Which Jerry Goldsmith over-the-top comedy score is the best?

Brundlefly

Which Jerry Goldsmith over-the-top comedy score is the best?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of those four scores is the best?

• The 'Burbs
    • Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    • Small Soldiers
    • Looney Tunes: Back in Action

I've been wondering what you think of Jerry's over-the-top comedy scores and which one you can recommend.

"The 'Burbs", "Gremlins 2: The New Batch", "Small Soldiers" and "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" are somehow the second "Big Four" in my opinion. Whereas the auto-pilot action scores are generated from "Total Recall", the over-the-top comedy scores are generated from "Gremlins", but they evolve the idea of satirical composing and are much more regarded among Goldsmith fans! Is it worth having them all? Is it worth buying the deluxe editions? Do the remaining scores require a deluxe treatment? Are there further scores you would consider to belong to the "Jerry Goldsmith over-the-top comedy scores"-series?

Discuss and recommend!

I like Small Soldiers and especially The Burbs the most, maybe because they seem less like pure fun, but like satirical method composing. At least that is my impression, especially when I'm listening to The Burbs.

The Burbs is freaking epic. It's got everything and the kitchen sink (organ, dog bark synths...). The others are great too though.

You should add options for S*P*Y*S and especially Mom and Dad Save the World.

Yavar

I could never get over those dog bark synths in The 'burbs. I even show that track to the uninitiated to demonstrate that film scores are more than just traditional orchestra. They think I'm nuts as soon as they've heard the track.

Yeah, I like it too. I'm happy to finally have The Imposter on CD.

I think Small Soldiers will become more popular when people see the whole cake and not just a tiny bit.

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I could never get over those dog bark synths in The 'burbs. I even show that track to the uninitiated to demonstrate that film scores are more than just traditional orchestra. They think I'm nuts as soon as they've heard the track.

It's impressive how silly things can be at first glance which turn out to be masterful art at second glance.

You forgot to include "Dennis the Menace."

I always considered this JG's version of Home Alone. 

Not his best, maybe, but certainly up there. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd vote for "Other: See Comment"

Here's my comment:

Dennis the Menace

Would you really consider that as "over-the-top"? I'd say it belongs more to Home Alone and The Terminal - light-hearted comedy scores. Maybe in between both categories.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Would you really consider that as "over-the-top"? I'd say it belongs more to Home Alone and The Terminal - light-hearted comedy scores. Maybe in between both categories.

I guess "over-the-top" isn't the best descriptor.  It's just my personal favorite Goldsmith comedy score.