THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

Having listened to the whole score a few times now, I really appreciate and enjoy the workout and new variations TFA themes get. In particular there is some nice statements of Kylo Ren's theme with the Snoke guttural chorus behind it during the Snoke Revisited stuff. Then there are a number of fantastic renditions of Rey's Theme during Lesson One, Rey's Journey, and the omitted Lesson Three to name a few. Of course, March of the Resistance has a number of interesting new renditions with some nice jaunty interpretations. 

But overall the score still doesn't top TFA, with the lack of top-tier new musical material being the main issue. It's especially disappointing that there is no standout action cue in the entire score (the Falthiers is fun but not much more). TFA produced I Can Fly Anything, Follow Me and The Falcon, and Scherzo for X-Wings. 

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

So as a Canadian (beurk), is my only way of getting an isolated score version of the movie is to ask a friend to send me a MKV?

:sarcasm:

the music file can't be ripped as such,  the only option is a recording in real time of the score made by a soundcard on a computer

If your against illegal downloading your out of luck

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I bought it with VUDU, and because my MA account was linked to both my VUDU and iTunes account, it was added to iTunes. I guess we still have yet to see if you can get the isolated score on iTunes without a Movies Anywhere account. Although MA is free, so that would be kind of redundant.

Not if we outside the US can get it on iTunes.

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

How can anyone own this yet? The iTunes page I posted a screenshot of clearly states "pre-order". Release date is indicated as 27 March.

And I still don't see where the bonus features are listed on that page.

Clipboard01.jpg

The digital release date in the United States was March 13th, March 27th for the Blu-ray. Unfortunately, the release dates aren't the same worldwide.

15 hours ago, rolltide1017 said:

According to the dev playback hub on my Apple TV, the iTunes version of the score-only track has an average bit rate around 375 kbps. My AVR is reporting a 5.1 input signal and it sounds like it is in true 5.1 as well. This is a big improvement over the MoviesAnywhere Apple TV app, which was only 2.0 at 97 kbps. 

I don’t think the MA Apple TV app even supports 5.1 audio yet as I’ve tried a number of movies in it and they all playback in 2.0. 

If it really is 375 kbps, that is a humongous improvement over the terribly low quality rips that have been floating around. Hopefully someone can rip it soon...

This is the problem today. Who knows what you’re getting. Even HDtracks has sold lesser quality than stated. And that is  a “guaranteed” supplier - and still you don’t get what you pay for.

On 22 March 2018 at 6:57 AM, kelliwisethebrave said:

The digital release date in the United States was March 13th, March 27th for the Blu-ray. Unfortunately, the release dates aren't the same worldwide.

Yes, but the screenshot I posted was from the US iTunes page...

On the level of the actual material - I suppose you could make the argument for The Force Awakens material being superior. But because The Last Jedi has a much fuller sound, which is very important indeed to a Star Wars score, especially in the action material, I have to favor The Last Jedi.

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

On the level of the actual material - I suppose you could make the argument for The Force Awakens material being superior. But because The Last Jedi has a much fuller sound, which is very important indeed to a Star Wars score, especially in the action material, I have to favor The Last Jedi.

That's a rather shallow and confusing argument.

"Yes, TFA's action material is much more complex and thematically dense than the relatively thin material in TLJ, but because the latter is louder and more bombastic, TLJ is automatically the better score."

Exactly!

But its true nonetheless.

I like not just the action material but also The Last Jedi, as a whole, better, for just that reason, and that reason alone. Especially as far as the film-mix goes!

So is there somewhere an overview of how the "complete" music compares to the OST?

And is there already discussion of the new thematic elements that have been discovered from all the new music?

3 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

And is there already discussion of the new thematic elements that have been discovered from all the new music?

I don’t believe you’d find anything in the way of new themes. Williams typically arranges the OST to feature all the leitmotives in the work.

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

there's 60+ minutes of new music

Exactly. But I have yet to find any actual music discussion on this forum about all the new music that is there. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I don’t believe you’d find anything in the way of new themes. Williams typically arranges the OST to feature all the leitmotives in the work.

I meant "new uses of existing themes". Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Depends on the scene in TFA.  The Rathars isn't the most exciting music.  Then again, that whole segment is just silly.  Follow Me/The Falcon and I Can Fly Anything are excellent, though.

It's kind of tough to compare because there's a lot more action music in TLJ (with a good amount cut out from TFA as well as sections with a lot of editing/tracking). In a way it's sort of emblematic of the scores as a whole.

In general, TFA is a lot more simplistic and straightforward, which allows fun melodies to take charge (like in Follow Me, The Resistance, I Can Fly Anything, Scherzo for X-Wings), so in some ways I guess you can say the highlights are more memorable and fun. But then in probably every other way TLJ is better. Which again, is like the scores themselves - TFA is straightforward with exciting new melodies and some great highlights, while TLJ is much more complex and dense but also more consistent.

yeah, if JJ or Lucas cared as much they  would have done the same

Now I wish Johnson returned to direct episode 9

wait its the itunes version a streamed version of we can rip the file directly this time?

well yeah that can be assumed

itunes is not Apple TV so it has to be downloadable

I don;t have an itunes account, but I bet everyone else here has. Can someone check?

From iTunes:

extra.png

The way that is worded in the last sentence makes it sound like something that would stream, not download.

Edit:Further research confirms that iTunes Extras cannot be downloaded: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203020

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

I think the previous discussion, which I admittedly contributed to, that Johnson didn’t care about the score is defunct. He clearly cares a great deal that he is putting so much energy into this special feature. 

I think he cared a lot about the score. His lack of interest in the spotting is more telling of his inexperience than disinterest. He trusted JW and completely gave it to him, but however, we understand that the collaborative process usually results in a better score (Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars were ultimately Lucas' requests for what he wanted JW to write). Johnson also said that he attended every recording session.

And he said there were times John told him the temp wasn't right for the scene and he went down a different path. TLJ was perfectly collaborative.

The Spark sounds nothing like any existing track in the series, so that was clearly JW going his own way.

If I knew that the iTunes version actually sounded better than the rips we have and that there isn't any kind of DRM to prevent me from just ripping the audio straight to audacity, which is the only way I know how to rip audio, personally, I'd buy it right now and get to work.  A hard choice, since I also want to get the blu-ray but don't want to sink $20 on something that might be better.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I think he cared a lot about the score. His lack of interest in the spotting is more telling of his inexperience than disinterest. He trusted JW and completely gave it to him, but however, we understand that the collaborative process usually results in a better score (Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars were ultimately Lucas' requests for what he wanted JW to write). Johnson also said that he attended every recording session.

That's one of the things that makes me hopeful for IX.  It seems pretty clear that J.J Abrams requested specific themes to be written (March of the Resistance, Scherzo for X-Wing)

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

And he said there were times John told him the temp wasn't right for the scene and he went down a different path. TLJ was perfectly collaborative.

The Spark sounds nothing like any existing track in the series, so that was clearly JW going his own way.

The big dramatic moments with new original are the best parts of the entire score. Big, blaring moments like The Spark, Holdo's Sacrifice, Lesson One, and The Last Jedi give me a sense of JW really letting lose and the sound mix letting the music lead the drama. 

3 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

If I knew that the iTunes version actually sounded better than the rips we have and that there isn't any kind of DRM to prevent me from just ripping the audio straight to audacity, which is the only way I know how to rip audio, personally, I'd buy it right now and get to work.  A hard choice, since I also want to get the blu-ray but don't want to sink $20 on something that might be better.

There's no DRMs at all. It's a bit more compressed than the MA version, so I didn't even bother recording it. I'd just stick with the MA version until we get a superior version.

My guess would be that when it’s (if?) it’s released on BD it will be a higher quality.

Seems from Rian’s tweet though that it’s a stream feature that still goes through MA. In that case there’s no upgrade in quality.

12 hours ago, Holko said:

The score-only mix of TLJ is now available directly in the extras of the iTunes version.

Okay, so does this mean the rest of the world will have access to the iso via iTunes???

On 3/22/2018 at 4:46 AM, rolltide1017 said:

According to the dev playback hub on my Apple TV, the iTunes version of the score-only track has an average bit rate around 375 kbps. My AVR is reporting a 5.1 input signal and it sounds like it is in true 5.1 as well. This is a big improvement over the MoviesAnywhere Apple TV app, which was only 2.0 at 97 kbps. 

I'm not convinced about these numbers.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Gosh, how cool is the groovy underscore in the Finn & Rose Sneaking Around the Supremacy track? Especially the fun little moment of orchestration here:

Almost sounds like something out of The Lost World.

That track really helps pad out the score, and makes it feel like a Star Wars score. But screw whatever the hell moment you're talking about, what about when a little bit later in the track he gets Return of the Jedi brooding on us with those strings?

5 hours ago, hornist said:

Yes, my question exactly. This is probably JW's best work and I need it all.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. The film is releasing on iTunes in my territory on 9 April.

Would the SD version also have the special features? I've never purchased a movie on iTunes before, I'm more of a physical media guy when it comes to movies. I would rather buy the cheaper version as I only want it for the iso score, if I want to watch the movie itself I'll get the BD. In any case, my PC has Vista on so iTunes will not allow me to purchase the HD version.