What are your Top 5 all-time favourite songs?

Josh500

Are you sure? It goes everywhere... it's very intimate.

No particular order. :-)

Sorry if the youtube videos are not available in your countries!

1) Roy Orbison & k.d. lang - Crying

Because Roy... well it's Roy... My Roy... Because a man can cry too... and this is a beautiful duet.

2) Félix Leclerc - Présence

I'm a Québécois, you already knows that.... Félix is our national poet...

You bring in my attic the dream which I need 
As the soft sap which feeds the shrub 

If ever you go away, my sweetheart 
I shall also go away...

3) Robert Charlebois - Je reviendrai à Montréal

Another great Québécois singer. I can leave Québec sometimes, but I always come back.

I will return to Montréal... I need this light, coming straight down from Labrador...

4) Barbara - Si la photo est bonne

How can I explain who is Barbara...  French singer... gay icon... she once said that she would have liked being a prostitute.

In this song, she's the President's wife.. she looks at young men photography, young men that will be put in jail... she sings... bring me this young man... if it's a good photo... ;-)

5) Charles Aznavour - Mais c'était hier.

Well, it's my favorite singer.  His main subject: time, the youth that goes away...

Yesterday, we where two... 

Impossible list, I'd have to go through every piece of music I've ever listened to to properly rank them (I can forget so many things I love!) and it'd probably change weekly anyway.

A Day in the Life would probably be a given.

Probably Rock n Roll Suicide, too.

Can't forget Time!

If Bespin can post gibberish, here's some more: ;)

It's not a masterpiece musically, nor does it require much singing talent, but the incredibly relatable bittersweetness of the melody and the lyrics makes it still one of the most popular songs if the country. It's about a summer vacation at Lake Balaton (national and cultural icon, largest lake of Middle-Europe, every Hungarian goes there at least once every year, it's just a given) that's about to end, reflecting on some of the silly small things that happened that stay with us.

I have a ton of songs I know in and out and always love to nod/hum along to, but to actually make it to the top 5 favourite requires a bit more, and I'll probably stop here now or I'll fall into another endless loop of clicking on another song I love in the Youtube Recommended feed and realising it's 1 o'clock and I have to get up at 6.

It would be easy to say "my favourite song, from my favourite group", but that would be rather clinical.

For "epic", read AWAKEN, NATURAL SCIENCE , THE PROPHET'S SONG, DOGS, and especially UNQUIET SLUMBERS FOR THE SLEEPERS.../...IN THAT QUIET EARTH/AFTERGLOW.

For "intimate", read LOVE OF MY LIFE, BLOOD ON THE ROOFTOPS, SHADOW OF A LONELY MAN, and DAYSLEEPER.

For "rocking", read RADIO SONG (my ultimate REM song!), GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS, DJ, and SLAINTE MHATH.

For "pure pop", read DON'T YOU WANT ME, CARS, and NEED YOU TONIGHT.

There's a lot of smoke, there...but there's some fire...

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A Québécois folk song! Wow! This is heavy!

Show us your Ontarian culture LOL! ;)

(if it exist!) :o

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

It would be easy to say "my favourite song, from my favourite group", but that would be rather clinical.

For "epic", read AWAKEN, NATURAL SCIENCE , THE PROPHET'S SONG, DOGS, and especially UNQUIET SLUMBERS FOR THE SLEEPERS.../...IN THAT QUIET EARTH/AFTERGLOW.

For "intimate", read LOVE OF MY LIFE, BLOOD ON THE ROOFTOPS, SHADOW OF A LONELY MAN, and DAYSLEEPER.

For "rocking", read RADIO SONG (my ultimate REM song!), GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS, DJ, and SLAINTE MHATH.

For "pure pop", read DON'T YOU WANT ME, CARS, and NEED YOU TONIGHT.

There's a lot of smoke, there...but there's some fire...

Cars... this one?

Oh yeah!!!

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

:banghead:

There @Bespin! Ontarian culture at its finest.

Justin Bieber... Shawn Mendes? :lol:

Don't be shy to put Despacito!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Cars. this one?

Yep, that one!

Angst-fuelled rant against isolationist Thatcherism, or paean to four-wheeled, motorised transport? Who cares, when it sounds like this! :)

Rock that Prophet 5!

I agree with @Holko, this kind of thing changes weekly, really.

Here is a current top 5.

From 1987-88, Something to Believe In, by The Bangles.  A good band really, some great material hidden amongst some not so great stuff.  Harmonies were the group's strong point.  This particular song was written and sung by their former bassist Michael Steele.  Her smooth contralto and intelligent bass work was really the glue that held the group together.  A beautiful song, a tad U2-esque.

Drive, by The Cars.  Poetically magnificent, richly sung.  Atmospheric.  I must say, it moves me.

Somewhere, by Rich Mullins, 1988.  Mullins was CCMs most distinctive poetic voice.  A lot of his material has not aged well, but what has, I think, is quite interesting musically.  This is a driving number delivered with his usual unrefined, yet distinctive, nasally vocals.  Interesting instrumentation.

Remember the Feeling by Chicago.  Peter Cetera has great range here.  David Fosters slathers on the production, but the interesting harmonic textures make up for it.

@Bespin, j'adore la musique de Roy Orbison.  Are you familiar with this song, Wild Hearts Run Out of Time?  A bit overshadowed, perhaps, by the period production (which I, for one, love) but one can't go wrong with his timeless delivery.       

The category is too wide for me, and so too much to choose from. I would need more specific parameters (particular music genres etc.). But I'll think about it.

This thread is a very good idea, says a lot on people who participates (yes we want gibberish, your gibberish, like someone said before me), and of course it tells even more about the ones that say they will not participate...

After some careful thinking, this could probably be my fifth on the list:

Some of you guys may even recognize it, it was pretty big and many foreign covers exist.