What is the best John Williams box set/compilation for a beginner?

Inspired by something Bespin posted in another thread.

What is the best compilation or box set for a John Williams beginner? Does it exist? Or do you have your own program/playlist that you would recommend?

A box with unreleased tracks -- like a Williams TV box or something. THAT I would buy. As for compilations, I have zero interest.

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Wonder why these compilations should interest us, if they consist of previously released material. 

I for one already own every single individual JW release.

Well, as JWFan it is our duty to recommend any good starting point to a wanna-be fan. So we must know what are the best compilations.... they usually are the entry point to someone who wants to discover an artist.

Don't say "I for one already own every single individual JW release", rather say "What can I do for all the earth population becomes a JWfan like me".

;)

Well....

The 3 Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CDs and The Greatest Hits are probably the best place to start, if you're new. 

Otherwise, I'd just recommend his most famous OST albums, like Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, and Schindler's List. 

18 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Well....

The 3 Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CDs and The Greatest Hits are probably the best place to start, if you're new. 

I agree.

John Williams & Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection + Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams 1969 »

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Well, as JWFan it is our duty to recommend any good starting point to a wanna-be fan. So we must know what are the best compilations.... they usually are the entry point to someone who wants to discover an artist.

Don't say "I for one already own every single individual JW release", rather say "What can I do for all the earth population becomes a JWfan like me".

;)

Well, it's not like there's a shortage of JW compilations to choose from already.

My ultimate box set would be in the style of the FSM Superman box set, but for the Star Wars trilogy of trilogies.  I haven't done the math, but I'm guessing it would be five or six, 4-disc butterfly cases so 20 - 24 disc set.  Of course a proper presentation and remastering done be Mike Matessino would be ideal!  Top it off with a detailed booklet with informative liner notes that we've grown accustomed to. 

Then a close 2nd and 3rd would be similar to above but for Indiana Jones and Harry Potter 1-3.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

A box with unreleased tracks -- like a Williams TV box or something.

Yes, a TV box.

Or a box "John Williams - The Early years"

including all of his unreleased film scores! ;)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

;)

well, the thread title or post didn't ask what is a dream compilation to get people aquainted with Williams.

If that was the goal, it should have been more specific.

42 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

The ideal John Williams box set would be a collection of every minute of every score he has ever composed.

That'd be like a gigantic 200-CD boxset, costing around 4,000 Euros. You'd need a forklift just to carry it around.

I think I'd actually buy that. It'd be a Collectors Item. :D

40 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

The ideal John Williams box set would be a collection of every minute of every score he has ever composed.

exactly

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

Well, like I wrote in another thread, this 2-CD compilation is maybe STILL the greatest one on the market... but it stops in 1999...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams 1969 »

So I suggested a third CD, covering 2001 to 2017 (themes/concert suites to stay in the same idea):

01 Sound the Bells!

02 Hedwig's Theme from HP & The Sorcerer's Stone

03 Escapades from Catch Me if You Can: 1st movement (Spielberg/Williams III)

04 Across the Stars from AOTC

05 Harry's Wondrous World from HP & The Sorcerer's Stone

06 Battle of Heroes from ROTS

07 Sayuri's Theme & End Credits from Memoirs of a Geisha

08 Dartmoor 1912 from "War Horse" (Spielberg/Williams III)

09 With Malice Toward None (Spielberg/Williams III)

10 The Adventures of Mutt (Spielberg/Williams III)

11 The Duel from Tintin (Spielberg/Williams III)

12 The BFG Suite (Spielberg/Williams III)

13 The Jedi Steps and Finale from The Force Awakens

14 The Rebellion is Reborn (from The Last Jedi)

No love for HP II & III?

10 hours ago, Thor said:

A box with unreleased tracks -- like a Williams TV box or something. THAT I would buy. As for compilations, I have zero interest.

Why bother commenting here, then?  Is it THAT important to you for us to know you don't care?

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

Heidi ho, I guess no one has any real ideas save Bespin, eh?

I compiled a 15-disc compilation for myself a few years ago and had trouble cutting it down to size.  Asking for the contents of three discs of Williams music is like asking somebody to run into a burning animal shelter and only save a couple of puppies. 

2 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Why bother commenting here, then?  Is it THAT important to you for us to know you don't care?

Because you asked "What would be the ultimate John Williams box set?". My ultimate box set would be a box of unreleased TV tracks.

That's THE ultimate way to represent the works of John Williams in a box-set format?  Is that a thing you honestly think?

For the record, I'd buy a box set of unreleased Williams television work.  Maybe someday.

24 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

That's THE ultimate way to represent the works of John Williams in a box-set format?  Is that a thing you honestly think?

Ultimate for me, yes.

In terms of a representative compilation of his work, there is already a large amount to choose from.

Ultimate for you, certainly.  That's not what this thread is about; this thread (as I understand it) is asking, if you had about three hours of runtime in which to give the world your idea of what John Williams' music is all about, what would you put within that three(ish) hours.

I can understand you not having any interest in that as an idea, but I can't quite understand why you think we need to know that you don't have any interest in it.

Here's my setlist:

1.  Main Title and Overture (Heidi)

2.  The Cowboys Overture

3.  Main Title (Jaws)

4.  Main Title (Star Wars)

5.  Princess Leia's Theme  (Star Wars)

6.  Resolution & End Title (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

7.  Theme from Superman

8.  Main Title & Storm Sequence (Dracula)

9.  March from 1941

10.  Yoda's Theme (The Empire Strikes Back)

11.  The Imperial March  (The Empire Strikes Back)

12.  The Raiders March  (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

13.  Flying  (E.T.)

14.  Olympic Fanfare and Theme

15.  The River

16.  The Mission Theme  (NBC Nightly News)

17.  Liberty Fanfare

18.  The Dance of the Witches  (The Witches of Eastwick)

19.  Exsultate Justi  (Empire of the Sun)

20.  Cadillac of the Skies  (Empire of the Sun)

21.  A Second Chance  (The Accidental Tourist)

22.  Born on the fourth of July

23.  Presumed Innocent

24.  Home Alone Main Title

25.  Theme from JFK

26.  End Credits  (Far and Away)

27.  Theme from Jurassic Park

28.  Theme from Schindler's List

29.  Theme from Sabrina

30.  The 1960s: The Turbulent Years  (Nixon)

31.  Seven Years In Tibet

32.  Dry Your Tears, Afrika  (Amistad)

33.  Hymn to the Fallen  (Saving Private Ryan)

34.  Duel of the Fates  (The Phantom Menace)

35.  Where Dreams Are Born  (A.I.)

36.  Hedwig's Theme  (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

37.  Across the Stars  (Attack of the Clones)

38.  Catch Me If You Can

39.  Sayuri's Theme  (Memoirs of a Geisha)

40.  The Jedi Steps and Finale  (The Force Awakens)

Brutal.

7 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Ultimate for you, certainly.  That's not what this thread is about; this thread (as I understand it) is asking, if you had about three hours of runtime in which to give the world your idea of what John Williams' music is all about, what would you put within that three(ish) hours.

Well, that wasn't easy to glean from your first post. I'm not a mind reader. I interpreted it as what our own ultimate JW box would be. But thanks for clarifying. If I were to make such a recommendation to the world, I would first of all refer to the myriad of the existing compilations out there. If I were to produce a representative list myself, I would probably separate it in different categories -- the religious sound, the experimental, the jazz, the Americana etc. and then choose a few representative tracks within each.

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

To be clear, I didn't start the thread.  I'm just reading it! 

Yeah, and I didn't create the universe, I merely explain it :lol:

My ultimate box-set would be a 60-disc Blu Ray of complete versions of every JW score, plus all his jizz albums, plus an extra disc of all his songs. They will all be in advance resolution stereo, and in DTS-MA 7.1, remixed by either Elliott Scheiner, or Steven Wilson.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

The Music of America 3-disc set is probably one of the most representative compilations out there.  It has everything; film music, concert music, occasional pieces, celebratory pieces, and Olympic themes.

jw.jpg

17 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

The Music of America 3-disc set is probably one of the most representative compilations out there.  It has everything; film music, concert music, occasional pieces, celebratory pieces, and Olympic themes.

Also a favorite of mine.

On 3/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, Bespin said:

Well, like I wrote in another thread, this 2-CD compilation is maybe STILL the greatest one on the market... but it stops in 1999...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams 1969 »

So I suggested a third CD, covering 2001 to 2017 (themes/concert suites to stay in the same idea):

01 Sound the Bells!

02 Hedwig's Theme from HP & The Sorcerer's Stone

03 Escapades from Catch Me if You Can: 1st movement (Spielberg/Williams III)

04 Across the Stars from AOTC

05 Harry's Wondrous World from HP & The Sorcerer's Stone

06 Battle of Heroes from ROTS

07 Sayuri's Theme & End Credits from Memoirs of a Geisha

08 Dartmoor 1912 from "War Horse" (Spielberg/Williams III)

09 With Malice Toward None (Spielberg/Williams III)

10 The Adventures of Mutt (Spielberg/Williams III)

11 The Duel from Tintin (Spielberg/Williams III)

12 The BFG Suite (Spielberg/Williams III)

13 The Jedi Steps and Finale from The Force Awakens

14 The Rebellion is Reborn (from The Last Jedi)

Add The Book Thief, and it would be perfect.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 12:16 AM, Steve McQueen said:

Add The Book Thief, and it would be perfect.

The fact is nobody plays The book thief in concert, well I think...

• 3 months later...

Disc 1: The Best of John Williams

1. Theme from Jurassic Park

2. Journey to the Island

3. Welcome to Jurassic Park

4. The History Lesson

5. Jurassic Park Gate

6. Revealing the Plans

7. Monster on the Loose

8. Theme from Jurassic Park (again)

I wanted as much variety as possible. :)