Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

The X800 is not new. I was hoping for the price to drop (especially because January is sales month) but in the last few weeks it's gone from 239 Euro to 249 Euro to 299 Euro. Blade Runner 2049 is included in the box.

Sony-collage.jpg

IMO there's no reason to spend money on any 4K BD player that doesn't do both Dolby Vision and HDR10, even though Dolby Vision is winning the battle

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

IMO there's no reason to spend money on any 4K BD player that doesn't do both Dolby Vision and HDR10, even though Dolby Vision is winning the battle

Yes. That’s why I brought it up here, I thought that more people might be interested.

27 minutes ago, rough cut said:

No, the ubp-x800 is not new, but the ubp-x800m2 is. The m2 plays Dolby Vision which the old one didn’t.

What kind of HDR does Netflix uses? That's the only HDR content I'm playing for a long time to come.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Generally yeah, but it depends on the disc as well. Some HDR versions look better that DV.

Karol

I didn't mean to imply by "winning the battle" that DV was better than HDR10, merely the cold fact that more companies are choosing it over HDR10.

A friend of mine has a set up that supports HDR10 and DV.

Whenever we’re at his place, I am always blown away by the picture quality. He, on the other hand, now complains when we watch something in 1080p.

Regarding HDR10 vs DV... From what I gather DV is supposed to have the upper hand regarding specs.

I've started my journey to upgrade to UHD. First I ve just bought a Samsung UHD /HDR 10 enabled TV set and have started buying the blu ray disc's. But I need to buy both a compatible 4K UHD AVR   and a blu ray player next. Had my eyes on the OPPO 205 player but sadly OPPO has discontinued their Blu ray player. So Iam considering Pioneer. 

Any recommendations on the next as good as OPPO player? 

On 1/18/2019 at 1:12 AM, Alexcremers said:

Panasonic makes the best players (better than Oppo).

SDmnHZQiNS693qX3pcpVCm-480-80.jpg

Panasonic DP-UB9000

Looks rather boxy

We had to somehow shift Han. It would have been literally impossible for him to walk around the Jabba character because of the tail. So George had the idea, well, why don't you have him step on his tail?

16 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Looks rather boxy

Looks awesome. Like decent well-built high quality hi-fi gear. The kind that doesn't move around when you push the open button.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

What's with you and 'curvy'? ;)

ubd-m9500_004_dynamic_black-small-100734

My aesthetics demand it.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Looks awesome. Like decent well-built high quality hi-fi gear. The kind that doesn't move around when you push the open button.

That would require touching it. The closest I come to touching it is inserting or removing the disc. I just let Alexa do all my electronic work using voice commands.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You speak to your technology?

Don't you?

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

You will make an excellent drone.

Just now, Stefancos said:

No, i dont speak to non-living objects.

How primitive

I’m contemplating selling my blu ray movies that are available in 4K and purchasing them in UHD quality. Most nowadays come with a bonus standard blu. Future-proofing my collection for the day when I finally pick up a 4K player. 

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Buying an Alexa and talking to it is the first step in ordering a female sex robot, falling in love with it and marrying it.

Ive changed Alexa to Alex. It now has a belgian accent!