Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

REMASTERS OF THE FIRST 6 STAR WARS SOUNDTRACKS COMING MAY 4

FEATURING NEW ARTWORK AND A COLLECTIBLE POSTER!

This May the Fourth, fans of Star Wars music will have even more reason to celebrate.

Disney Music Group announced today that May 4, a.k.a. Star Wars Day, will see the rerelease of John Williams’ original six Star Wars soundtracks on CD — all remastered, complete with new artwork and a collectible mini-poster. This includes A New Hope (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Return of the Jedi (1983), The Phantom Menace (1999), Attack of the Clones (2002), and Revenge of the Sith (2005), which feature some of the Williams’ most memorable compositions, including the Star Wars main theme, “Imperial March,” and “Duel of the Fates.” You can get a first look at the covers below!

sw2018.JPG

The soundtracks were reconstructed from new hi-resolution (24/192) transfers supervised by Shawn Murphy and Skywalker Sound, and are available for pre-order now at the links below:

http://www.starwars.com/news/remasters-of-the-first-6-star-wars-soundtracks-coming-may-4

Since I don't own these 6 scores in any form (apart form the Decca JW Space Collection), I'll probably try and get them, even though those covers are horribly atrocious. They'll fit nicely with my TFA and TLJ OSTs (I hope). The Matessino complete editions will definitely come in their own time, but I never expected them to arrive until after the original trilogy. 

1 minute ago, OneBuckFilms said:

So the OT, will they be LP programs or remasters of the 2CD SE releases?

They're all in the same price category, so LP programs.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, it's the first appearance ever of the full 2LP ESB program on CD, so there's that.

Apparently it is only 1CD. Would the 2LP fit?

Yeah, both SW and Empire are 74 minutes, I just checked on Wikipedia to make sure.

Wonder if it's a jewel case or digipak to match the new "deluxe" OSTs? If it's the former, it's easy to swap that godawful thing to a custom based on Drew Struzan, or the original LP covers, or even to match the sequel OSTs, but I like digipaks better. You're tearing me apart, Disney!

Are all of these going to be clones of the awful remasterings of the current digital versions of the OT releases (on Spotify)? Something evil in me would force me to buy them anyway. Also, what would remastered prequel OSTs sound like? 

On 3/21/2018 at 3:51 PM, Fal said:

Apparently it is only 1CD. Would the 2LP fit?

The 2LP program of TESB is  74 minutes long.

Just now, Holko said:

Do the 2016 remasters count as "new high-resolution transfers"?

I think any high-resolution audio presented on a lossy bitrate would be redundant.

So they're really trotting out that dreadful 1 LP assembly of Jedi AGAIN.

Thanks, I'll stick to my crappy sounding RCA Victor release.

Maybe they will actually remaster ROTJ this time. I bet that the original OST sounded good enough that they "forgot" to touch it on the digital release last year...

5 minutes ago, Trent B said:

I am hoping in a year or two Disney will either give us proper remastered and complete versions of all six scores or let La-La Land or Intrada release complete remastered versions of all six.

No specialty label will ever expand Star Wars scores.  They're in Disney Records territory forever now.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

The original OST album of ROTJ has never not sounded good

It doesn't sound good to my ears even on my subpar headphones and speakers.

Yep. And they won't come out before the interest for Williams' officialy last Star Wars score dies down, so I think at least 2-3 years after Episode IX.

1 minute ago, someonefun124 said:

It doesn't sound good to my ears even on my subpar headphones and speakers.

I'm not talking about the 1997 2CD set nor the 1993 box set, but the original 1983 OST album.  If that's what you're talking about too, I've literally never heard anyone say a bad thing about its sound quality before and you'd be the first.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think any high-resolution audio presented on a lossy bitrate would be redundant.

Um.

You do know there are lossless digital purchasing options right?

3 minutes ago, John said:

Those covers are so bland.

It's those popping colour strips and the completely random and nonsensical choice of colours I really hate.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

IThey really used an inferior source in 97

They didn't for Jedi, it reportedly sounded great until they fucked up the Digital Noise Reduction in one of the last steps.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I'm not talking about the 1997 2CD set nor the 1993 box set, but the original 1983 OST album.  If that's what you're talking about too, I've literally never heard anyone say a bad thing about its sound quality before and you'd be the first.

Except Filmtracks/Clemmenson. " Avoid it... on the 1985 to 1993 albums because of poorer, archival sound quality"

11 minutes ago, Fal said:

Um.

You do know there are lossless digital purchasing options right?

I was referring to the already-existing digital albums on Spotify and iTunes. If they got it from a 24-bit source, it would not make much difference combined with lossy bitrates.

18 minutes ago, Fal said:

Except Filmtracks/Clemmenson. " Avoid it... on the 1985 to 1993 albums because of poorer, archival sound quality"

At least that recommendation makes people buy the 1997 or 2004 albums and leave the Anthology set available to those who actually like good sound quality.

It looks like the reason these got delayed from Nov 10 2017 to May 4 2018 was to include the prequels OSTs as well, I suppose.

Either that, or they wanted to wait to release them in an "off year" between Williams-scored sequel films.

At least that explains why they turned up last fall on Amazon with no press release, and then were later changed and became un-order-able until now; If you look at the old thread, the Amazon links that popped up online back then are the same as the "new" links

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28378-original-3-star-wars-ost-albums-coming-to-cd-november-10-from-disney-records/

On 9/25/2017 at 9:23 AM, Jay said:

These are on the US version of Amazon now too.  Same Friday, November 10th release date, no additional info

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VNP551

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VNX66B

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VNJCQ2

$14.98 each.

At least they're only $13.28 each now...