Sign in to follow this  
JTWfan77

What happened to "Music Composed and Conducted by" on soundtrack covers??

Not every composer is a conductor... this isn’t anything new. There are many composers who conduct who are crappy conductors so just because someone does it doesn’t mean they’re good. I think they just want to make cover with less text.

John Powell conducted Ferdinand but the ost says music by... same goes for Harry Gregson-Williams who usually conducts his scores.

I honestly don't care. If you care you'll know who composed it and there should probably be something about the conductor on the inside cover. I don't know.

47 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is it because Millennials won't buy anything that contains the words "composed and conducted by" because that's "old people's music", and it's associated with classical music?

That's my theory anyway.

:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think less and less movie composers are able, firstly, to compose a score alone, and secondly, to conduct an orchestra (well, when there is an orchestra).

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Because John Williams is too busy admiring Daisy Ridley's abs to bother conducting. 

I think you mean Adam Driver's abs.

Pretty sure it was that damn Torontonian who started it all, what with having solely his named on the cover, up and above and centered over everything else!!!

075021035799_300.jpg

Also, LdC is fugly in teal and orange.

The composer has all the main credit.

This works on a cover:

Avatar: Music composed and conducted by James Horner, performed by the orchestra so-and-so.

This no works:

How to Train Your Dragon: Music composed by John Powell, conducted by Gavin Greenaway, orchestrated by a third guy,  performed by the orchestra so-and-so, and with extra composition and orchestration by Michael, Anne, Jordan, Peter and Ezekiel..

I care more about songtracks claiming to be 'Original Soundtracks' than a score album not crediting its conductor.

I understand there's a buzz from reading those words on an album cover if it's your favourite composer, but it can be taken to the extreme. I notice that a lot of press releases and album announcements have loads of spiel about the composer, their background, etc, then right at the end a 'Music composed by xxx' as a kind of 'sign off'. I never understand why that's there apart from people wanting to read those words.

Both new Star Wars scores and even Lincoln just say 'Music By', even though Williams conducted the majority of them (all in Lincoln's case, I believe). 

On 3/24/2018 at 4:17 PM, kaseykockroach said:

I said what I meant and meant what I said.

Image result for daisy ridley abs

Those abs are faithful 100%.

Wow. Beautiful AND strong. She is awesome. Where is that clip from?

3 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

She was lean and fit looking in TFA, but she looked like a brick shithouse in TLJ. To the point where she looked a bit... manly.

Yes to the first point. Uh...no to the second point; not at all.