Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

Might buy it if I get a 65" OLED. OTOH, I suppose DVD is no longer watchable on a 65" screen. Hmm .... I have way more DVDs then Blu-rays.

• 2 months later...

I have a 50" LG 4K TV and a standard Blu-ray player, with most of my movie collection consisting of standard Blu-rays. Is investing in a 4K player and 4K Blu-rays actually worth it, and is there a noticeable difference in quality between the two formats? I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy guy out there, and I'm curious as to what you guys think before I ever take the plunge into 4K.

Well the TV is the biggest expense and you already have that. I’d say just start building up a collection of movies you care about until you’re ready to get the player. It’s only going to get cheaper as time goes on. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Find an old Trinitron!

Garbage

On 5/13/2018 at 1:01 AM, Alexcremers said:

Might buy it if I get a 65" OLED. OTOH, I suppose DVD is no longer watchable on a 65" screen. Hmm .... I have way more DVDs then Blu-rays.

They play fine. There are many films in my dvd collection that will never see blu ray quality let alone 4k

Yeah, The Lost World looks nothing like that bluish Blu-ray. Even casual viewer will notice the difference.

Have you seen Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films on 4K UHD @Horner's Dynamic Range? They look quite nice. Sony has a really good track record when it comes to transfers. I'm watching Spider-Man 2 right now.

Karol - whose 4K film collection grew quite considerably in the past few months (around 40 now I think)

On 7/26/2018 at 10:51 PM, John said:

I have a 50" LG 4K TV and a standard Blu-ray player, with most of my movie collection consisting of standard Blu-rays. Is investing in a 4K player and 4K Blu-rays actually worth it, and is there a noticeable difference in quality between the two formats? I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy guy out there, and I'm curious as to what you guys think before I ever take the plunge into 4K.

How close do you sit to your TV?

In terms of resolution, with a 50" screen you're only going to see an improved picture with 4K at a distance of closer than roughly 6ft.  Most people who don't live in a college dorm room don't sit that close to their TV's under normal viewing conditions, so in some ways 4K resolution is a lot of hype.

HDR is another matter, and obviously you'll see the improved colours at any distance.  It's HDR that really makes the difference with UHD content. 

Well I'm using a 1080i only capable Plasma set and my Blu-rays look fantastic to my eyes. I've been very tempted to dip into UHD HDR though as I'd like to get a larger display than my current 51" and since everything over that size is now UHD capable it seems like a no-brainer. Whether I'll purchase a lot of 4k software is another matter though, there's not much that tickles me at this stage, however if S: TM gets that rumoured UHD release I'll most def pick that one up. Also as half of my HP HD-DVDs have crapped out (thanks Warner) I'd like to get the UHD, also because the early films' HD transfers weren't that good and these new ones seem like a worthwhile upgrade.

Now the question is what to do about this silly HDR bun fight. Has anyone done an A/B with regular HDR 10 and Dolby Vision (on the same software)? Is DV worth the extra dosh and the wait?

44 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well I'm using a 1080i only capable Plasma set and my Blu-rays look fantastic to my eyes.

Some say it's better than OLED (the reigning king of image quality).

Never noticed those things. Have you ever seen a movie on an OLED TV? The bits I've seen look oddly digital (as opposed to 'film'). It could be the exaggerated factory settings though ... Or maybe OLED is so good that it exposes digital film for what it really is ...

45 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Never noticed those things. Have you ever seen a movie on an OLED TV? The bits I've seen look oddly digital (as opposed to 'film'). It could be the exaggerated factory settings though ... Or maybe OLED is so good that it exposes digital film for what it really is ...

I've only seen some movies displayed on an OLED in the store. They had a video of what looked like Iron Man 2, which was shot on film, in a side-by-side comparison between 4K and regular HD. I doubt you'd be disappointed by the film-like texture and quality of the 4K side and what it suggests for older films.

For this TV shootout (with audience) they used the 4K Blade Runner version (sorry Denis Villeneuve fans!). Guess which TV came out as the winner?

OLED TV's look fantastic, and properly calibrated can deliver a very film like picture.  And unlike 4K, it's a genuinely new technology, and not just increased resolution.

That said, I still have no reason to upgrade from my Panasonic 1080p Plasma. I keep waiting for it to die but it keeps on going. :)  It still has a better picture for film than any (non-OLED) 4K TV I've seen.

3 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I understand OLED irons out some plasma bugs like those faint lines that'd randomly appear across the screen, and the green dithering you'd see close-up (which was meant to substitute for grey).

Yes close up one can see the green dithering effect (it's quite alarming actually) but at a proper viewing distance it's not visible.

5 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Not even sure there's a significant difference between all these HDR formats.

Well with DV and HLG and HDR10+ we get dynamic meta data which allows filmmakers to define the HDR grading on a scene or frame level, whereas vanilla HDR10 is static for the whole programme.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

But still ... 

9200000084261471.jpg

What I meant is that the film was shot in 3.4K or something like that.

Most of the releases are upscaled 2K as many films are mastered in such quality.

And yes, the disc looks great regardless.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

Now that SS's dog of a film Hook is getting a 4K release and 11 cut scenes I figure loads more fans will make the switch!

Wow, missed this news, thanks @JoeinAR

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23779

And in Dolby Atmos, no less. Mmmm, perhaps the missing audio tapes of the final scenes have turned up *holding thumbs*

I'd be thrilled with a restored extended cut that brings back the missing day but this will be interesting nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

They'll have to change every old Golden Age movie with new CGI effects then.

King Mark wants the 1933 King Kong redone.

Hook is not a golden age movie, it’s a bad movie... but with wonderfull music.

So it deserve to be boosted a bit.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

Hook need a Special Edition, with new CG effects added (new backgrounds at least), not just a simple HD reissue.

You can't replace the backgrounds, it's all real. 

But I agree with you, everything feels very film studio with too much studio lighting.

• 1 month later...

I think I will get this player Samsung UBD-M9700 4K Ultra HD blu-ray player. Its pricy but it will sync well with my other Samsung products. Dave and I will start planning(saving) for a new OLED tv. The Samsung and LG's at Sam's club have outstanding pictures that pop much more than that old viewimg formula says. 

Would this be a good UHD BR player for me?  I'm find with my TV's stereo speakers, I don't use a receiver, I don't care about having streaming services or whatever.  I just want to get a good 4K picture on my normal, cheap LED 4K TV.  Cheap but quality is key, I won't spend more than 200 ever.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-UP870-Definition-Compatibility-Upconvert/dp/B078X2FYWS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1XS6075EC95PTGJZMP80

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Does your 4K TV have HDR?

Apparently.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-43-class-led-e-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6212929.p?skuId=6212929

We're not the kind of people who need gigantic TVs.  I find small living rooms with TV's that take up an entire wall distasteful.  But I own ET and Close Encounters on UHD and I'd like to watch them in that format.