THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

a Disney suit won't allow it if it means the music getting out there in any format that enables physical ownership.

But why? Will it hurt the sales of a complete score release on CD which is not in the works and probably won't happen until 20 years later?

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

I completely forgot about that 'joke'

I blocked it out mentally. Now it's back.

Mel Brooks should approach Rian Johnson to write and direct Spaceballs 3: The Search for Spaceballs 2.

:D

I would love to hear Williams' original intentions for the opening.  I love the music, of course, but the film edit (particularly in the middle section) is a mess of edits and tracked music.  I'm wondering if Williams recorded segments and the editors simply placed the music where they saw fit?  Or maybe the opening was heavily edited after Williams recorded it but they decided not to redo the music.

Some parts were rewritten and rerecorded - I'm now 100% sure the March of the Resistance leading into the ending of Poe's Theme that's only found on the OST is an earlier version of the full Poe's Theme found on the FYC and in the movie.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

You wonder why they did this... just for marketing purposes to get more people to buy the digital download?

I can imagine a meeting where Johnson wants to isolate the music, but a Disney suit won't allow it if it means the music getting out there in any format that enables physical ownership.

this is what 's been terrifying me since those streaming services started.. I was afraid you could not own your music any more , and could only play it on specific devices, and whoever offers it could yank it at any time.So basically if you do it legally you have to live in fear they will remove this score at some point and you won't be able to listen to it ever again. No more "collecting" music and listen to it whenever you want, only what your streaming service makes available at one point in time with a membership needed to a specific service and device

I fully expect makers of digital devices to STOP supporting "owned" file formats (MP3,AAC)within the next 10 years, meaning you won't even be able to play MP3's anymore unless your sitting on your PC at home and have some legacy and unsupported (or pirated) software running. .And maybe they will even block that in Windows 12 or something. Apple will probably stop selling files you can actually download, etc...

I know I sounded paranoid when I said that 5 years ago when this started but it's EXACTLY what's happening. it's still not too bad but in a few years listening to our score collection might be a pain in the ass. Or maybe we'll revert to a world where you have to own a c.d. player again bought at specialized audio shops

The fact they are slowly  stopping to sell iPODS is proof this is happening

Would you feel the same way if this special feature were a mini-documentary, and not the isolated score?  I ask, because retailer-exclusive special features have been around for about as long as special features themselves have been around.  The only difference in this case is that the retailer is digital.

In fact, here is a loooooooong list of exclusive features on Movies Anywhere, nee Disney Movies Anywhere.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Lists_of_Disney_Movies_Anywhere_exclusives

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

Some parts were rewritten and rerecorded - I'm now 100% sure the March of the Resistance leading into the ending of Poe's Theme that's only found on the OST is an earlier version of the full Poe's Theme found on the FYC and in the movie.

The opening scene was originally different:

So much truth, @King Mark. If you had nothing available to you but streaming, you'd be at the mercy of corporate/legal bullshit for all time. I just went to Spotify to listen to Shape of Water OST again, and it's gone. And of course the FYC for that score will probably never be on Spotify in any case, so there would always be more music that was ordained for you not to hear. Imagine if all we had for Williams was what's on Spotify... and it could still be removed at any time.

Or if Spotify itself went bankrupt or was bought by a mother corporation with a different plan, and half the material on it would be removed... Things like this are my biggest fears with Steam.

I think there'll always be ways to listen to your own music files, but whether there are new legal releases that you can actually save to your own file storage is another matter. We might have to record all future releases via Audacity just like this isolated score. :o

53 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

This is exactly why I refuse to buy my music digtally. I once considered doing it on amazon.co.uk. They immediately told me they would be keeping an eye on what I bought so that they could suggest 'songs' I might be interested in as well, and all this would be done by adding special data to the actual files I would buy. No, thank you. I want full control over my own files and if you can't live with that, I'm not feeling sorry about pirating anything.

Just buy digital music on iTunes. They won't go through your library.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Just buy digital music on iTunes. They won't go through your library.

Yeah, whenever Apple decides to upgrade from 256 kbps in 50 years.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I know I sounded paranoid when I said that 5 years ago when this started but it's EXACTLY what's happening. it's still not too bad but in a few years listening to our score collection might be a pain in the ass. Or maybe we'll revert to a world where you have to own a c.d. player again bought at specialized audio shops

The fact they are slowly  stopping to sell iPODS is proof this is happening

Ipods are being phased out because all smartphones play music now. No one needs a separate device.

I think the first bit I quoted is a bit of an overreaction. This is essentially a DVD special feature. The OST is widely available and no one can take away your copy of that.

I read a rumor that apple will get rid of it's download section altogether further adding to my fears we wont control our music anymore. Is that possibly true

I think that will happen eventually, even if it's still years out. Most younger/more casual music listeners are content with Spotify and Youtube, and aren't very interested in purchasing music for download, let alone bothering with any kind of physical media. "Owning" music will still be popular with older generations, so it might not die out for a long time, but it's not the way of the future. Maybe there will still be niche services for audiophiles and so on that do allow downloads... we'll see!

I dread the day when that happens. Firstly, as of now, I'm really not interested in getting a mobile data plan on top of the regular internet (when I will have to pay for it when I move out), so I'm stuck with files. Secondly, one of my greatest joys is combining cues, rearranging the order, stuff like that. If I don't have physical files, I'll just be the puppet of the potential idiots assembling the digital release, trying to tell me how I have to listen to my music.  OK, that's a bit too harsh. What I'm trying to say with that is even with LLL, I love to just sit down, put in the CD and listen to Matessino's track orders in one go, but when I'm commuting, I prefer to listen to my own combinations - I always create a suite at the end, for example, from alternates and concert pieces. Or I may decide I want these two tracks together that he didn't join because of that 10-minute rule.

There's always ways against digital media. Recording is simple enough; and that will always be around. Tracking metadata bothering you? Just convert it with Audacity. Problem solved. I think some form of physical media will always be around as long as there are people who want it. Digital media is simply there for those who don't.

I think physical media could stick around for certain releases, where there's a niche demand. But I seriously doubt the majority of new music will still be released that way. There have already been at least a few major album releases on digital only, not to mention tons of exclusive tracks on digital platforms. Plenty of artists have released non-album singles that never get a physical release. Another sign of the times is the staggered release structure we've seen, for example with the Post, where the digital release comes out first. The CD is becoming more of an afterthought.

The moment an artist is done mastering a new album, it can be released for sale digitally.

A physical release won't happen until AT MINIMUM 2-3 weeks after that between the whole printing press process as well as distributing it across the country/countries so each store can begin selling it on the same day. 

With regards to pressing plants, there there are fewer and fewer of all the time meaning each has a longer and longer backlog of orders to press

Please read the forum rules before asking a question like that.

Or better yet:

On 3/13/2018 at 9:54 PM, Jay said:

If you plan on pirating this track instead of purchasing it, please don't talk on our public forums about that, or how you've pirated it for other people. Use your head.

Please just talk about the music track itself, and the software and methods one might use to archive yourself a recording of it if you did buy it, IE for in case Movies Anywhere ever takes it away or you don't want to use internet bandwidth to listen to it every time, etc. Please don't talk about uploading it to others or downloading it if you didn't buy it. We have a freaking PM system people.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

There should be absolutely no fucking reason a PC can't play HD video/audio other than money for the corporations who already have 100 times more than they know what to do with. At least make the HDCP license purchasable so we get to view it on our preferred device and they make even more money!

You can't "buy" a HDCP licence for a certain content file. The whole point of HDCP is to force both ends of a connection (i.e. a Blu-ray player and a TV, or a computer and a screen) to have a certificate that allows them to interchange encrypted content which cannot be decrypted by any other party. Getting your own private HDCP licence to decode the files yourself without the industry being able to control what you then do with the decoded data would completely defeat the concept behind it.

Needless to say, the whole thing sucks.

Content Protection

On 14/3/2018 at 8:37 AM, artguy360 said:

Some pretty cool small moments in the complete score. I'm surprised the big Holdo desperation motif that plays between her and Leia was left off the OST. That to me is one of the major highlights of the score.

Where is that exactly?

edit: never mind, I found it.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I read a rumor that apple will get rid of it's download section altogether further adding to my fears we wont control our music anymore. Is that possibly true

Yep. I'm pretty sure in a few years the a la carte offerings from Apple, Google, et al will be gone. Streaming will be the new normal.

12 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

Can anybody tell me, where exactly the Quote from The long goodbye is in the isolated score? I do not remember it from viewing the movie.

Is in the fathiers chase scene.  In the isolated score (and movie) is at 67min 40 seconds

I am pretty sure the Long Goodbye quote is earlier than that (during the codebreaker appearance)

Also funny how that womans scream is apparently part of the soundtrack for the Fathiers chase

35 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I am pretty sure the Long Goodbye quote is earlier than that (during the codebreaker appearance)

No. It’s not. Listen to the Fathiers sequence in the iso score. It plays very clearly on the piano in one of the pauses 

If your recording of the isolated score starts right at the STAR WARS title your timestamps will be off by about 18.5 seconds from the film, since that's the time it takes for the Lucasfilm and "A long time ago" logos.

It was actually quite a pain to sync it up to the video—I think MA plays at 24 fps while a Blu-ray rip will be at 23.976.

33 minutes ago, aviazn said:

MA plays at 24 fps while a Blu-ray rip will be at 23.976.

Holy cow I never even thought about that.

50 minutes ago, aviazn said:

They're STILL keeping to that idiotic standard? Non-cathode ray TVs and digital image should have killed all these idiotic NTSC/PAL and region code things, they've become completely arbitrary, they have NOTHING to do with the electrical grid frequency anymore! DVD I can sort of understand, as it was introduced when most people only had old cathode ray TVs, but Bluray makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

No. It’s not. Listen to the Fathiers sequence in the iso score. It plays very clearly on the piano in one of the pauses 

This is what happens when I dont even remember what the Long Goodbye sounds like

So would someone with sufficient skill be able to take the MA iso track, adjust it to 23.976 fps speed, invert it, and overlay it onto the BD's stereo film audio track in sync? Or would the lower bitrate of the MA make this impracticable? Hypothetically of course.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

So would someone with sufficient skill be able to take the MA iso track, adjust it to 23.976 fps speed, invert it, and overlay it onto the BD's stereo film audio track in sync? Or would the lower bitrate of the MA make this impracticable? Hypothetically of course.

Practically, it's better to change the frame rate of the video to match the audio. Although now that I'm thinking about it, it's possible that both MA and the Blu-ray are at 23.976. What I know for sure is that the first time I tried to sync them up in an MKV, they were off by a few seconds by the end of the film, and I had to do a manual override to set the Blu-ray rip to 23.976. Maybe my software tried to default to 24 (though why I'm not sure, since 23.976 should be the standard) and I needed to manually override it. That would actually make more sense. All I can say is you might have to play with the frame rates to get it right.

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If it were actually the frame rate and pitch, wouldn't it be off by many minutes, rather than just a few seconds?

Depends on the framerate difference, for example: 24 vs. 42 instead 23.937 vs. 24