John Williams sweeps Filmtracks 2017 awards winning all 3 categories!

TheUlyssesian

Terribly conservative list. Practically ALL traditional Hollywood scores. And yes -- THE POST is a million times better than TLJ.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It is quite exciting.

Not that exciting though. Apart from 3 pieces that stand out in the film the rest is quite middle of the road JW.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Terribly conservative list. Practically ALL traditional Hollywood scores. And yes -- THE POST is a million times better than TLJ.

Nice to see someone making a conservative list for once.

1 minute ago, hornist said:

It was an amazing year for this wonderful composer, well deserved!!  Sadly this is the only place in this world that cannot see that.:eh:

Come now Pasi. Don't give up. There are still some JW fans here.

JW did have an excellent year in 2017. I enjoyed both The Post and The Last Jedi very much, the latter perhaps more than the former though.

I enjoyed both The Post and The Last Jedi as films and also the scores, but the latter film had a lot of questionable logic and story choices. Looking forward to Spielberg's sequel to the former, titled The Stamp.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I enjoyed both The Post and The Last Jedi, but the latter had a lot of questionable logic and story choices. Looking forward to Spielberg's sequel to the former, titled The Stamp.

I would prefer something like The Stamp and the Mail Man - The Postal Story.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Some serious JW fanboysim from Clemmenson here. So many potential composers to award

So when a person chooses the best of the year, his opinion, it is just fanboyism? As far as I understand these awards were given by Clemmensen himself and not some body of voters.

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What is so terrible about traditional orchestral scores. I prefer them too honestly over droning soundscapes.

As Thor said, there's nothing terrible about it, but some of us appreciate a wide variety of scores and find it utterly tiring and sophomoric when people like Clemmenson or yourself pit them against each other at every turn.  

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Some serious JW fanboysim from Clemmenson here. So many potential composers to award

Hardly that when you see Williams hasn't won the top composer award since 2005 I believe. You'd argue Williams might have more wins if CC were a fanboy. 

24 minutes ago, TGP said:

As Thor said, there's nothing terrible about it, but some of us appreciate a wide variety of scores and find it utterly tiring and sophomoric when people like Clemmenson or yourself pit them against each other at every turn.  

Agreed, it is predictable at this point. I can't remember the last time he or any other film music critic gave a none tradtional score or electronic score a high rating.

Just now, bollemanneke said:

What's so great about the Post? Honestly confused here...

Where to start? I urge you to check out the discussion thread about the score. I know that I posted my views there, at least.

Well, it is good to see Williams getting his due from someone.  I think Clemmenson is an intelligent fellow.  Williams was in great form last year, with Dear Basketball and Markings especially being truly great pieces.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Not true. He was quite complimentary of the recent Thor Ragnarok and has provided high scores to other electronic scores like Tron Legacy and many Goldsmith scores and has praised electronic elements in Elfman scores.

It is true. Tron: Legacy was 7 years ago, not really recent - I couldn't remember it and it includes some orchestral backing too. I was talking fully electronic scores, or unconventional orchestral scores, not just an electronic element. Recently meaning from the last 3 to 5 years.

Precisely.  Those aren't non traditional scores or electronic scores at all, those are actually quite traditional scores that use electronics in a fairly traditional way.  Clemmenson is just a scourge of the film music community, a harmful influence.

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

I live for Clemmensen's disdain for Zimmer. Probably my favourite reviewer out there to be honest. He did award The Post 3 stars though which was surprising.

His verbal assassination of Zimmer is something to behold. I love it!

Also he gave the score for The Post 4 stars and the album 3 stars.

It's such a wildly uninformed and childish disdain though.  Everyone loves an entertainingly bitingly critical review every now and then, but there has to be wit and intelligence to it.  CC's manner is that of a petulant child.

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

It's such a wildly uninformed and childish disdain though.  Everyone loves an entertainingly bitingly critical review every now and then, but there has to be wit and intelligence to it.  CC's manner is that of a petulant child.

How can a dislike in music be "uninformed"?

Do I have to read along with the sheet music and count the number of sharps and flats?

GTFO