Jump to content
leeallen01

Who should Score Peter Jackson's Mortal Engines?

Recommended Posts

There was a trailer that showed London being revealed in a kind of Spielberg fashion, which I liked.

 

Otherwise, I'm conceptually not too interested, with the exception of seeing Jackson (as a screenwriter, anyway) tackling a large-scale science-fiction story: unless you count Bad Taste, that's really a first for him.

 

Its on that ground too, that I should like to see his Tintin 2, to see him try his hand in animation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just came back from this. Quite disappointing, despite the intriguing premise and 'idea'. Why is it that Hollywood is seemingly unable to do a good steampunk movie?

 

Not thrilled with the score either, and I'm a Holkenborg fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Is Jackson Hollywood. He is certainly not American in his filmmaking.

 

It's more of a big, Hollywood-financed "product" than anything he's directed himself, including the HOBBITs. The Jackson trademark -- if there was any here in the first place, beyond the screenplay -- is nowhere to be seen (except maybe a couple of flashback scenes). Christian Rivers is no Peter Jackson!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming back from Desplat concert, I can't listen to these (probably) real instruments butchered to sound like some 50$ synths.

 

But I'll sure listen to it later today as I like numerous works from Holkenborg :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toothless said:

But I'll sure listen to it later today as I like numerous works from Holkenborg :)

 

A rare glimpse of positivity here. Kudos, sir.

 

BRIMSTONE, DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS, FURY ROAD -- three brilliant scores that made my Top 10 in each respective year. Also good ones are DEADPOOL, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (with Zimmer) and BLACK MASS. And of course a lot of what he did as electronica/pop composer/DJ back in the early 2000s. So I will always and forever be a fan. I just wish he did less of the projects that called for a massive, RC carbon copy sound like this.

 

In either case, looking forward to hear the whole thing on album; as a lot of it was buried in the film's sound mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the film earlier today and didn't go in with high expectations of the film or score after reading the reviews. To some extent I can see why the criticism that it received was so harsh, but it does better than most of the young adult fantasy/adventure types.

 

The score is a bit of a mixed bag and not without some surprise moves from Holkenborg, although he seems to have two predominant modes: All-out wall-to-wall action, or subdued, quiet piano plinkering. Overall I think it fits the film with all the amazing visuals, but a composer more suited to the grand scale score might've taken a more leitmotivic approach for the handful of characters, the array of cities and locations. I'm sure had Howard Shore or JNH taken up the gig, we'd have an abundance of thematic material to pick apart. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, crumbs said:

Jackson tainted his reputation with the Hobbit films and his name ain't gonna sell this turkey. 

It sickened me a bit when I saw: "From the creators of The Lord of the Rings".

 

We all know what happened since then (ahem-The Hobbit) and Jackson is simply not going to be able to pull off another stunt as impressive as TLOTR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't know about that. Believe me, I am the biggest hater of Junk XL, Balfe, Kaczynski, Zimmer's degraded old self, but this stuff is pretty good. Mostly totally orchestral (performed by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra with Conrad f:::ing Pope conducting). The reference points here are Conan the Barbarian for the love theme (as well as a heavy debt to Braveheart), lots of LOTR (though Junkified at times, there is a lot of Mount Doom in the action, especially No Going Back). The Wagner stuff makes sense as does the percussion but this is much beyond a normal Junk score (sure the simplistico endures, and sometimes old Tom-baby can't help himself and mixes in a dodgy bit of synth brass). Give it a try though, might surprise the more open minded of you lot. And there is a lot of woodwinds here, in all sorts of guises!

If I ever have anything positive to say about RC-fucking-P, I have to say it. Listen to this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, thestat said:

Well, I don't know about that. Believe me, I am the biggest hater of Junk XL, Balfe, Kaczynski, Zimmer's degraded old self, but this stuff is pretty good. Mostly totally orchestral (performed by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra with Conrad f:::ing Pope conducting). The reference points here are Conan the Barbarian for the love theme (as well as a heavy debt to Braveheart), lots of LOTR (though Junkified at times, there is a lot of Mount Doom in the action, especially No Going Back). The Wagner stuff makes sense as does the percussion but this is much beyond a normal Junk score (sure the simplistico endures, and sometimes old Tom-baby can't help himself and mixes in a dodgy bit of synth brass). Give it a try though, might surprise the more open minded of you lot. And there is a lot of woodwinds here, in all sorts of guises!

If I ever have anything positive to say about RC-fucking-P, I have to say it. Listen to this:

 

 

Actually some surprisingly nice stuff. I hear Terminator as well in the piano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who gives a crap about box office or popularity? If you are JG fans, well....This one is pretty good, der JunkMeister comes in with a dodgy brass or two but overall, I have no interest in the film, this is a Peter Jackson score that stands proud as a weak cousin to LOTR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mediocre acting and average writing at best. The score was so loud, it's like I was watching a 111 minute long movie trailer. It diminished the film more than it helped. The Rotten tomatoes score was right on for this film.

 

Film Rating: 3/5 or C

Score Rating: 2.5/5 or C-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm not honestly sure who scored this film (Junkie Man?), but I bet they're regretting it.

 

I don't think so. It's far from being Tom's best score, but it's certainly a lot better than it could have been in more generic hands. Listened to the album, and it fared better than when I saw the film. The score is certainly not the film's problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm not honestly sure who scored this film (Junkie Man?), but I bet they're regretting it.

I rather think talentless hack is more appropriate. Any fool that wants a nickname like that isn't getting my consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, he's written some good stuff.

 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

 

I don't think so. It's far from being Tom's best score, but it's certainly a lot better than it could have been in more generic hands. Listened to the album, and it fared better than when I saw the film. The score is certainly not the film's problem.

...and there's the proof :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...