Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

77/80/83: original releases on vinyl

80/90something: initial CD releases

2015: Sony, digital only

2016: Disney Records, digital only, plus a 3LP deluxe hologram/book edition for ANH

2017: Disney Records, CD

2015 (January 2016, actually): Sony, digital, vinyl and CD (except the OT OSTs)

Yet another Star Wars OST re-release/remaster/re-whatever in my collection. :)

Nevertheless, the best sounding (being OST or film tracks) release is now 25 years old (almost as old as I am)! So I wonder what sources were used for these reconstructions, and how better will they sound...

15 hours ago, Ricard said:

2015 (January 2016, actually): Sony, digital, vinyl and CD (except the OT OSTs)

lol!  All my years were off by one; I must have thought were were currently living in 2017 instead of 2018.  I fixed my post.

19 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's a shame RotJ is not adapted to the running time of the other albums. An addition of 32 minutes would be a great idea, if not a necessary idea.

Those cues were a necessary loss. Soon we will have a new copy of the OST. One far shorter and more powerful.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Indeed!

Mike M has said himself on podcasts he'd love to tackle the Star Wars scores all over again.

These editions do not prevent that from still happening some day.

In fact, its actually good news if the press release is accurate and Shawn Murphy supervised a new digital transfer of the original elements.

That means if Disney were to hire Mike, they'd already have proper digital high res elements to give him to work with, and he wouldn't have to wait for everything to be transferred.

Of course, he would need a lot more material than these guys did; They might have only transferred the cues that made it to the OST programs.  Who knows.

Well if that quote I posted is accurate, than everything was transferred.

Let's hope whatever they transferred included the ROTJ album recording sessions, which yielded not only all the concert arrangements, but also the end credits, revised sail barge assault, and I think another cue or two (maybe the revised Funeral Pyre cue?).  If they found and transferred that, it means the Jabba The Hutt concert arrangement recording isn't lost to time.

well we had a slight glimmer of hope when the rights passed from Sony to Disney. Now it's the same shit all over again. Either they have no clue whatsoever or they're laughing at us at this point

Like they were re-issued already 6 months ago....

this is fucking horrible and discouraging news..after all this time of hoping. i would have even gone for a remastered 2. c.d. ROTJ but they managed to fuck it up by making it the 40 minute OST

13 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Not the reveal I was hoping for. Oh well. I'll wait patiently for remastered complete score releases.

just how long has is been already?

At least the iso score for TLJ mitigates this emotionally right now (but not really because it can be considered a bootleg) ..But this is probably a freak one off thing that will never happen again

23 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I'm curious about Return of the Jedi .is it the 2 c.d.. one or the 40 minute album?

All six albums are just the original OST programs

12 minutes ago, King Mark said:

well we had a slight glimmer of hope when the rights passed from Sony to Disney. Now it's the same shit all over again. Either they have no clue whatsoever or they're laughing at us at this point

Sony issued the original OST programs for the original trilogy in January of 2016 in digital and vinyl.  But they were actually just remasters of the finished analog LP masters made in 77/80/83.  In January of 2017, Disney Records reissued the digital editions Sony had just put out since Sony's contract was now over.  The CDs Sony released in 2016 were the 1997 2CD sets, and Disney has not yet put out any Star Wars material on CD other than the TFA and TLJ OSTs until this release.

This is the first time the OST albums have actually been properly remastered ever, and also the first time the 2LP program of TESB has been on CD ever.

This is also the first time the prequel OSTs have been remastered ever, and this is actually those OSTs returning to being in print at all on CD since they've been officially OOP on CD since Jan 1 2017.

Disney spending money to rebuilt and reissue the OST programs like this does not indicate proper remastered editions can't also happen in the future.  It might even mean they are next on their schedule now that these are out.

12 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Well, I'm 100% certain they'll release the complete editions someday.

They just know how to milk this cash cow.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, Margo Channing said:

Why do the prequels need "remastering"? Was there something wrong with how they sounded before?

I bet they've just made them brighter and louder for mass market satisfaction.

I am not sure why you put "remastering" in quotes - getting a fresh transfer of original elements and re-cutting them to match the old albums is the literal definition of remastering.  If anything, you can put the 2016 Sony editions as a "remastering" in quotes, because all they did was take the old LP masters and spruce them up digitally.

The only good thing would to have OST of the original SW Trilogy OST programs on cd with a proper remaster etc. I still think this project began when Shawn Murphy and Pat Sullivan were assigned the Vinyl box set. I'am definitely getting the first 3! (i.e the original Trilogy)

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

just how long has is been already?

It's been 21 years since the 1997 2CD sets of the OT, 18 years years the TPM Ultimate Edition, 16 years since the AOTC OST, and 13 years since the ROTS OST.

1999 -> 2005 was still the end of the analog era and beginning of the full digital era.

Of course the prequels can sound better than the original OSTs did.  The AOTC OST is full of hiss.  (ROTS probably won't sound much different in the end).

And of course, as always, no one is forcing you to buy the new versions or taking your old versions away.

11 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

You got a problem with quotation marks now? What is it with you?

Quotation marks are fine if they're used correctly and appropriately. Here they are not.

What, you have a problem with something being used correctly and appropriately? What is it with you?

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Quotation marks are fine if they're used correctly and appropriately. Here they are not.

What, you have a problem with something being used correctly and appropriately? What is it with you?

Okay, "remastered" then.

2 hours ago, phbart said:

Aside from the sound quality of the original trilogy, I'm most curious about how a remaster "Duel of the Fates" will sound like.

Was there anything wrong with the sound on the original release?

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

There's no forwards or backwards about this.

When companies make decisions that take the market backwards, it's called moving backwards. 

These single discs represent obsolete edits and playlists of music that I've had in superior presentation since 1997. I won't ever want to listen to these, and I have $75 that I'd rather just look at than buy these discs. 

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

They blew their chance to make the cover art match the new movies.

Oh when all 9 movies are out, you know they'll just release all 9 soundtracks with matching cover art all over again....

Milking the cow. 😂 

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Was there anything wrong with the sound on the original release?

Careful, Jay will bark at you demanding to know 'did you see a claim somewhere that there was someting "wrong" with it?'

18 hours ago, Jay said:

No specialty label will ever expand Star Wars scores.  They're in Disney Records territory forever now.

But they can get Matessino? Or is he only working with the specialty labels?

Or maybe Disney is ignorant of the great work he's doing and they'll get their own collaborator?

by the way, it's funny, they're milking the music of star wars, but not the actual films, by releasing the ORIGINAL ones that we all want!

I still can't understand why they are not releasing the complete scores. Disney and all labels knows that there's market for any complete score from Williams and, specially, for Star Wars.