Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

On 19/4/2018 at 4:30 PM, crumbs said:

Yes the latter two prequels are a great example of short-sightedness on Lucas' part. For all his bluster about the advantages of digital technology, the inevitable 6K modern scans of the original trilogy will ultimately supersede the prequels (forever locked at 1080p). Now that's irony!

Interesting titbit on Lord of the Rings too, Jay! I feel like there are untapped advantages to these super high audio resolutions that we're yet to unlock, but might discover in decades to come as audio technologies evolve. Mike Matessino planted an intriguing seed in my mind when he raised the notion that filmmakers could scan old multi-track masters and remix music into newer formats like Dolby Atmos, regardless of how long ago the score was recorded. Granted digital resolution and number of tracks are two different factors but we don't yet know what benefits these higher resolutions might yield in the future.

I believe Lucas was more interested in popularizing digital cinema than having the best versions of his films for all time.

As they were remaking those films and talking about digital cinema himself and Rick said a few times that these were as bad as it was ever going to look and it would only get better from there on out. 

Someone had to take the first plunge. 

27 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

As they were remaking those films and talking about digital cinema himself and Rick said a few times that these were as bad as it was ever going to look and it would only get better from there on out. 

I don't think the prequels have been remade yet.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't think the prequels have been remade yet.

So original. Much inovation. Wow 

Ho we talk about Condoms? Ok, I think I use them one or twice in all my life.

OK, you will say, I am with the same man since 23 years.

(Please read my mid-life crises thread)

On 4/21/2018 at 8:47 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Jurassic Park is better.

NOPE. They are both great.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Just to clarify, posting alternate custom covers for these releases on this thread is taboo but talking about condoms and poo is okay?

It's okay because we're refering to the prequels.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Stay away from the "Other Topics"-subforum!

I dunno, he might enjoy the thread on neck ties 

These are coming out April 27th in France?  That's in 2 days!

I guess those must be samples of the remastered ANH, then!  How's it sound?

The samples sound meh, but Amazon's soundclips are always heavily compressed.

Weird, even. Some speed/pitch issues, some unusual, even uncomfortable stereo mixing choices.

Just cancelled my preorder in case it's really this shite, I'll wait for your opinions on the final discs. So far, these samples just sound like they mixed it to give back the orchestra surround feeling without any regard to listenability (Inner City is almost hard left), then played it back on a turntable running slightly fast.

I was able to listen quickly and I had sound coming out of both speakers so it must have been your computer @mstrox

"The Desert and the Robot Auction" sample covers the segue between Desert Song and More Robot Auction so we should be able to tell if its a new digital edit or the old '77 analog edit

Overall these samples did NOT sound good to my ears on my quick listen.  Now, of course that could be largely to blame by Amazon's compression of the original CDs, BUT I am also hearing just weird mixing issues.  It doesn't sound to me like its "supposed to" if that makes sense.

They sound fine to me (although I wasn't listening with headphones). Obviously the quality is just due to Amazon's sample compression; but I didn't notice anything wrong with the mixing itself. The stereo spread for ANH has always been pretty wonky, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Compression problems aside, the sound is disappointing to say the least. Looks like who ever worked on this, pretty much followed John Neal's album mix. It does have a better stereo separation though.

Amazon compression is indeed heavy. Sounds like a badly encoded 64kbps audio with spectral band replication, like HE-AAC.

It's amazing Amazon bothers with samples if they are going to ruin the sound with low compression like that

33 minutes ago, voltisubito said:

i.e. the existing digital release of the OST. They are the same files.

I knew I wasn't been deceived by my ears. Why go to all the trouble of making a new transfer of the tapes at an absurdly high data rate of 192kHz/32bit, edit everything to match the album and make it sound like that in the end (I'm not talking about the compression).

I noticed that often times Amazon will bulk multiple different versions of a product onto a single page. You can see that the MP3 version is also present on that same page. Amazon just assumes they're the same thing, rather than separating them on different pages. So as voltisubito discovered, these are just from the previous release. That's good, I was getting a little concerned.

So strange it says it's coming out tomorrow in France, the price is still very high compared to Amazon.co.uk. I'll let you know guys if I find them at my local store.