Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Yeah those OLEDs look mighty nice.

Almost as good as a Sony Trinitron!   ;)

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

55" or 65"? 

We may go big... 75 I think. Alex it is the best picture I have ever seen. I was seriously impressed. So was Dave and he usually doesn't care.

Until then I will enjoy my college football in HD tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

We may go big... 75 I think.

With OLED, that translates into a 77" screen, and those are crazy expensive. The latest LG 77" TV costs around 7200 Euro around here. That's almost 3 times as expensive as the latest 65" from LG OLED. Are you sure?

2018_77_c8_a_3.jpg

If he can afford it, why not?

The only real issue with a screen that size is determining whether it's simply too big for the room. For most living rooms, a 55" will suffice, and anything bigger will look awkwardly huge and will disproportionately dominate the room.

But if you have a dedicated home theatre room, a 65" or larger should fit right in.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

With OLED, that translates into a 77" screen, and those are crazy expensive. The latest LG 77" TV costs around 7200 Euro around here. That's almost 3 times as expensive as the latest 65" from LG OLED. Are you sure?

Black Friday y'all ;)

So has anyone sampled Dolby Vision vs vanilla HDR10? Is DV worth the hand-wringing?

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

If he can afford it, why not?

Who can afford 3 of the latest 65" LG OLED screens? Most people have problems buying just one.

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

2018_77_c8_a_3.jpg

Oh I will save but I wont get it for at least 2 years

They will come down in price

Right now its 3700 dollars 

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

They will come down in price

Right now its 3700 dollars 

Really? Over here, the new model is 7200 Euro. The previous model (always a wise thing to do) is 6422 Euro. Not much difference...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 11:49 AM, JoeinAR said:

I think I will get this player Samsung UBD-M9700 4K Ultra HD blu-ray player. Its pricy but it will sync well with my other Samsung products. Dave and I will start planning(saving) for a new OLED tv. The Samsung and LG's at Sam's club have outstanding pictures that pop much more than that old viewimg formula says. 

I am quoting myself here because this model went from $379 to 499.00. I wont spend that much now. I will go with the Samsung UBD-9500 instead. I get my bonus on Friday. Its barely settling.  I will hold off until all the Black Friday ads arrive. Ive got my sister looking. She is the self proclaimed queen of bargains 

19 hours ago, crocodile said:

Anyone has seen Superman: The Movie yet? I might get it once I get back home.

Karol

Yes!  It looks great.  My only complaint is the uniforms on Krypton are not as bright as they used to appear, the HDR renders them a little muted.  Leaves the scenes looking a tad less other worldly.  Other than that its a winner. 

The player I want is on sale for Black Friday. That takes some of the sting out.

Like a few other folk, I'm weighing up getting a 4K player. I'm going to be living out of the country for the beginning of next year, so it most likely won't be until I'm back home. But here's my question....

If I buy some 4K discs almost as a future proofing method..... are any of the special features duplicated on the BD's you get in the same set? I'm actually specifically thinking about Hook. Do I get to see the deleted scenes in 1080 without a 4K player? Or do I just get the film on the other disc?

4K discs rarely feature any extras other than commentary tracks. The attached standard Blu-ray discs are usually just straight reissues of the stuff already available...with a few exceptions (2001 and The Matrix for example).

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

4K discs rarely feature any extras other than commentary tracks.

You would think that with their higher storage capacity, 4K discs would be able to handle supplements without sacrificing image quality

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

You know this? How?

Because its in Best Buys Black Friday sale. The Samsung UBD M9500. $199.00. I Haven't look at the walmart ad yet but it might be on sale their too. Samsung's BF ad wasn't out yet but I will check it too.

BTW I wont double dip on 4K films except Superman the Movie and E.T. the Extra-terrestrial. 

I will get Jaws and Ti-tanic when they become available.  I will get all new film purchases in 4K from now on.

Superman almost had me caving. Almost. I just can't bring myself to rebuy a whole bunch of movies that I already own on Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray (multiple versions in many cases).

20 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Superman almost had me caving. Almost. I just can't bring myself to rebuy a whole bunch of movies that I already own on Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray (multiple versions in many cases).

We are almost the same except I don't have it on laser. So for me it will be dvd, blu, and 4K.

Its a top 3 film for me.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:21 PM, crocodile said:

Why not just sell those Blu-rays? They're included in the set anyway.

Karol

Well, problem is there is zero secondary market for movies where I live.

Hell, if it wasn't released less than a month ago, it's regarded as an "old" movie.

On top of that, Blu-ray is very much a niche thing here.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:05 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Superman almost had me caving. Almost. I just can't bring myself to rebuy a whole bunch of movies that I already own...

JTW, let me put a little descaler in your think tank... BECAUSE IT'S SUPERMAN!!!!!

On 11/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, JoeinAR said:

We are almost the same except I don't have it on laser. So for me it will be dvd, blu, and 4K.

Its a top 3 film for me.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well, problem is there is zero secondary market for movies where I live.

Hell, if it wasn't released less than a month ago, it's regarded as an "old" movie.

On top of that, Blu-ray is very much a niche thing here.

Where do you live?