Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

On 11/7/2018 at 6:30 PM, crocodile said:

Anyone has seen Superman: The Movie yet? I might get it once I get back home.

Karol

I bought and watched it today. A great presentation of the film as shot and intended. Easily the best home presentation of the film so far. People should be aware though that Superman is never going to be 4k & HDR demo material! It has a fair amount of film grain which thankfully has not been tampered with, particularly in shots with optical effects. The stylistic choices made by Geoffrey Unsworth do not lend themselves to high contrast, massively dynamic images.

To me it looked like watching a flawless theatrical print with the possible exception of the scene with the Krypton council. Their faces are maybe a little on the grey side.

The new Atmos mix is pretty punchy but it also comes with the original mix too.

45 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks for that, @Alan.

Regarding the "original mix": is that the multi-channel 1978 mix, or the suped-up 2000 mix?

Neil S. Bulk was raving about the mix so it must be a winner.

By the way @Alan I watched it last night. It looked lovely. But I bet a lot of the 4K "afficionados" will be moaning about it. Oh they will.😄 

Karol

57 minutes ago, crocodile said:

By the way @Alan I watched it last night. It looked lovely. But I bet a lot of the 4K "afficionados" will be moaning about it. Oh they will.😄 

Karol

I worry about this that the studios will capitulate to the demands of the gearhead geek enthusiasts and begin smearing older films to achieve a faux digital look. And I hate how blu-ray.com keeps rating picture quality of older films based on how they measure up against the latest state-of-the-art digital shooting standards. So to them, an accurately transfered film from the 1970s looks like an actual 35mm print, but it loses a point because of grain - that's how its meant to look, you morons!

38 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

I worry about this that the studios will capitulate to the demands of the gearhead geek enthusiasts and begin smearing older films to achieve a faux digital look. And I hate how blu-ray.com keeps rating picture quality of older films based on how they measure up against the latest state-of-the-art digital shooting standards. So to them, an accurately transfered film from the 1970s looks like an actual 35mm print, but it loses a point because of grain - that's how its meant to look, you morons!

I agree. So far my experience with UHD has been better than it was with BD in this regard though. Films that were notorious for having grain scrubbed away to the point of actors looking like wax models, like Predator, have now been released on UHD disc looking far more natural. Sony in particular have been very good at not scrubbing away grain from 35mm productions. Universal still seems a bit hit & miss with it though.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Oh they already are! ;)

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

I agree. So far my experience with UHD has been better than it was with BD in this regard though. Films that were notorious for having grain scrubbed away to the point of actors looking like wax models, like Predator, have now been released on UHD disc looking far more natural. Sony in particular have been very good at not scrubbing away grain from 35mm productions. Universal still seems a bit hit & miss with it though.

The Fox 4K restorations seem to have a yellow bias to them, so they aren't colour correcting to how they looked upon release. I'm on the fence about this practice. Not sure how the Warner and Paramount ones look.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Black Friday sales I was able to finally snag my 4k player and a handful of films I do not currently have. As I said previously I will not double dip except for a few instances. I was tempted by T-2 but read the reviews and they were not very good.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading that the 4K version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a significant upgrade over the blu-ray. I have always felt that the blu-ray version was poor. I certainly may look into the upgrade.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

By the way, I added First Blood, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Mission: Impossible - Fallout to my collection today.

Karol

I am going to add Fallout. I still need to get Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp. I read that The Mummy (B. Fraiser's) in 4k is stunning. AND the ending of AM in conjunction to Infinity Wars is jaw dropping.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But 4K good?

Haha actually most modern films would fit into that category as they are mastered in 2K. Oldies don't have that problem for obvious reason.

Karol

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

But 4K good?

True, i don't added any of those 'childhood' movies for the obvious reason that some remain best in shitty VHS presentations (did Rambo II ever look better than in Pan and scan with its upper image warped to the right?), others you just don't need to see again (First Blood, Gremlins etc.). I added Scott's Legend, though: the trainwrecks are often more interesting than the polished ones.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:18 AM, Alexcremers said:

But 4K good?

Ben Hur is 4k good. Actually its 8K good.

I added Superman the Movie and Brendan Frazier's the Mummy based on 4k reviews. My only double dips so far.

So it appears that Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan will become available in 4K in 2019.

So I had it on BetaMax, VHS, RCA video disk, dvd, Blu Ray, and now I have to get a 4K? So septadipping?

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Just don't do it, Joe. It's not like that movie is endlessly rewatchable.

But it is Alex! I won't be double dipping on it. My few exceptions are E.T., Jaws, Superman the Movie, Close Encounters, and the Mummy based on reviews of picture and sound quality. I will pick up Starship Troopers which I do not own at all. 

I will still purchase films on Blu, gonna order Them and The Thing from Another World. Though from my understanding the picture upgrade from dvd to blu is minimal there is extra content.

The picture quality is exceptional. Its one thing to see it in the store but in my home. We put Paddington 2 in the upscaling was beautiful. But the Avengers in 4K looks great as does the sound. 

• 3 weeks later...

How does it even represent its film in the slightest? Imagine if someone buys it purely based on this image of a metallic robotic alien thing with oily rainbow shine in front of a bright background and gets a kind of slowburn, dark, grungy '70s movie. (Of course I don't really know exactly how it looks after the obligatory motherf... regrading)

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I hope Europe gets a classier release.

That IS the European cover.  You didn't notice the European logos in the bottom left?

9 hours ago, Holko said:

How does it even represent its film in the slightest? Imagine if someone buys it purely based on this image of a metallic robotic alien thing with oily rainbow shine in front of a bright background and gets a kind of slowburn, dark, grungy '70s movie. (Of course I don't really know exactly how it looks after the obligatory motherf... regrading)

Way better than the Jaws Dvd covers

Just now, Corellian2019 said:

The post says that it's temporary artwork

Thank god!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

That IS the European cover.  You didn't notice the European logos in the bottom left?

I only looked at the 'design' of the cover. BTW, we're used to very different logos in Belgium. Have a look:

1002004011665816.jpg

I think my next purchase will be Starship Troopers. Its not a double dip since I do not own it. 

I’ll upgrade to a new 4K UHD player in May. Sony will release a player that supports HDR as well as Dolby Vision. It also plays both SACD and DVD-A.

Everything you need! : )

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800m2

Hmm... now I just need a TV to match! 😅