JW has 12 entries in this year's Classic FM Hall of Fame!

bollemanneke

BTW, this playlist I made some times ago... is mainly based on all the "discoveries" and "novelties" found on the best USA Classical Music Radio playlists, including Classics FM, of course!

It's really a sort of "best of" for the fans and classical music lovers, yes. :yes:

Congrats to the Meastro, his rich and various music is still very present in our lives!

For those interested, the positions so far (it's a countdown of listeners' top 300 pieces) are:

294. War Horse

292. CE3K

282. Superman

170. Born on the Fourth of July

164. War of the Worlds

152. E.T.

124. Raiders

81. Saving Private Ryan

45. Jurassic Park.

...I feel confident in predicting that the remaining three will be Harry Potter, Schindler's List and some obscure sci-fi thing, but in which order and where in the overall list ... remains to be seen.

...there we go:

31. Harry Potter.

27. Star Wars

23. Schindler's List

Now we can switch it off (and miss the surprise Jerry Goldsmith new entry at number 1 ... arf)

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Was he on the list?

Nope. Nor Rozsa, Rota, Herrmann, Bernstein, etc. etc.

Apart from JW, film music entries were Shore (LOTR, 29), Barry (Dances With Wolves, 49; Out of Africa, 111), Morricone (The Mission, 65), Shostakovich (The Gadfly, 84; The Unforgettable Year 1919, 160), Armstrong (Romeo+Juliet, 86), Zimmer (Gladiator, 90), Nigel Hess (Ladies in Lavender, 119 ... they seem to have a thing for that); Addinsell (Dangerous Moonlight, 120), Badelt [ahem] (PotC, 201), Vaughan Williams (49th Parallel, 251), Horner (Braveheart, 284), and Coates (The Dam Busters, 286).

Korngold got in, but with Die Tote Stadt, not a film score.

There were a couple of computer game scores, and I think the only TV one was Djawadi's GoT.

Because I lose interest. I mean, take JW as an example: he needs five minutes to make a 'point' about Star Wars and Harry Potter. Now compare that to Tchaikovksy's Romeo and Juliet. NIce piece, except that it would be ten times better if it was half as long. And dare I mention the wrethced dacapos in 95% of classical music?

Well to each his own, but those are the two things that made me turn away from classical music: the ridiculuous running times and the endless, idiotic repetitions.

bollemanneke, listening to the re-recording of The Flying Sequence from Superman, four minutes of bliss

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Well to each his own, but those are the two things that made me turn away from classical music: the ridiculuous running times and the endless, idiotic repetitions.

bollemanneke, listening to the re-recording of The Flying Sequence from Superman, four minutes of bliss

Some of JW's concert arrangements of film music have more thematic repetition than a lot of classical music with a much longer duration.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:43 PM, bollemanneke said:

But you don't mind expanded score releases that go on forever? ;)