THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

DVD special feature audio tends to be 24bit / 48khz / 192kbps  DD.

Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, and mp3 are all completely different compression techniques so 96kbps of each format will all sound different than each other

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Precisely. And as we all know, Star Wars sells. And even a small label like LLL would tell you that Williams sells. Just put it in a nice box and market it properly.

Karol

good lord weve been saying this since 1999 when TPM came out and nothing has happened ywet

I don't really get how this Movies Anywhere thing works but isn't it possible that a different digital distributor might also have the score only track at some point, maybe in higher quality?

I'd be curious to know the audio bitrate of the other special features listed on the MA website -- might give an indication of whether this is just how they encode all their audio or if this is unique to the score track. If the latter, it's possible this was a condition of releasing the iso (as earlier speculated).

Just now, King Mark said:

good lord weve been saying this since 1999 when TPM came out

Yes, but Lucasfilm wasn't interested in expanding film music whereas Disney is. Remember they do their Legacy series and Intrada was also did quite a few.

Karol

You'd think Disney Records would be chomping at the bit to release the scores properly. This series of scores would have to be one of their marquee properties, no?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

DVD special feature audio tends to be 24bit / 48khz / 192kbps  DD.

Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, and mp3 are all completely different compression techniques so 96kbps of each format will all sound different than each other

I must have been remembering the bitrate of the TFA digital extras

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You'd think Disney Records would be chomping at the bit to release the scores properly. This series of scores would have to be one of their marquee properties, no?

I bet they would rather release it as a trilogy.

Karol

6 minutes ago, Amer said:

Get ready for an Ultimate Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2CD set from Sony Classical very soon😂

nah, they'll release a box set with the 1997 OT, and the OSTs of the Prequels and sequels

why would anything be different

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't really get how this Movies Anywhere thing works but isn't it possible that a different digital distributor might also have the score only track at some point, maybe in higher quality?

Yeah, and is it possible to stream Movies Anywhere to different devices? Maybe there's a chance they serve up a video stream with different specs depending how/where you're watching?

1 minute ago, Smeltington said:

Yeah, and is it possible to stream Movies Anywhere to different devices? Maybe there's a chance they serve up a video stream with different specs depending how/where you're watching?

That was my thinking. It's pretty normal for a lot of these streaming sites to offer different quality streams in their server, depending on internet speed/your package, etc.

But from all accounts it's just an audio file you download or something?

I think that's the case actually.

It's possible the 96khz AAC version is just what you get when you play it on a computer. On another device like a Roku box it might play it in standard Dolby Digital, maybe even in 5.1.

I'm thinking of Amazon Prime, where if I rent a movie in HD, I can't actually watch it in HD on my computer. Just my Roku. What kind of sense this makes, is beyond me (some legal bullshit, I'm sure).

Right, exactly.

Since if you play the movie on a computer you only get SD video, it stands to reason that the audio might also get an upgrade on an HD device, too!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right, exactly.

Since if you play the movie on a computer you only get SD video, it stands to reason that the audio might also get an upgrade on an HD device, too!

I don't have this service (and I don't live in America) but if it's anything like other on-demand services available here then you get different audio streams depending on your playout device. So there's hope that this is just a heavily compressed PC stream and other services might have better quality audio down the line.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather hear the high quality sessions for the first time on a properly assembled complete album anyway.

Karol

"Properly assembled"... yup! I'd rather wait.

Here's the warning I received from Amazon when I purchased TLJ...

image.png

My computer is playing the video in SD, so it's clearly not HDCP-compliant, and the audio is stereo/96kbps AAC.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Ah hah! Things might not be so grim after all...

Wonder what happens if the app is connected to a PS4 with 7.1 receiver or something?

My Roku is outputting 1080 but I can't gauge the audio since I simply have it connected directly to my TV, sans receiver or home theater set-up.

5 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Here's the warning I received from Amazon when I purchased TLJ...

image.png

My computer is playing the video in SD, so it's clearly not HDCP-compliant, and the audio is stereo/96kbps AAC.

I detest HDCP.

I am 99.99999999% sure the 96kbps AAC version ONLY exists as what they give to people on non-HDCP compliant devices who also get the SD version of the film itself.

Anyone playing this on a normal HDCP-compliant device like an Amazon Fire box/stick, Roku box/stick, Apple TV, smart TV, PS4, XBoxOne, etc etc etc are likely getting this feature in the same normal quality as any other movie they'd stream on that platform.

And yea, I have an Onkyo receiver and it can actually display on my TV the bitrate and format of any audio it is playing

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Out of curiosity... I only know one isolated score, Sense and Sensibility, and that's full of totally abnormal volume fluctuations as they appear in the dialogue-version of the film, and they make for bad listening. Is that normal for isolated scores? Or do we also have tracks that sound okay?

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

This is the most important thing Star Wars score related that has happened in JWFan history. We were dreaming this of the Prequels and TFA  and pretty much any JW score 

The "Superman: The Movie" bluray has the isolated score in Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1. It sounds good.

57 minutes ago, Amer said:

Get ready for an Ultimate Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2CD set from Sony Classical very soon😂

And the requisite whinging because of the edits, tracked music, etc.

;)

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

MoviesAnywhere is a nice aggregate - all of the big "digital copy" retailers, including Disney, iTunes, Amazon, Ultraviolet, let you link your accounts there.  Then, not only are all of your digital copies available on that page, but the sites communicate with one another.  So everything you've bought on Amazon is also available on Ultraviolet, iTunes, etc, and everything you've bought on iTunes is available to stream on Amazon, etc.  It's really nice, since a lot of streaming devices don't have iTunes/Apple apps, that everything can be available everywhere.

I still haven't bought Rogue One ("new release" prices are nuts, and especially Disney new release prices), but this is enough to make me spring the money for the Blu+Digital early, most likely.

UltraViolet isn't a retailer. It's a competitor for MoviesAnywhere. MoviesAnywhere lets you watch Disney, Fox, Sony, Universal and Warner Bros titles on Amazon, iTunes, Google, Vudu and FandangoNOW. UltraViolet has older titles for most of the major studios except Disney, but also for studios that aren't partnered with MoviesAnywhere, namely Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM. At this point, the only UltraViolet retailers are Vudu and FandangoNOW.

58 minutes ago, rough cut said:

The "Superman: The Movie" bluray has the isolated score in Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1. It sounds good.

I still love that isolated score. And the ones included on the Alien films are amazing!

Well, true.  Ultraviolet movies are viewed through Vudu and Fandango, and Vudu and Fandango both aggregate through MoviesAnywhere.

EDIT - It looks like the Hunger Games movies didn't populate and they're Lion's Gate.  Every other movie from the 100 on my Vudu account popped over.

If you are ripping audio from a computer, I would recommend using Audacity. It can record straight from your computer's audio output onto a stereo track that can be saved as an audio file. I would advise saving the files as AIFF files to ensure that there is not double compression loss.

I also believe there is a way to get a higher quality version using a HDCP Certified thing..cause honestly, I don't think it's even possible to sell a movie with a crappy audio like this.

It gives five options on where to purchase it. Do you guys know if there are bitrate differences between any of these options?

Available On.PNG

Would be interesting to know where @Manakin Skywalker bought it, so we know what to not pick

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

My receiver tells you the bitrate, encoding, etc. of the audio stream. I can't test it though, not in the US.

I believe the US restriction is there because the movie still hasn't come out in other countries yet.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Let me get this straight. You can legally buy the complete score for TLJ some place?:lsabre:

What more could you want that isn't already released?

Audio that doesn’t sound like it was recorded through a tape recorder held up to a radio.