THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

If it were actually the frame rate and pitch, wouldn't it be off by many minutes, rather than just a few seconds?

Are you thinking of 48 khz vs 44.1 khz? Then yes, it'd be several minutes. But for 24 vs 23.976, 0.1% of TLJ's 152 minute run time is 9.12 seconds. Okay, so several seconds. :D

It's pretty simple to get around the view image thing going missing; right-click on the image and press ... view image.

Drag and drop images into the search bar on the images page.

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Shit... now I just found out that Google removed the "view image" and "search by image" buttons on Google Images. It really is the beginning of the end!

giphy.gif

An absolutely maddening decision by Google. WTF are they doing?

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Shit... now I just found out that Google removed the "view image" and "search by image" buttons on Google Images. It really is the beginning of the end!

giphy.gif

Noooooooooooooooo!

I still think when the First Order fires on Luke is one of my favorite moments of scoring in the film. It’s so Shakespearean, suggesting Kylo’s hubris and tragic nature. I don’t get the complaints.

My only complaint is that the original cue was replaced with tracked music from Escape! I love the cue itself, but would much rather hear Williams' original intention. Also think the film could live without the cue, but I'd much rather have too much music than not enough (a complaint I could probably level at TFA, which bafflingly omitted some really great stuff that should've remained).

Does this also mean we can add that motif to the list of recurring ideas in TLJ? Off the top of my head I can't remember where else in the film this motif occurs (other than the Battle of Crait) but it seems to be a recurring idea for the First Order. Starts here:

Depends on whether it represents something specific in the narrative. Sounds to me like general "bad guy" music, more than a deliberate thematic identity.

Williams' scores (and really, every piece of leitmotivic music which is that long) are filled with little generic phrases that happen to recur multiple times, without nessecarily possesing a thematic identity. A good Williams, Star Wars example would be this little descending horn phrase that happens all around the finale at Cloud City. It recurs a good three or four times, but does it represent anything thematically? hell no. Its also true of his other scores (e.g. the use of tritones in Star Wars and Indiana Jones).

Another example from a none-Williams score is the brass gesture that Horner uses in Braveheart (no, not his usual "danger" gesure - he used a different one for that score) before battles - its all over the score, but you'd be hard pressed to call it a leitmotif. Even in the Middle Earth score, there's a little recurring idea in the prologue and in the middle of the Two Towers (when the choir sings "Tercano Nuruva"), but its nevertheless not a leitmotif, because it doesn't represent anything; its just a Shore-ism. And you could find such examples in Wagner, too.

I don't think there are any other real themes in there outside of the main three that we came to identify.

I noticed that motif, too...I wanna say it plays in other places, but all I can think of is in the opening.

33 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I still think when the First Order fires on Luke is one of my favorite moments of scoring in the film. It’s so Shakespearean, suggesting Kylo’s hubris and tragic nature. I don’t get the complaints.

Sorry, but that music there completely throws the realism of the scene out the window. 

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

My only complaint is that the original cue was replaced with tracked music from Escape! I love the cue itself, but would much rather hear Williams' original intention

How do you know he wrote something else for that scene?

A few thoughts on the score and the film: I'm really surprised by how much the extra music fills in the score for me. I'm probably closer to Thor on this kind of thing than not, but a lot of the cues fill in that Star Wars feel that I was missing from the original album. However, it also illuminated more times where I feel Williams has a "Star Wars" button by his desk to generate cute-ass triad fanfares to score heroic or dangerous things.

Watching it a week ago, I was impressed with how elegantly John Williams dances around the on-screen action, not just in the dramatic choices of course (like the bombastic WWII elegy when Paige's bombs hit the Star Destroyer), but also in the orchestration:

I'm thinking of the opening with that one fanfare that everyone loves (can't post times or anything right now, sorry). It repeats but keeps getting other instruments stacked on top of it, layering in octaves. While this is a fun build up on album, I noticed watching the film that it gets pretty dense with the sound effects at that moment, climaxing in a dude getting blown up in his ship. At that precise moment, Williams slaps on some piercing piccolos that come through on the mix, and I think, "Holy crap, that seems like it would be so hard to do!" And he probably whipped that out instantly, thinking, "Alright, got 2 1/2 more hours to go, let's boogie."

I actually thought the tracking was the other way around... although not that part, but the part when they stop firing/Poe lands in the hangar (as that wasn't on the OST version of Escape).

This was my thought watching the film months ago though, will have to investigate again.

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

giphy.gif

They did that do settle a dispute with Getty Images over the fact that they indexed their images, which prevented visitors from having to visit their site to purchase "their" images. Fortunately, there are third-party Chrome extensions that can restore the view image function.

45 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Right click and select "open image in new tab" to download the image.

Not quite. That would only pull up the smaller image size that Google has indexed.

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The "search by images" function is the one I'm most concerned about, as I use it constantly. And there's no way around that that I'm aware of.

Go to images.google.com, there's a photo icon in the search bar, insert the picture URL there. It's fiddly, but the only workaround I know of.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Go to images.google.com, there's a photo icon in the search bar, insert the picture URL there. It's fiddly, but the only workaround I know of.

Ah yes I forgot about that. But it's still quite a hassle when it used to be so simple. Pardon my French, but fuck Getty Images.

I think I prefer the Blu-ray version of the end credits suite with the entirety of Rebellion is Reborn (including Carrie Fisher tribute) leading to The Battle of Crait leading to Rey's theme. It's a much smoother listen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe this is the same version that was playing over the theatrical release of the film?

Karol

Whatever is on the FYC is the theatrical version. We ended up with 3 versions of the credits for TFA (Theatrical, OST and Bluray), only 2 for TLJ (OST and Theatrical/Bluray).

I think someone involved in assembling the OST wanted Holdo's Resolve included on the OST but couldn't make it work as its own track, so they found a way to shoehorn it into the end credits suite (alongside a Yoda's Theme suite which doesn't appear in the film proper). The film's end credits are a little more streamlined because they bounce around to fewer tracks, but ultimately it's just a repeat of Battle of Crait (with a little bit of unreleased/unused music towards the end before Rey's Theme takes over).

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe this is the same version that was playing over the theatrical release of the film

I think it is.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the end-credits suite (which I usually love). Part of the issue is the inorganic way in which Leia's theme on piano is nestled into it. I would have preferred to hear that play out a little longer.

I always use the "Tool" function then select the size to large for searching for images I want to use for artwork via google. I then right click and select "open image in new tab" and it brings up its original size.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Part of the issue is the inorganic way in which Leia's theme on piano is nestled into it. I would have preferred to hear that play out a little longer.

It still sounds like a last minute edit to me. If it is, I hope that the eventual expanded/complete release, whenever it happens, includes the original version of that cue.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, NL197 said:

So as a Canadian I can pirate the shit out of it and not feel guilty ;)

Have you discovered a place to obtain the "not available to Canadians" version? you can PM if it's too hush-hush for prying ears to discover.

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It still sounds like a last minute edit to me. If it is, I hope that the eventual expanded/complete release, whenever it happens, includes the original version of that cue.

While it does sound last minute, Fisher died in late 2016 so there was still plenty of time to redo the end credits music... if Williams had even started on it yet. 

I'm still holding out hope that Williams wrote/recorded something more cohesive and original but it doesn't seem likely at all.

43 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I'm still holding out hope that Williams wrote/recorded something more cohesive and original but it doesn't seem likely at all.

Sadly, I think you're right.

56 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

While it does sound last minute, Fisher died in late 2016 so there was still plenty of time to redo the end credits music... if Williams had even started on it yet. 

They might not have had the end credits put together that early on, though? Or the credits could have changed later in the process.

That's a good question... I have no idea when in the process the end credits are assembled but it seems a one year notice would be enough time to avoid last-minute credit changes.  The film was in the can by August or September.  I imagine all Williams needs to know about the credits is the length and, in this case, when the Fisher credit appears.

On 17 March 2018 at 10:15 PM, Drew said:

Not quite. That would only pull up the smaller image size that Google has indexed.

I usually just right-click and select "view image". That displays the full-sized image without having to visit the referring site.

There's already many fan edits combining iso score with OST and FYC floating around the internet, of course.  You must know about that place that worships that certain JRPG

It's been infected with a coin miner script a while back, blocking JavaScript solved it, but it should be fine now.