Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

I think I may get Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I have always been disappointed in the blu and much that I read about the 4K is that it is a superior picture.

Except in those soft focus moments. It features some of SS scariest moments outside of Jaws and JP.

Into Darkness is worth checking out I suppose as it changes aspect ratio during IMAX sequences but they're all 2K upscales anyway.

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Guess they are not expecting a fourth film

Thank Christ. 

• 2 months later...

They're both great examples of what the format can do with movies shot on 35mm :)

The Atmos sound mix on Ryan, especially during the beach landing, is incredible!

That is certainly true. All Spielberg films released in UHD have great looking discs. :)

I've pre-ordered the 6-disc Apocalypse Now set and cannot wait to revisit the film in glorious Dolby Vision. I also cannot wait to watch The Shining and Gremlins later this month.

Karol

Maybe I'll pick up a player for Black Friday.  My TV is already 4K / HDR / Dolby Vision, and my receiver already supports Atmos.  I don't have 8 speakers hooked up to it, though

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That is certainly true. All Spielberg films released in UHD have great looking discs. :)

I've pre-ordered the 6-disc Apocalypse Now set and cannot wait to revisit the film in glorious Dolby Vision. I also cannot wait to watch The Shining and Gremlins later this month.

Karol

I'll definitely be picking up The Shining and Apocalypse Now when they come out. I was very pleasantly surprised to see WB have gone for Dolby Vision with The Shining. Their support for DV on disc has been fairly weak so far.

Speaking of classics, I got Don't Look Now a few weeks ago. Not what you might think of as a potential demo disc but it is seriously one of the best transfers I have ever seen. There's just nothing digital looking about it. The resolution, colour and encode are all top notch. Another surprising Dolby Vision disc too.

One of the best 4K transfers I've seen is Godzilla (1998).

UHD is also the only source of newer transfers of Jurassic Park and The Lost World, which look much better than the previous Blu-rays.

10 hours ago, Alan said:

Speaking of classics, I got Don't Look Now a few weeks ago. Not what you might think of as a potential demo disc but it is seriously one of the best transfers I have ever seen. There's just nothing digital looking about it. The resolution, colour and encode are all top notch. Another surprising Dolby Vision disc too.

Oh I've got this one too. It's wonderful. :)

10 hours ago, Alan said:

I'll definitely be picking up The Shining and Apocalypse Now when they come out. I was very pleasantly surprised to see WB have gone for Dolby Vision with The Shining. Their support for DV on disc has been fairly weak so far.

I'm pretty sure they did it for 2001?

Karol

On 9/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, crocodile said:

Oh I've got this one too. It's wonderful. :)

I'm pretty sure they did it for 2001?

Karol

Yes I think they did. Whoever is working with them on the Kubrick titles must be pushing for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Suspiria-4k-Blu-ray-720px.jpg

I want that. And the 2018 version too. There's a German release that has both but I don't know how the transfer is on thst one.

Bought Daniel Craig Bond collection, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Scarface and Midsommar last week. The last one is available only in Italy so the main titles are in Italian and it has no English subtitles for Swedish speaking scenes. But it is the only physical version available so it'll do. It looks amazing.

Karol

• 4 weeks later...

So I checked the 4K image quality of Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey, and while better than their standard Blu-ray counterparts, playing them on my 65" OLED TV does reveal their age. I'm talking about noise, grain, a lack of clarity, you know, imperfections. I was hoping for a more dramatic improvement. :( I'm really beginning to think that we are getting used to the perfection of digital film and that it is spoiling us.

If you are looking for bluray/4k/future formats to make your films look new you will always be disappointed. 

If you expect a clean looking preserved copy of a film of a different era to look as best as technology allows then your expectations will be met. 

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

If you are looking for bluray/4k/future formats to make your films look new you will always be disappointed. 

If you expect a clean looking preserved copy of a film of a different era to look as best as technology allows then your expectations will be met. 

It's just that it wasn't so noticeable on my previous TV. On the OLED, however, you really can see the difference between old and new.

Just now, mstrox said:

I don't really care about 4K, but I think a lot of videophiles appreciate the presence of film grain vs. the attempted or successful erasure of it.

For the record I do not want to replace all my dvd's or blu-rays with 4ks but for instance the 4ks were cheaper than on Black Friday. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, Alan said:

They're both great examples of what the format can do with movies shot on 35mm :)

Don't forget, Alan, that the effects shots for CE3K, were shot in 70mm.

@Alexcremers, when you talk about the "noise", on BLADE RUNNER, do you visual, or audio noise?

I can't imagine replacing old movies myself - I never did from DVD to Blu, and I won't to 4K.  We recently got a 4K TV, but there's also no way I'll buy a 4K disc player until they're cheap.  Until then, we'll stick with 4K streaming when available, and otherwise what we have.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, Þekþiþm said:

Got it!

20190912_183110.jpg

Why do the Australian certification people insist on plastering those ugly warnings all over the front artwork of video releases there?

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Why do the Australian certification people insist on plastering those ugly warnings all over the front artwork of video releases there?

Prior to 2005, they used to be fairly unobtrusive and transparent. You could easily tolerate them and they were usually well integrated into the cover art. But that year, the Howard government ordered an overhaul of the ratings designs to make them more colour-coded and easier to distinguish for mums and dads in stores who had no idea what they meant. I screamed about this at the time because it meant my ROTS DVD would look different to my fucking TPM and AOTC DVDs.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, Þekþiþm said:

Prior to 2005, they used to be fairly unobtrusive and transparent. You could easily tolerate them and they were usually well integrated into the cover art.

I remember those, they were far more agreeable (my RoboCop SE DVD from R4 land has this variant).

On 12/12/2019 at 9:02 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

#FirstWorldProblems

The struggle is real

I seem to recall that in Canada, the Episode III DVD spine suddenly featured French language due to that province and some geeks were importing American copies for spinal consistency.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is interesting, I always upgrade my favorite movies to the latest standards as new formats emerge to have them in the best quality available. “Long live physical media” as the article concludes.

But who knows, in the future streaming might be the only available source for new standards and new releases?

A new twist in development for digital distribution is discussed on JWforum here which is super interesting.

5053083203047_front.jpg

I was thinking of buying this (I held it in my hands) but apparently it's The Ultimate Cut and there's no option to see The Theatrical Cut or The Director's Cut. Hmm ...