Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

I dunno... It doesn’t speak The Shining to me, but I kinda like it.

Whatever happened to original posters, or at least something that resembles poster art? I mean, look at these three last mentioned... Apocalypse Now, Apollo 13, The Shining... They all had way better original poster art.

They don't fit our modern sensibilities. Or the annoyingly square bluray cover format.

According to The Digital Bits, Batman's sound effects have been altered. As far as I know, this is the first time in history anything in one of the Batman movies has been changed.

It’s important to note, however, that Burton has made a few changes to the new mix. Longtime fans of the film will know that its post-production was rushed to meet the theatrical release date. So some of its sound effects were borrowed from other films. Specifically, most of the gun shots were reused cues from the Dirty Harryfilms. And when the Batmobile raises and lowers its armored shields, mechanical noises from James Cameron’s Aliens were used. For this new mix, all of those have been replaced with unique sound effects. It’s tastefully done and works well in context, but there will almost certainly be fans who quibble over the changes.

I would like to purchase digital copies of these remasters but I'm not sure if/when they'll replace the existing versions.

Yeah the thing with 4K is, the extra details from the higher resolution are nice but it's also about the wider colur gamut, HDR and better sound

Yeah, the extra detail really doesn't amount to much. From 2K to, maybe, 3.2K, and a bit extra resolution on the grains.

Its more the HDR that does the trick.

And older films seem to benefit more from the format. Probably because they are genuine 4K scans. Newer films are usually finished in 2K. With some exceptions (The Last Jedi).

Karol

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah, the extra detail really doesn't amount to much. From 2K to, maybe, 3.2K, and a bit extra resolution on the grains.

Its more the HDR that does the trick.

Wouldn't HDR make the image look less like film?

HDR, in itself, only sets a higher standard in how we perceive an image.

I think that you mean Noise Reduction (NR), which is used when working with high resolution images. NR removes visable noise (film grain) in an image - making the image more soft and, in the process, makes it feel less like actual “film” - but it also makes people look plastic and unnaturally shiny.

But I am sure there are people here that are way more knowledgeable about these things than me, but that’s what I gather, at least.

Denoising is mostly used for DMR: The process of “blowing up” a film for IMAX. When a filmstock has grain of a certain size, putting it on a much larger screen not only makes the grain distracting, but makes the audience aware that they are watching something which is far too enlarged.

That’s why even films shot on 1080p-digital transfer to IMAX better than 35mm film footage would, even though the latter is technically more detailed. It’s also why digital cameras don’t need IMAX-sized sensors: they just need to reach its level of detail, which they’re on the verge of doing.

36 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I think that you mean Noise Reduction (NR), which is used when working with high resolution images. NR removes visable noise (film grain) in an image - making the image more soft and, in the process, makes it feel less like actual “film” - but it also makes people look plastic and unnaturally shiny.

Batman has always looked great to me, but the home video versions had a soft, murky look about them. Climactic scenes were quite dark and hazy similar to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion graveyard scene. The 2005 remaster looked sharper and brightened it up a bit and the Blu-ray improved detail.

This 4K remaster looks so much more detailed than I've ever seen the movie before. It's like seeing it after Peter Parker takes his glasses off when he has his powers.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

HDR supposedly helps the colours pop. I haven't had the chance to see it properly yet.

All these Netflix productions are 4K HDR. And while it's just streaming quality (don't know how large the files are), it's already amazing and quite addictive.

49 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Sampled both of those. They look gorgeous. The standard Blu-ray included is also brand new transfer.

Karol

Just for everybody's information, BATMAN has a brand new audio remix with new effects and no inclusion of the original mix.

(edit: Oh, I see it was mentioned earlier)

Also, I'd say I prefer the old blurays based on comparisons like this in which the new one has black crush:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/659/picture:4

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Just for everybody's information, BATMAN has a brand new audio remix with new effects and no inclusion of the original mix.

(edit: Oh, I see it was mentioned earlier)

Also, I'd say I prefer the old blurays based on comparisons like this in which the new one has black crush:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/659/picture:4

I'm always skeptical whenever I see such pictures. They never seem to look like the real thing. Or are you referring to the regular Blu-ray included in this set?

Karol

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm always skeptical whenever I see such pictures. They never seem to look like the real thing. Or are you referring to the regular Blu-ray included in this set?

Karol

I'm referring to the regular bluray.

I do. And I need colors. I can imagine janus kaminski being utterly terrified at seeing an OLED television.

THERE ARE NOT THIS MANY COLORS!

There Are Not This Many Colors!

there are not this many colors

Climbs into fetal position and covers his eyes

21 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Anyone know if the new remaster is available to purchase as a digital copy? I don't buy discs anymore.

The four original films are now available in UHD on iTunes. 

I found the proper cover art and "4K" listed as highest available format on Movies Anywhere, but it prompted me to connect with Amazon Video to purchase and their site is completely unclear if it's the new version?

???

Screenshot_2019-06-04-11-01-56.png

Will somebody please tell me what kind of a world we live in...

Amazon may not have uploaded the 4K remasters yet.

If you have Movies Anywhere, purchasing them separately in 4K on iTunes should give you UHD rights on all connected platforms. When the 4K versions are made available on Amazon, you can watch them there.