Will you get the newly remastered Star Wars soundtracks?

Josh500

Will you get the newly remastered Star Wars soundtracks?   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the newly remastered Star Wars soundtracks?

I have all but the original albums of the OT on CD, so that's mainly why I want at least the OT CD's. I'm still deciding if I really want the prequel ones though, since I already have multiple copies of those on CD.

It will be interesting to see how different TPM and AOTC sound.  I expect ROTS will sound largely the same.

I never noticed hiss with my physical copy of AOTC (I had the Target version).  So if this does have better sound than the original issue that would be cool.

I do wonder if they'll include "On The Conveyor Belt" like what they did for the Target exclusive track. Someone should ask Shawn Murphy on Twitter.

48 minutes ago, Trent B said:

I do wonder if they'll include "On The Conveyor Belt" like what they did for the Target exclusive track. Someone should ask Shawn Murphy on Twitter.

I doubt it, unfortunately. They probably forgot that track even exists.

I noticed that on Amazon, "On the Conveyor Belt" is available on the digital releases in every country except the US. I don't see why considering the deal with Target has probably been up for at least a decade or more.

51 minutes ago, Trent B said:

I have never seen AOTC original soundtrack without "On the Conveyor Belt" in Europe or Japan. 

The one without it must be exclusive to the US! 

Not sure I understood you correctly. I meant that in the US, OTCB was a Target-exclusive track, yes, but everywhere else, it was included in every release, although it was called "bonus track."

If I hear any good feedback at all (i.e. these aren't just repressings of something already available) I will buy Star Wars - Return of the Jedi.  I haven't bought any version of these scores in 21 years, so it won't hurt too much.

I'm fascinated to think what the Main Title in Star Wars will sound like.  Film takes with the concert edit?  Hmmm...

They are not just repressings of something already available; They transferred the original session tapes at 32bit/192khz and then re-edited the albums from scratch from those new digital transfers.

Whether these new releases prove to be a great or slight improvement, I think it's worth having these to find out and to be included in any JW collection.

I wouldn't buy them if they were straight reissues with different cover art, but it's not that in this case. 

I'll most likely get Empire if it is indeed the first CD release of the 2 LP album presentation (albeit in recreated form). I must admit it will hurt, buying a physical CD with such an ugly cover. But at least I will get a poster. It better arrive in a jewel case though.

Star Wars I'm on the fence about, but will decide based on the sound quality reports here and elsewhere. If the difference ain't stellar, then I probably won't bother.

Jedi = no sale. I'm happy with the Arista (until MM works his magic on this one).

Prequels - nah. The OSTs sound fine to my ears, never had any issues with any of them (waiting for expansions before rebuying those).

8 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'll most likely get Empire if it is indeed the first CD release of the 2 LP album presentation (albeit in recreated form).

Heh.  Of course this means that the original Album of Empire will technically STILL be unavailable on CD.

Reminds me of an entry I saw in the old Schwann Record and Tape Guide, circa 1987, that had an erroneous listing that read:

The Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack [2 LPs on 1 CD] Polydor 825298-2

Imagine my disgust when, having ordered that title from a music retailer, upon it's arrival I immediately looked at the track listing on the back, only to discover that it was the truncated European version.

I guess credit where due, at least these aren't "remasters" like Sony used to keep shovelling out. Those amounted to little more than running the existing album masters through some useless noise "enhancement" software.

These are legitimate remasters sourced from the original master tapes, or at least the best ones available. I guess we'll find out just how good the quality of the original session masters are, after all those years lost in the salt mines. Hopefully they aren't sourced from second generation copies and they truly found the first generation masters.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:24 AM, Josh500 said:

I deliberately didn't include maybe.

You gotta know whether you want these or not, whether you will get these or not.

I hate wishy-washy uncertain people who always say "maybe".... ;)

How is “probably” different than “maybe?” Should have just left it as yes or no, then. 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:24 AM, Josh500 said:

I deliberately didn't include maybe.

You gotta know whether you want these or not, whether you will get these or not.

I hate wishy-washy uncertain people who always say "maybe".... ;)

How is “probably” different than “maybe?” Should have just left it as yes or no, then. 

You know you're an alcoholic when you repeat yourself. 

You know you're an alcoholic when you repeat yourself. 

You know you're an alcoholic when you... Oh damnit, damnit, goddammit. 

-- Robin Williams 

On 22.3.2018 at 11:33 PM, Josh500 said:

Not sure I understood you correctly. I meant that in the US, OTCB was a Target-exclusive track, yes, but everywhere else, it was included in every release, although it was called "bonus track."

I bought my copy in Europe and fortunately it doesn't include On the Conveyor Belt.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bought my copy in Europe and fortunately it doesn't include On the Conveyor Belt.

That's a pity.

On the Conveyor Belt is by far the best of the Target Star Wars soundtrack exclusive tracks.

Considering it scores the worst setpiece in all SW movies so far, it's not bad at all. (You know, when it's actually underscoring it and it's not horribly tracked music from all over the place - so all 10 seonds of it)

On my computer and mp3 player, I always create a sub-folder for bonus tracks or additional music that appears at the end of albums.

I hate that when an album ends and new music starts automatically. It's the worst thing in life.

I can't remember the last time I listened to a CD.

As soon as I get it, I rip it to lossless, those tracks goon a network hard drive and I stream it via iTunes to my Home Theatre Setup.  256kbps AAC goes on my iPhone/iPod classic. CD goes on a shelf (and soon, a box).

And it goes without saying, I create playlists so I can listen to the songs in whichever order I like. So unwanted bonus tracks and track order are pretty much irrelevant to me.

4 minutes ago, phbart said:

I still have a great sounding and fully functional Sony discman. That's were I mostly listen to music.

Mine died a long time ago in a galaxy far far away... I don't listen to CDs anymore since that time.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I use Spotify a lot for checking out new stuff, but music which I really like I prefer to own physically. And I prefer to listen to it on loudspeakers instead of headphones.

I'm the same. But I don't need the CD to listen via loudspeakers.

13 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm the same. But I don't need the CD to listen via loudspeakers.

Me neither, but I prefer the non-computerish user interface of a CD-player after sitting in front of a computer for a whole day at work.

My father bought 24 or 25 years ago. It's really amazing that it still working, but it is. It sounds excellent too. But you can't touch it while playing it, or it will skip.