John Williams Concert Works - your favourites?

Miz

There may already be a thread about this, but I cannot find it. I am beginning to explore the concert works of JW, am finding I seriously prefer some to others, and would like help exploring more. I've got a few albums and would like to know about the most highly praised works and any particularly good recordings...

2003 Concerto for Horn and Orchestra: Sounds rich and varied with the classic Williams sound that's going places, but I only have a live recording with coughs and sub-optimum sound quality. Are there others? Also, is this also on the JFK album, and why?

2002 Yo-Yo Ma plays John Williams: A difficult album for me to enjoy, though I love the cello. Heartwood and Elegy have magic but the rest of the album showcases some modern JW's modern writing, which I find jagged and, on cello, screechy. Sacrilegious!

2001 - Treesong and 1997 Five Sacred Trees, though distinct from one another, are both lyrical and accessible enough for me...

1996 Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra: Williams on brass! Not as coherent as I would like (that's the film music, after all) but I will give this one more time.

1976 Concerto for Violino and Orchestra: Quite dark and meandering, probably not one I could get into, especially considering the timbre of the violino...

Is the Concerto for Viola and Orchestra worth getting? Is it more romantic, or at least, harmonious and accessible, than the above?

My favorites are the tuba concerto and the cello concerto (love the similarities with Jurassic Park). Leonard Slatkin and the Detroit SO recorded several of JW's concerto for Naxos some years ago. They were only released digitally, but are available on Spotify.

Here's a great recording of the tuba concerto:

And here's the horn concerto:

19 minutes ago, Miz said:

Is the Concerto for Viola and Orchestra worth getting? Is it more romantic, or at least, harmonious and accessible, than the above?

Its a great piece, but I don't think any full recording is available. 

Here's a reduction for viola and piano.

Yeah, we've had a couple of threads about this over the years.

My favourite of the longer concert works is "Five Sacred Trees". My favourite of the shorter fanfares is probably "Celebrate Discovery" or "The Olympic Spirit".

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, we've had a couple of threads about this over the years.

My favourite of the longer concert works is "Five Sacred Trees". My favourite of the shorter fanfares is probably "Celebrate Discovery" or "The Olympic Spirit".

I forgot about the Five Sacred Trees. It's indeed good, and much better than his other "wooden" concerto, the Treesong.

I'm eagerly awaiting his follow-up, the Six Sacred Trees. It's gonna be 6/5 times as great.

Overall, I love the Violin Concerto most.  The original recording especially brings out the raw fire and heartbreak of the work.

I really like the Horn Concerto.

The Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra is also very entertaining.

The Duo Concertante is one work which I haven't been able to get into...

Not a big fan at all. The third movement of the piano suite Conversations may be my pick if I am forced to grab something. After a massive gap, then The Five Sacred Trees, Heartwood and the Violin concerto probably.

1 hour ago, Loert said:

The Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra is also very entertaining.

Immensely so. 

It has an energy that rivals his best action cues.

When is John going to get around to writing a whole Piano Concerto?

Soundings, Rounds.... I really dig the Viola Concerto, in particular the "family arguments" movement with the timpani. Great stuff.

Essay for Strings also comes to mind, particularly the second half. The first part seems too academic, like trying too hard to satisfy the intellectuals.

Aso, the Sinfonietta. And Heartwood. And the Five Sacred Trees. And agreed on the Scherzo for Piano, good good stuff.

All of his concert works have something to offer.  I will say I like "for seiji" the best.  Although I do consider the Memoirs suite a standalone concert piece, and if classified as such, it would be my favorite. 

The Cello Concerto. My favorite Williams piece all around. Yes, I prefer it over any of his film scores.

I really enjoy most of his concertos as some of my favorite music, though lately I've been listening a lot to his Duo Concertante. Conversations is another big favorite for me.

Of the concertos I can say I like them all, and preference sometimes goes with my overall mood. Nevertheless, the Trumpet Concerto always sounded a bit Barber-oriented, with some good measure of Copland in it, even if it still sounds as total Williams.

Of the orchestral pieces, Tributes "For Seiji" is just amazing, a mini concerto for orchestra. Soundings too! Though in the last couple of months I've been going back the most to his earlier, a bit more jazzy oriented Prelude and Fugue, Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey and Sinfonietta.

Of the shorter pieces, his more recent Just Down West Street... on the Left and For the President's Own are my favorite. The later has received a bunch of recordings already.

On the first post, there is mention of the Horn Concerto. Note that the only official release, with Pituch/Detroit SO/Slatkin was made live and I believe only meant for radio broadcast. This was prior to Slatkin appointment as music director of the DSO. After that and as he started the project of recording all of Williams concerti, they just went on and used that recording. All of his other releases so far are also live recordings, but maybe better engineered. By the way, this coming season, Slatkin will record the Oboe Concerto (a recording of that one is available as a digital release through the Boston SO site).

Thanks Miguel, comprehensive!

Is there any studio recording of the Viola Concerto? The only one I can find is full of coughs!

1 hour ago, Miz said:

Thanks Miguel, comprehensive!

Is there any studio recording of the Viola Concerto? The only one I can find is full of coughs!

To my knowldege the Viola Concerto was only performed in Boston and at the Peninsula Festival. I believe the audio you have is an audience recording of the former. 

On 07/03/2018 at 9:03 PM, Miz said:

2003 Concerto for Horn and Orchestra: Sounds rich and varied with the classic Williams sound that's going places, but I only have a live recording with coughs and sub-optimum sound quality. Are there others? Also, is this also on the JFK album, and why?

What do you mean the Horn Concerto being on the JFK album? JFK is from 1991, the Horn Concerto was premiered a dozen years later.

2 hours ago, Miz said:

Those are part of the handwritten sketches.

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Those are part of the handwritten sketches.

Those sketches also reveal a coda to the family argument section that was probably best left on the drawing board.  

• 1 month later...