THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

Aha!  At the very end, it says:

"Exclusively on Movies Anywhere for a limited time"

So that could mean

1) Movies Anywhere will take it away at some point, and it will never be available anywhere else ever after that

or

2) It will be on a future blu ray, making it no longer exclusive to Movies Anywhere

I really hope it's the second option (if it is a future Collector's Edition rerelease in nice packaging with more bonus features, that's the day I'll buy a bluray player), but I feel it's going to be the first one.

Huh. Distinctly remember watching that video a few days ago, I was even upset they only used stuff that was already on the OST (for the stretches with music only, no speech), so it was before I got the isolated score. But it was uploaded today? Did Youtube copyright strike the owner's own upload of their owned music?

Love the intro video! They took some really nice footage, hopefully we see more of it one day. Does this actually show when you watch the movie with the isolated score on Movies Anywhere?

I want a Last Jedi score-only Blu-ray, with alternate camera angles between the film, and the sessions footage!

I saw that "for a limited time" language in an e-mail I got from Movies Anywhere last week, too.

There are a few movies I own digital copies of that have "locked" special features, and I always wondered why that was.  Maybe this is it.  I'll switch to my phone and post a screenshot of what I mean.

edit: here. This was the digital copy from the blu-ray. Not sure why half of these features are locked.

0DE516B5-B1E3-4912-BB7A-3A869FC4196B.png

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Very likely they do not mean it will be on a Blu-ray

I have the Blu-ray. It is not. Nor on the 4K. Doubtful it will be on the 3D Blu-ray either. I mean they couldn't bother to put the Atmos audio track on the Blu-ray so why would they put this?

Studios are stupid. 2nd Star Wars movie I am not purchasing and I own 5 copies of the OT on VHS.

Yes, but we were thinking about a future bluray rerelease, like they did with TFA - it wasn't only the addition of 3D, it also had a lot more bonus features.

Yea, I obviously wasn't talking about the blu ray coming out next week, we know its not on that, I'm not stupid.

I was talking about a future blu ray, like how TFA got a 2-disc Blu Ray later with more bonus features than the original blu ray had.

They won’t “waste” the score only cut.

The “exclusive for a limited time only” is a marketing term which, most of the time, comes with deals and terms not disclosed in the actual marketing.

Right now, it’s exclusive to MA, but we’ll see a physical release somewhere down the line. Mark my words.

Maybe it becomes “unexclusive” and will show up with all of the digital copies (Amazon, iTunes, Vudu,etc) once that window ends 

or the costs of the score track were negotiated for a limited window and the feature goes away, maybe.  Are these things subject to royalties like albums are?

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

or the costs of the score track were negotiated for a limited window and the feature goes away, maybe.  Are these things subject to royalties like albums are?

Probably not, very different medium to have something released as an isolated "bonus feature" on a streaming website, as opposed to being a soundtrack on physical media or whatever.

Depends how watertight those union contracts are! :P

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Of course they are. The fact this feature is available only in a streaming platform and for a limited time is very likely because of some agreement that had to be made to pay re-use fees to the AFM.

I wish they opted also for a digital release of the complete score...

The score-only version of Star Wars, Episode VIII: The Last Jedi will be included as an additional bonus feature on iTunes. It will be available on March 27th, the same day it comes out on Blu-Ray and DVD. Technically, for those like myself who already purchased it on iTunes, it is already included. In fact, I'm enjoying the experience right now.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

The score-only version of Star Wars, Episode VIII: The Last Jedi will be included as an additional bonus feature on iTunes. It will be available on March 27th, the same day it comes out on Blu-Ray and DVD. Technically, for those like myself who already purchased it on iTunes, it is already included. In fact, I'm enjoying the experience right now.

Would the iTunes store possibly have a better audio bitrate than on Movies Anywhere?

Movies Anywhere is not a download or streaming company like iTunes or Vudu or Google Play or Amazon. It's just a way to connect all those accounts together.

I started to buy The Last Jedi the other day to get the isolated score. I logged in to Movies Anywhere, but then it asked me where I wanted to actually buy the movie. I tabled the purchase for now because I don't own movies at iTunes, Google, or Amazon. My Vudu movies only work on my Firestick by using the Movies Anywhere connectivity. 

So buy from wherever you want, but just go through Movies Anywhere first. 

15 hours ago, rough cut said:

The “exclusive for a limited time only” is a marketing term which, most of the time, comes with deals and terms not disclosed in the actual marketing.

it means "pirate it as fast as you can before we yank it away"

I'm not that knowledgeable about audio birate, but the sound is excellent to my ears, and I'm just listening to it on my headphones.

59 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it means "pirate it as fast as you can before we yank it away"

Hah, yep.

Pretty much everyone involved must know it was going to be ripped within 2 nanoseconds, but the non-downloadable nature must be enough to reassure the right people that at least there won't be perfect digital copies flying around.

Is this the most we've ever heard from a single Star Wars release?  Now we need someone to construct an expertly crafted Definitive Edition that combines the best sources of all the extant material.  :drool:

This is my new preferred way of watching movies!

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Do you have a source for this perhaps? And will it be available worldwide? I've checked the iTunes web page and it does not mention any bonus features: 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/star-wars-the-last-jedi/id1316280891

I noticed that because I have my iTunes account linked with my MA account, iTunes gave me the movie as well (even though I bought it with VUDU). There is no sign of the isolated score at all that I could see.

EDIT: I found out it only gave me the movie itself; the iTunes special features are not included. ALSO I did find the isolated score in their player's menu, so iTunes does have it as well. However I am unable to access the specifications. The movie itself is in considerably better quality though, and stereo AC3 is available... it's possible that the downloadable version is in 5.1, I'll download it and check it out.

Good news! I found out I do have the isolated score and other extras on iTunes. I'm recording it right now and will then compare the quality. The video quality is much better, so I'd assume the audio quality is at least somewhat better as well.

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Good news! I found out I do have the isolated score and other extras on iTunes. I'm recording it right now and will then compare the quality. The video quality is much better, so I'd assume the audio quality is at least somewhat better as well.

So does this mean non-MA users (i.e. the rest of the world) will be able to get this?

Where does one see the included iTunes extras on the page?

Clipboard01.jpg

So as a Canadian (beurk), is my only way of getting an isolated score version of the movie is to ask a friend to send me a MKV?

:sarcasm:

16 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Do you have a link to a source that backs up this claim you're making here?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you have a link to a source that backs up this claim you're making here?

If you'd read my posts above, you'd see that I confirmed what he was saying. The isolated score is available on iTunes right now.

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

The one below seems to have higher fidelity.

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

yes, the below has higher frequency extension and less dynamic compression. Which is which?

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

The one on the bottom looks way less compressed

The one on the bottom is the Movies Anywhere version. The top one is iTunes. So iTunes is worse.

46 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If you'd read my posts above, you'd see that I confirmed what he was saying. The isolated score is available on iTunes right now.

But did you link your iTunes purchase to Movies Anywhere?

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

(deleted)

Here is my spectroanalysis of the main title. I'm rather new to analyzing audio, so which one would be considered "better"?

Untitled-1.jpg

I think the first one is better. Even if the second one might have higher frequencies, it has some kind of annoying noise from 11 to 22 kHz (that we can really hear when there's silence). The first one cuts at 20 kHz, which isn't bad at all.

Or maybe the noise is part of the original file and was cut when it got encoded for iTunes... in this case the MA one would be the best. The only way to really know is by listening to them :) 

TBH, when it comes to these minor, minor differences - I doubt even 0,01 % of the human population could tell the difference. No matter the speakers/headphones, or even in an A/B test.

My general assessment is that they’re both lossless and - more or less - equally good.

That being said, I too - like any other fool - would and will want the highest possible quality, even if the difference isn’t discernible for the human ear. :P

What fools are we...

It's true that the iTunes version looks less "detailed" than the MA one when you zoom in, there are like big squares/pixels in the frequency spectrum

How can anyone own this yet? The iTunes page I posted a screenshot of clearly states "pre-order". Release date is indicated as 27 March.

And I still don't see where the bonus features are listed on that page.

Clipboard01.jpg

To anyone who has heard the entire isolated soundtrack, can you tell me which cues are new favorites? I'm talking about the cues that weren't previously released on the combined original/FYC releases. For example, I just heard on YT a cue called The Duel Begins. I love it! Any other goodies?

There's actually a ton of goodies!  My appreciation for this score has grown significantly after hearing this isolated release.  My favorite cues include Rose/Finn/DJ aboard the Supremacy up until their capture, Finn/Rose marched to their execution, the First Order blowing up the escaping Resistance cruisers and Rose/Finn/BB-8 escaping from the Supremacy. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

That's why I assumed Manakin just used Movies Anywhere to buy it and chose iTunes as the location

I bought it with VUDU, and because my MA account was linked to both my VUDU and iTunes account, it was added to iTunes. I guess we still have yet to see if you can get the isolated score on iTunes without a Movies Anywhere account. Although MA is free, so that would be kind of redundant.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

And I still don't see where the bonus features are listed on that page.

You need to buy it in order to see what the bonus features are, which is pretty stupid.