Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

On 1/17/2019 at 3:23 PM, rough cut said:

No, the ubp-x800 is not new, but the ubp-x800m2 is. The m2 plays Dolby Vision which the old one didn’t.

Thanks for posting that! 😊

And it plays both SACD and DVD-A as well!

The m2 is probably the best value-for-money/most bang-for-the-buck/most price-efficient player on the market.

Eh .... There's too much red in the skin tones. It's a bit shocking, actually. Did you notice anything like that when you were watching it, crocs?

Why do people have to keep messing with colour? Why do whites have to be green and faces have to be red? Why is a resolution upgrade not enough? Fuck me.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Why do people have to keep messing with colour? Why do whites have to be green and faces have to be red? Why is a resolution upgrade not enough? Fuck me.

And not only the colors, some shots have way more shadows than ever before. This version might improve on resolution, but it looks drastically different. I'm having a hard time believing this is how it actually looks, especially regarding the red faces. They say youtube oversaturates but the standard Blu-ray looks quite normal/natural to me.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Transfering a film to UHD isn't just an act of pressing a button. It requires going over the whole piece, and stuff such as colour and sharpness also change along the way. The question is how out-there is the change. Its easy to make too much of these things.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Transfering a film to UHD isn't just an act of pressing a button. It requires going over the whole piece, and stuff such as colour and sharpness also change along the way.

??? 

It's a digital process and can be controlled or changed very precisely. My guess is that the youtuber fucked up.

Sure, but its not like you put the film into a computer and press a "4K" button and be done with it.

So naturally, its not going to be exactly like the 2K version just with better resolution. Hell, often the improvement between HD and UHD releases is in everything but the added resolution (which isn't too substantial anyway given that 35mm is only ~3K).

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Sure, but its not like you put the film into a computer and press a "4K" button and be done with it.

Knowing Ridley Scott, he digitally adjusted every scene all over again, until he was satisfied with it. BTW, Scott doesn't mind that each release has its own look. To him, there is no definite version.

15 minutes ago, The Original said:

So no zoom lenses. What about just long lenses that are primes?

They too have that very flat and compressed look. He needs to use wide-angle lenses more often. 

I love the use of wide lenses on extreme close-ups (think Fellowship of the Ring).

It makes the faces seem too close for comfort.

Are you sure this is a reliable source @Alexcremers? I'm not exactly how the 4K UHD content with HDR grading translates to YouTube upload? I don't think you should take that as a reference. I certainly can't recall any gammon faces on my TV. But wilk check again tonight.

And HDR is sort of the point of UHD. The resolution upgrade, while often noticeable, isn't going to improve that much in home setting. I mean there's only so much detail you'll see on your TV.

Karol

That and sharper grains.

35mm only contains about 3K of resolution, but by rounding that off to 4K you're not getting more information within the picture but you are getting a bit more resolution on the grains themselves.

If the filmstock has fine grains, these would be percieved as pieces of dirt within the frame and since these pinpoints appear to be fully in focus, it make the audience percieve the image as sharper and more detailed than it really is.

• 2 weeks later...