The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

3 hours ago, Wojism said:

I was hoping John Cygan would be involved, as he was the voice of the Mandalore named Canderous Ordo in the two Knights of the Old Republic games, but he passed away several years ago. 

Aw man, I didn't know that. What a tremendous voice, with such an authentic sense of experience and world weariness.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:53 AM, Holko said:

Basing our designs on The Holiday Special? A bold choice.

From my "fringe" perspective, I'm seeing a trend where a lot of current Star Wars media is sneakily paying homage to its abandoned past; I'm sure the fans love it. They have to love something out there, yeah?

On 10/20/2018 at 2:10 PM, John said:

He looks broken. 

Every picture of George Lucas from the past couple of years has him looking like he was told exactly 1 second ahead of time that he was about to have his picture taken.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Gosh I love Lucas' style.  None of that geek chic bullshit you see from people like Giacchino and Abrams.  He looks like he does all his clothes shopping at Wal-Mart and it's awesome.

How do you feel about Spielberg's? 

Just now, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Spielberg started wearing scarves like James Horner and Johnny Depp.

Yeah but Depp's are a dumb rock 'n' roll affectation, which is more annoying than professorial affectation (Horner, Spielberg).

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I heard "Jon Favreau" is on the Late Show tonight. Turns out it's literally just some random guy also named Jon Favreau.

He was a speechwriter for President Obama, and I think now he's a writer or journalist?  I see him quoted on Twitter a lot and always wonder why Jon Favs is getting so political

I mean, he's not literally a random guy.

That would be an interesting talk show if they literally just pulled in random people from the street to be guests.  Like, keep all the glitzy production values but just interview normal people about their lives.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Letterman got close to that, back in the day.

Yeah, in the classic '80s Late Night days.  I go down the Youtube rabbit hole for that show every now and then.  Probably the best late night talk show there will ever be, Chris Gethard came close but he's maybe too cult and unknown.  Letterman just wasn't the same after the move to 11:30 on CBS.

Yeah he was great.  I'm not into Meyers or Corden.

Colbert definitely has it in him to be more absurdist and eccentric, there was certainly plenty of that at Comedy Central.  He's much more stridently partisan now, but it's what's made him the most popular late night show, he's been outdoing Fallon in ratings for almost two years.  He's made his bed.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean, he's not literally a random guy.

That would be an interesting talk show if they literally just pulled in random people from the street to be guests.  Like, keep all the glitzy production values but just interview normal people about their lives.

Sounds like a good idea for a new talk show!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Goransson did some pretty decent (low budget) Star Wars pastiche in the first paintball episode of Community, if I recall correctly.

He'll be fine.

BTW, StarWars.com keeps this updated with all of Favreau's Instagram sneak-peaks of The Mandalorian. 

https://www.starwars.com/news/behind-the-scenes-the-mandalorian

Most recently, on Christmas, he shared a picture of IG-88 (or a similar droid) on set.

jon-favreau-mandalorian-ig-08.jpg

This looks identical or close to the droid from the bounty hunter scene on the Star Destroyer in Empire, IG-88 (who has appeared in some comics and the Forces of Destiny cartoon, as well as a bunch of other stuff which is no longer canon).

The assassin droids in Clone Wars were an earlier model.

Why is he sticking up from behind the set like his legs weren't completed? Was it so the guys under the set could keep it propped up and jiggle it around to give the illusion of animation? And the retarded way the rifle is glued to that tiny arm? It looks like total shit. While the Shadows of the Empire game for N64 featured this robot as a formidable and fairly spooky boss villain, it's impossible to imagine the original movie version as anything other than a chintzy slapped-together static prop.

Side note: I never understood why these guys were all holding weapons in this scene or why they were on the bridge of the imperial flagship. I guess that was the only set they had available.