Marc Shaiman

Johnnyecks

(Cross posted...sorry)

Being involved into movie soundtracks and having John Williams be my favorite (and genre founding) composer, sometimes some other composers come into the spotlight every now then. Some stay (Goldsmith, Horner, Zimmer), and some go (Danna, Davis, Sarde), but others leave a very lasting impression.

As mentioned in several posts now, I have been recently ripping and listening to all my cds (as some now, that is a huge task) and have been working on my Shaiman scores and I must post this now.

Marc Shaiman is such a great composer. He adds a very needed flair of fun, genius, and humor into all of his scores. Listening tonight to Mother, Simon Birch, Sister Act, Addams Family, etc, made me again appreciate his music.

Not only is he a great composer, but he is a very nice person. I posted something on FSM many years ago mentioning how much I enjoyed his music, and he personally replied to me! Again, I have to mention that it is a travesty if no one owns his cds in their collection. NO score collector should be absent of his scores. Problem is, I cannot recommend any other than ALL OF THEM! They all have their own uniqueness. He writes some great fun music, but also some very enjoyably sad music as well.

Just a vent. Great music. It is a shame we don't have more of it.

You, anyone, should get: Addams Family, Misery, Simon Birch (promo or otherwise), City Slickers (main theme and stampede track worth it alone).............

First Wives Club is one of the best comedy scores written.

And yes, his work on "South Park," both the movie and in some of the early shows, have been invaluable. But it's mostly been Trey Parker that has been responsible for the music.

• 2 months later...

Hey everybody!

Since I heard "Simon Birch" and "Patch Adams" I'm a huge Marc Shaiman Fan. He can compose awesome sad music! He's just great.

But what are you thinking about this man, please tell me and lets discuss

Shaiman_Marc.gif

I'm not really a huge fan of him because, quite honestly, I don't think he's ever written any "great" music (and by great I mean any memorable music), but I liked his work on Misery and also his most recent score for Crash. Quite low-key, but definitely effective in a subtle way. I can't think of any other scores by him right now.

Wasn't that Isham?

Isham did indeed do Crash (Shaiman did do Misery).

I don't dislike him, he's certainly written some endearing comedy scores, I like his American President theme, his City Slickers and Addams Family scores. And he did a brilliant job with the songs and score on the Southpark film. But I don't concider him a serious film composer.

Wasn't that Isham?

Isham did indeed do Crash (Shaiman did do Misery).

I don't dislike him, he's certainly written some endearing comedy scores, I like his American President theme, his City Slickers and Addams Family scores. And he did a brilliant job with the songs and score on the Southpark film. But I don't concider him a serious film composer.

Oh yeah, sorry. Marc Shaiman -- Mark Isham.

This is actually the first time I realize that these are two different composers. :rolleyes:

This is actually the first time I realize that these are two different composers. :P

For future reference, there was a clue in the names. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you know, I never paid much attention to these composers, and they have such similar sounding names. But you're right; I overlooked that cue. Shame on me!

:P

I've heard parts of City Slickers II: The Legend Of Curly's Gold and remember thinking it was okay, but I haven't been too impressed or interested in most of the stuff I know from him.

Isham, however, it quite good. Check out his recent The Black Dahlia album.

Tim

Marc Shaiman is one of my favorite composers, has been for quite sometime. Over the years, I have been able to track down all his cd releases.

His music seems to always grab me. His sad scores are incredible: Simon Birch, which has some greater stuf on the longer promo cd, Heart and Souls has some really nice moments in it, and then there is always The American President which I still feel is a tragedy that it did not win an Oscar.

But his best moments, in my opinon, is in his comedic scores and his big orchestra/broadway arrangements. Listen to the South Park cd, and really listen to the music itself. Great arrangements (Mountain Town, and Uncle Fu**er certainly comes to mind), but then is always the satisifying opening to City Slickers. The end song to First Wives Club comes to mind as well. "You Don't Own Me" is a great song in and of itself, but Shaimans arrangement of it utilizing the orchestra to it's maximum potential, makes the song so much better!

I fully recommend Hairspray as well. Great great fun. Not only is the music awesome, but the show it fantastic. I plan on getting the book about the show that he and Whitman wrote, just haven't gotten around to it. And I am anxiously awaiting the movie version, even though I'm not too terribly pleased with Travolta taking the Fierstein role.

Not only is his music great, but he is also a very friendly person. I have had the pleasure of talking to him on several occasions, and he always comes across as a very warm and generous man with a hilarious sense of humor.

Just my few cents.

BTW: Welcome to the board Siddl.

NP: South Park

I'm not sure what is meant by "not a serious compoesr". True, Shaiman's most successful work has been in the comedy genre -- it's a good fit for him -- but he's also won acclaim with his dramatic scores. In terms of compositional chops, he's not consistently in the same league as Williams or a dozen others I could mention ... but his music is well-crafted, entertaining, and sporadically brilliant. It should also be noted that he's one hell of an arranger, with an outstanding broadway sensibility. Looking at his professional record, I'd certainly call his career a success. I'm thrilled to have a stack of his CDs in my collection.

He's a nice guy, too.

I always love it when he makes a cameo appearance in South Park episodes. His character always has that same wide smile.

Yes, his Cameos are so brilliant. Just look at the Musical "Down" with Ewan McGregor at youtube...

Here's one image.

1785a.gif

Usually he's sitting at a piano with a big smiling grin on his face. He's in the South Park movie, one of the Christmas episodes with the duet between Santa and Jesus and I think a couple of other episodes.

I love "The First Wives Club." "The American President" is also very good, but I don't reach for that CD much.

He's been busy lately on Broadway. I think he's counting his "Hairspray" money. There'll be more when the movie comes out.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Does anyone still have the video for this?

"They Just Want the Beat"
Music and lyric by Marc Shaiman
(sung to the tune of "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray)

You can't write a melody, 'cause today they just want groove.
If today a guy wrote "Laura," all the suits would disapprove.
And if Max Steiner wrote them "Tara's Theme,"
All the good notes they'd remove!

'Cause the temp scores just go round and round,
All they want is a synth and a ghosty sound.
If you write "Lara's Theme" then you won't stay 'round today,
'Cause they just want the beat!

Everytime I hear drums and drone,
It seems Hans Zimmer's given birth to yet another clone.
When you get hired for a score, it seems you're not alone today.

'Cause they just want the...
Motion of the ocean but without a theme.
And yet it seems to get a score like that, you need a team!
If Hank Mancini were around,
I think he'd cry and scream "Oy vey!"

Pretty soon they won't care if you died,
'Cause in the future I bet every score is CGI'd,
'Cause every film is just a comic or an Xbox ride today.

'Cause you can't stop the...
Prequels and the sequels that just leave me bored.
Or should I pluck a few Gustavo licks to win an award?
Bring me a bottle and a joint; I'll be at Betty Ford! Olé!

• 3 years later...

My favourites are MISERY, CITY SLICKERS, THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, THE ADDAMS FAMILY and -- just recently -- LBJ. With the latter, which sounds like a sequel album to THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, he made a surprising "comeback" with a very retro, 90s orchestral score. Really good.

I wish he did more "serious" films, and not as many comedies. But at this point, we should be thankful that he's getting assignments at all.

• 2 years later...

I would suggest this top 10 to celebrate our beloved openly gay composer:

• American President
  • City Slickers
  • Mary Poppins Return
  • The first wives club
  • Patch Addams
  • Addams Family Values
  • Addams Family
  • Heart and soul
  • A few good men
  • Southpark: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

Not sure why this got bumped, but I'm here for it.  In addition the notables above (the knockouts are American President, Addams Family, City Slickers), he's largely known for composing on Broadway these days.  Hairspray, the songs from the Broadway TV show Smash, and the stage adaptation of Catch Me If You Can are tops.

• 1 year later...

Operator? Operator?

Is it possible to merge the posts of these two threads and then rename it to : "The Official Marc Shaiman Thread".

12346-marc-shaiman

11936-marc-shaiman

Thanks!