How should I begin to expand my soundtrack collection?

Hey!

I know I'm on JW Fan but TBH my soundtrack collection is very small. I mostly listen to stuff off vevo and youtube. Where would be a good place to start expanding my collection, John Williams and others? You guys are the experts (in my mind)!

Note-

My collection consists of

John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999

The Star Wars Trilogy (this one is quite limited)

Planet Earth 2

La La Land

John Williams In Space or something like that (also limited content)

The Lord of the Rings (Fellowship and Two Towers)

I am planning on getting Star Wars Ultimate Soundtrack Collection Boxset in the near future!!!!

Thanks for your replies!

30 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I am planning on getting Star Wars Ultimate Soundtrack Collection Boxset in the near future!!!!

I'd personally either seek out /wait for a reissue of the original OSTs or wait for a proper expansion that doesn't sound like diarrhoea.

What the hell is that Lord of the Rings? First thing you gotta do to expand is get Return of the King this instant!

Yes!

My advice is: start with the most recent expanded JW scores.

It's like Pokemons, get them all! :yes:

p_LLLCD1433.jpg p_LLLCD1420.jpg p_vcl03171178.jpg p_lllcd1409.jpg p_lllcd1374.jpg p_7145.jpg etc... etc... etc...

About Star Wars, well it's maybe not a great period to buy a set... because we are still waiting for THE set(s)... WE BELIEVE :worship:

But...but...but... An object that will never be replaced is the 1993 Anthology Boxset, try to find that on the used market....

p_07822110122.jpg

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

What the hell is that Lord of the Rings? First thing you gotta do to expand is get Return of the King this instant!

I could have told you that Holko!

ET is a good bet, as well as Jurassic Park. Which one is the best of the JP movies? I don't listen to them often! I haven't ever gone through the full CE3K.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

p_7145.jpg 

About Star Wars, well it's maybe not a great period to buy a set... because we are still waiting for THE set(s)... WE BELIEVE :worship:

But...but...but... An object that will never be replaced is the 1993 Anthology Boxset, try to find that on the used market....

p_07822110122.jpg

Jaws, almost forgot!!! Star Wars Anthology looks good, but I'm pretty set on this other boxset. A lot of content. I am waiting though :worship: I totally understand!

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Hey!

I know I'm on JW Fan but TBH my soundtrack collection is very small. I mostly listen to stuff off vevo and youtube. Where would be a good place to start expanding my collection, John Williams and others? You guys are the experts (in my mind)!

In order to respond to that, I would need to know a little bit about your taste. I know you like Williams, but what type of film music do you like? Primarily symphonic? 

I always find it fascinating, when this type of topic appears, people just rattle off some of their own personal favourites without taking the person's preferences into consideration.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

In order to check out soundtracks before buying on CD, I suggest you get a Spotify user account (they have a free version). Spotify has a lot of JW's OSTs.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Which one is the best of the JP movies?

Jurassic Park is the best Jurassic Park movie, and it has the best Jurassic Park score. :)

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not a completist. I don't but soundtracks in order to look at them collecting dust on my shelf, but to listen to them. Btw, I now have a mint copy of Dracula. :P

Collecting... DUST???

:o

@Jerry  my last post was not as flippant as has been interpreted.

The fact is, soundtrack buying, like all music buying, is a crap-shoot.

You can listen on Spotify, or YouTube, or whatever, but until you really delve into the music, you can't make any kind of judgement. That requires attendance, and patience.

I have scores that I've owned for forty-plus years, and I am still discovering new aspects of them.

Conversely, I own many scores that I hardly play, and am not particularly enamored with...but I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. That's what separates buyers from collectors...

My advice? Listen to as much music as possible (and I mean truly listen, and not just hear!) and you will start forming opinions, and learn to separate your personal wheat from the chaff.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:37 PM, Thor said:

In order to respond to that, I would need to know a little bit about your taste. I know you like Williams, but what type of film music do you like? Primarily symphonic? 

I always find it fascinating, when this type of topic appears, people just rattle off some of their own personal favourites without taking the person's preferences into consideration.

Well I like some action, good themes, nothing too slow and drowsy but love themes are okay. Symphonic style though, yes.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, kaseykockroach said:

I don't really seek to have a 'collection'. If I like a score enough, I'll buy it. Even with my favorite composers, I don't seek to collect every single score they ever did. 

Yeah, I'm not looking for every score, I just want some scores so I'm putting it out there for some suggestions.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're a wise guy, Jerry.

Gotta love a bargain!

Honestly, this is honest. In fact, here in Canada we have these neat good will/donation stores called Value Village. I live two minutes walk from one and I go there every month. I have a classical music collection (which I am quite happy to boast about) of 50+ CDs that I got for no more than 60 dollars collectively. It's a true gold mine. Before I do any online shopping or store hunting though, I'll swing by there over the next week and give it a shot. Six shelves of CDs and I find something every time. That's how Jerry does it!

That's a lot of great bargains! In the second hand shops where I live there's usually a lousy selection of CDs. Do you have any favorite conductors or orchestras for classical music? George Szell's a favorite of mine.

Berlin Philharmonic and London Symphony

Sir Simon Rattle and Mariss Jansons

I say Jansons because I have Scheherazade conducted by him (2.50 Canadian dollars BTW :P) and I love it. Rattle is just funny too!!!

Those are of course all very good! Jansons conducted the Oslo Philharmonic for about 20 years and elevated it to its high standards. You can find many fine recordings with them on EMI (now bought by Warner) and Chandos (especially their Tchaikovsky symphony cycle).

Two random recommendations of two underrated scores: Get Jerry Goldsmith's Night Crossing by Intrada and Basil Poledouris' Conan the Babarian by Prometheus. Don't start with the usual scores, but with equally terrific, unusual scores and you get a totally different view at the composers.

Wow I'm really counting on finding something tomorrow.

What I want

ET

Jaws

Some sort of Star Wars

What I'll get

Strauss:The Waltzes

Mozart:Symphony No.39

The Far Side Gallery 4 (yes they have books)

Win win situation but I'm focusing on soundtracks at this point in my life.

There was a fancy 5 piece Classical Greats set but I had all the content. I ended up buying Space Soundtracks (Star Wars, Star Trek all mixed together) bit of a jip. But then I saw Far Side Gallery 4 so it wasn't bad.There are other places in my area though, so I'll be checking them out in the next few weeks. Then we can see what I got and figure out what might be good to add from there.

Lapti Nek is a essential... if you were born at the begining of 70's.

You know, most part of the 70's can't really been tell, you simply had to live them.

That's stange, but that's like that!

Start with these

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Jurassic Park and The Lost World

The Fellowship of the Ring

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Batman and Batman Returns

Jaws

Edward Scissorhands

The Rocketeer

Starship Troopers

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I limited my suggestions to stuff still in print; some great expanded releases like Independence Day, The Abyss, Predator 2, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, and some others are all out of print

I know, Star Trek TMP, Alien, Poltergeist, and Gremlins almost all made the list but there's just so many great expanded releases out there!

Doing a preview of The Hobbit trilogy tonight.  I think the music will be suitable. As for things on my watchlist-ET, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Return of the king are all there (I have Fellowship and Towers BTW @Jay).