Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

Well it depends on how big a screen you're talking about and how far you're sitting from it.

In most cases, since having a projector means you're using a very large screen (60+"), then yes, 4K can make a difference. But most people under normal viewing conditions (i.e. screen size & distance) can't see the difference between 4K and 1080p (and often 720p).

HDR is another matter, of course.  But resolution has pretty much reached its limits for normal, home viewing in the way most people watch TV, and even 4K is often overkill. Most people don't watch movies with their mouth open, gawking 6" from a flat screen with the contrast turned up to max (i.e. the Curry's/Best Buy showroom experience).

20 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Don't 4K TVs have upscaling anyways?

Don't say that word. You just made the videophiles throw up in their mouth.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

But most people under normal viewing conditions (i.e. screen size & distance) can't see the difference between 4K and 1080p (and often 720p).

They won't percieve individual pixels, but they may sense a subtle change in image quality, because the finer objects in the frame (again, mostly stuff like strands of hair) would look a bit sharper.

I'm totally fine with my 1080p TV, though.

34 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What size is your TV, and how close do you sit to it?

Big and close

20 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Big and close

Do you know of Dr. Freud? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you.

Anyone who says size isn't important has not size nor experienced size.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought about future proofing my collection by buying 4K releases instead of Blu-ray when they also come with a Blu-ray Disc. 

Then I saw the price. €14.99 as opposed to €39.99? Didn’t take me long to make up my mind!

The usual suspects on the Facebook 4K group were kicking up a whinge because it was reported that the 4K transfer of SPR would retain its natural film grain. These people have no idea what film looks like and I'm sure if they had their way, they'd smooth over every older film to look more "digital". Scary people.

6 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

The usual suspects on the Facebook 4K group were kicking up a whinge because it was reported that the 4K transfer of SPR would retain its natural film grain. These people have no idea what film looks like and I'm sure if they had their way, they'd smooth over every older film to look more "digital". Scary people.

:eek::shakehead:

12 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I thought about future proofing my collection by buying 4K releases instead of Blu-ray when they also come with a Blu-ray Disc. 

Then I saw the price. €14.99 as opposed to €39.99? Didn’t take me long to make up my mind!

?

It's $19.96 at amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Saving-Private-Ryan-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B07B12HNN1

I know you're in Ireland but i guess you pay customs too?

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

I just become afraid the studios will listen to these people and start DNRing the shit out of future releases just to appease them.

"start"?

They have already started.

See eg. UHE predator.

Looking forward to seeing how the new UHD Predator will look like.

28 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

?

"start"?

See eg. UHE predator.

Yes I know. I mean on UHD discs on a mass scale.

33 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

?

"start"?

See eg. UHE predator.

https://www.towerrecords.ie/searchResults.asp

this is where I was looking. Dunkirk was the film in question. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Doesn't the aspect ratio occasionally change during the movie? 

It does, yeah. Like with all the other IMAX Blu-rays of his.

Karol

Dunkirk looks great on UHD, by the way. I've seen it as well on a regular Blu-ray (which also looks very good) and it's one of the better looking discs I own.

Karol

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Dunkirk looks great on UHD, by the way. I've seen it as well on a regular Blu-ray (which also looks very good) and it's one of the better looking discs I own.

Karol

I haven't seen this film (nor I want to), but if I did, I would prefer the non-yellow-tint version:

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/kk650s-Regraded-Dunkirk-2017-V2-blanket-yellow-tint-removed-from-blu-ray/id/58044

I could be wrong but I think it's just a matter of adjusting the slider of the colour temperature from 'warm' to 'cold'. 

19 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't seen this film (nor I want to), but if I did, I would prefer the non-yellow-tint version:

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/kk650s-Regraded-Dunkirk-2017-V2-blanket-yellow-tint-removed-from-blu-ray/id/58044

Wow it looks way better without the yellow tint!

I saw the film in the theater and don't remember it being yellow like that

I have an UHD screen, an UHD player, but no single UHD Blu-ray. As soon as their prices are not insane any more, I would buy them, but a normal Blu-ray has already a much better look, when you use UHD devices to play it.

40 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I have an UHD screen, an UHD player, but no single UHD Blu-ray. As soon as their prices are not insane any more, I would buy them, but a normal Blu-ray has already a much better look, when you use UHD devices to play it.

Most are $15-$20, as long as you’re not buying day one. Not unreasonable. 

Over here they cost anything between £19.99 (most of them) and £26.99. But they often do 2 for £30 offers so it doesn't really work out that much more expensive. The new standard Blu-ray costs £15. And both versions are included anyway.

Karol

Personally I don't get the hub bub about 4k and Ultra HD.  I am fine with just regular Blu-Ray. I upgraded from DVD to Blu-Ray I'm NOT going to upgrade again.

With the advent on a new format called "Super Audio Compact Disc", or "SACD" for short, I'm sure we will all very soon be eager to replace our entire CD collections with this new and exciting format. Just imagine the Star Wars OSTs remastered in 5.1 surround sound with unprecedented sonic quality.

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

Personally I don't get the hub bub about 4k and Ultra HD.  I am fine with just regular Blu-Ray. I upgraded from DVD to Blu-Ray I'm NOT going to upgrade again.

In all honesty, Trent, the regular Blu-rays look fantastic. But I had to buy a new TV so thought it won't hurt to upgrade. It just made sense to upgrade.

Karol

Later this year, I want to invest in a 4K OLED TV to replace my damaged plasma. Then I may appreciate the film-like splendour of currently available titles such as Close Encounters, ID4, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II, the Nolan box, and Blade Runner.