterward, so these are some of my favourites. 

For example, I find the first track of TFA to be mind-blowingly good.