Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

the Star Wars fans of today want it at 128kbps on Spotify on their smart phone

The same as the ones who eat Tide Pods and Downy Dipping Dots...  Love ya, millennials! ;) 

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

I don't understand.

A higher sample rate can improve the sound quality by allowing a wider cutoff for the anti-aliasing filter, and it can somewhat decrease the noise. But I don't understand why anobody would need a sample rate as high as 384kHz at 32-bit.

Here's some good answers:

https://www.quora.com/What-impact-does-increasing-the-sample-rate-have-on-the-quality-of-audio&ved=2ahUKEwjN1J7GgIPaAhXDJ5oKHSe7D4YQjjgwAHoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0DwYZVhHqZVa1azORuJx1o

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hey guys, I took a new selfie of me thinking about these new releases!

Image associée

A very quick look at it made me think it was an artificial vagina.

33 minutes ago, Chewy said:

NOOOOO!

I wanted to order them from Amazon DE, the prices in Euros would be okay, and the shipping is free... Not they're gonna list the proper versions as imports with twice the price if at all...

Amazon UK has them at 1.3 times the US price plus shipping and taxes.

A sincerely huge FUCK YOU to every German who's too lazy to learn at least this much English and demands everything to be handed to them on a silver platter with their shitty translations. I really hope it's just one additional piece of paper they've put in front of the proper cover in the jewel case, and the liner notes(?), poster and discs themselves are unaffected.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A higher sample rate can improve the sound quality by allowing a wider cutoff for the anti-aliasing filter, and it can somewhat decrease the noise. But I don't understand why anobody would need a sample rate as high as 384kHz at 32-bit.

Here's some good answers:

https://www.quora.com/What-impact-does-increasing-the-sample-rate-have-on-the-quality-of-audio&ved=2ahUKEwjN1J7GgIPaAhXDJ5oKHSe7D4YQjjgwAHoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0DwYZVhHqZVa1azORuJx1o

Yeah ok, but why were you talking about time resolution?!

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Honestly 24bit/96khz is probably good enough for everything ever, but what are you gonna do

Yeah, the exceedingly high quality samples are probably mostly for marketing purpose.

57 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

I studied urban planning and do graphic design and desktop publishing as a side job..... who did those covers? :( FOUR DIFFERENT font sizes in these two lines! Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-23 um 19.51.10.png

They should get that graphic designer to work on the Hans Zimmer and RCP albums. There can be a different font size for each "additional music" composer.

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

A sincerely huge FUCK YOU to every German who's too lazy to learn at least this much English and demands everything to be handed to them on a silver platter with their shitty translations.

Hey, nobody is actually asking for that. It's just all part of Disney's merchandise empire, of course they think they sell more if they offer German covers....

13 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yeah ok, but why were you talking about time resolution?!

I see I made a bad choice of words. I was intending to refer to the given advantages caused by the high sample rate (which can be thought of as a kind of time resolution).

9 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

Hey, nobody is actually asking for that. It's just all part of Disney's merchandise empire, of course they think they sell more if they offer German covers....

Aren't you guys the other huge empire of dubbing? When people refuse to watch anything other than dubbed movies, it sends a message to companies like these. I know, I have to deal with our own cinema monoply empire all the 2 times per year I want to go see a movie there. In a society like that (at least until the older generations die out), when faced with that choice, a majority would choose dubbing and translated, even if it's vastly inferior, it's partly because they've been conditioned to, partly because they're lazy.

well, again: it's always a question of supply and demand. Why should the German brands of the studios pass on this chance? At the same time more and more cinemas in Germany are showing the original version and thankfully people go and see it.

why didn't they release it that way way back then?

I'm trying to put myself in Shawn Murphy's shoes who is painstakingly working on it. Why on earth would he not want cues like The Dark Side Beckons to be on there

It's almost like he only cares about the sound only and not the contents

too bad Murphy is stricly a sound guy and doensn't  seem to have any interest whasoever in expanded releases, almost like a corporate suit with technical knowledge and clueless  as to what fans want at this point

clearly he could have made it happen

18 minutes ago, phbart said:

Will Spotify replace the "old" release for this one?

I guess it would be wise to record the Spotify versions of ANH and ESB just to have a backup of that particular remastering.

The sound quality is also severely lacking. Empire and especially Jedi sound lifeless and the latter is intolerable much of the time. Star Wars is too loud and shrill.

The album and Anthology versions sound better. The album mixes of Empire and Jedi are glorious. The scores really come alive.

Do you think Disney will have a heart and change the artwork before releasing it in May? I'm sure their art department have been scratching their heads because Sony had already done so many reissues with various likeable artwork that essentially robbed them of any more ideas.

Im simply going to insert these new 3 disc's in the box set which Sony last did. (The way they should have done since the artwork and liner notes match the OST releases)

Sony will have their last laugh. 😁

They just need to stick to simplicity. TFA and TLJ got it right.

They're OSTs, too, so why not continue that trend and just format the other 6 the same way? Assign new colours to the first 6 movie logos and you're done!

TPM: Beige

AOTC: Purple

ROTS: Orange

SW: White

ESB: Blue

ROTJ: Green

3 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Dunno what the prominent colour of the movie and the marketing material will be yet.

Pretty positive it will be blue. The second-last scene of TLJ seemed like foreshadowing in that regard.

ANH : sand beige

ESB : ice blue

ROTJ : green forest

The rest I don't really care.

Admin note:  @Holko's original response to this, all all subsequent custom cover posts, have now been branched out to a separate thread and are available here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28434-star-wars-custom-covers-thread/

I was thinking that since Shawn Murphy has gone back to the available original film mixes/tapes; it would be interesting to see a major jump in the sound quality for both EMPIRE and JEDI. Also I'm beginning to see this as a test if this passes the quality check then Disney would seriously consider going for a more complete/definitive restorations in the coming years as Episode 9 wraps up. 

My wishful thinking is they wouldn't have bothered spending time and money scanning all the original master tapes, not to mention re-assembling the OST presentations from scratch, when the first-generation OST masters were already freshly scanned just 2 years ago, and already released under Disney's label. It makes no sense financially unless they're planning something bigger down the road.

I'm actually shocked they're using these transfers as the basis of these new CD releases, considering they could've easily re-purposed the 2015 OST remasters that Sony commissioned (which would have cost Disney basically nothing -- they're already using those on their music streaming platforms).

Of course, when any future expansion happens is anyone's guess. We know there have been 4K remasters of the original trilogy for years now, probably commissioned the same day Disney bought the company. Those are nowhere to be found.

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

My wishful thinking is they wouldn't have bothered spending time and money scanning all the original master tapes, not to mention re-assembling the OST presentations from scratch, when the first-generation OST masters were already freshly scanned just 2 years ago, and already released under Disney's label. It makes no sense financially unless they're planning something bigger down the road.

I bet they went back to the original master tapes because they anyway needed to scan all the cues, either for a future complete score release or for a blu-ray release with upgraded sound.

54 minutes ago, Amer said:

I was thinking that since Shawn Murphy has gone back to the available original film mixes/tapes; it would be interesting to see a major jump in the sound quality for both EMPIRE and JEDI. Also I'm beginning to see this as a test if this passes the quality check then Disney would seriously consider going for a more complete/definitive restorations in the coming years as Episode 9 wraps up. 

Aren't you satisfied with the sound quality of the 2015 digital releases?

Well if that's the case then it's nice to know someone actually cares about preserving the master tapes, especially considering their age.

I just hope all the rumours about the first-generation masters of ESB and ROTJ disintegrating during their 1997 scan (plus the supposedly lost tapes with the infamous sail barge source music) are incorrect, and the tapes were merely lost until someone had the time to scour the salt mines thoroughly.

Shawn Murphy's comment about these scans coming from a "best available source" has me a little concerned, admittedly.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet they went back to the original master tapes because they anyway needed to scan all the cues, either for a future complete score release or for a blu-ray release with upgraded sound.

You're right, I didn't think about that; Now that they have fresh scans of the original elements, they could remix the sound in the films themselves.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Shawn Murphy's comment about these scans coming from a "best available source" has me a little concerned, admittedly.

I noticed that part too.  It makes me wonder if he's mostly hinting at ROTJ, and that stuff is still missing there.