Which are your Top 10 John Williams scores post-2000?

Josh500

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I've always loved Return to Tatooine and The Tusken Camp and The Homestead.

They're all great. 

I even love the brief, heart-warming quote of Yoda's Theme in Attack of the Clones.... 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Post

This score is refreshingly simple and effective. I like it a lot, although it's not in the top ten for me!

I only know it from the album, and the two or three "source musicy" tracks really kill the album presentation for me.  Honestly, as far as The Post is concerned, the end credits track contains good reprises of all the highlights IMO.

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I only know it from the album, and the two or three "source musicy" tracks really kill the album presentation for me.  Honestly, as far as The Post is concerned, the end credits track contains good reprises of all the highlights IMO.

The first track is my favourite, probably because I've listened to it the most often!

By the way, anybody notice that melody line in "The Papers" that's almost exactly the same as heard in TLJ? 😂 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Aw man, I love those two source pieces!  They are so much fun!

And the album is extremely representative of the entire score.  The only extra music on the FYC is all along the same lines as things you hear on the OST.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:36 AM, Josh500 said:

It's certainly superior to Revenge of the Sith. 

For me Revenge of the Sith is superior, if only for The Immolation scene and Anakin's Betrayal.

maybe because I like dramatic pieces better generally compared to action pieces (like the ones you quoted).

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Aw man, I love those two source pieces!  They are so much fun!

yeah, me too.

They are the best (well, most interesting if you like) music in that album for me.

Holy shit, and I thought AotC would be underrated! This thread has proven me wrong.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

And the album is extremely representative of the entire score.  The only extra music on the FYC is all along the same lines as things you hear on the OST.

The OST is complete, isn't it?

There's discussion over in the Post thread, but this should help (look at the time differences too)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQLZ9GK1jqCkwB3L9jVxzvOnCistwVfbC_XDmn7I_qrqh8DEyZ3yYXNynFYD4UiY_zx-XMTlO6_t9iy/pubhtml

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Holy shit, and I thought AotC would be underrated! This thread has proven me wrong.

Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised. 

I thought most people here couldn't stand that score.... Apparently, I was wrong, or many have changed their minds.

John Williams's Attack of the Clones rocks! The movie, however, is a different kettle of fish. :)

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. War Horse

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

5. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

6. Catch me if you can

7. The Force Awakens

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

9. The Terminal

10. Attack of the Clones

4 hours ago, SF1_freeze said:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. War Horse

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

5. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

6. Catch me if you can

7. The Force Awakens

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

9. The Terminal

10. Attack of the Clones

No love for TLJ?

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

No love for TLJ?

You could always criticize someone for omitting one of the 12 scores that cannot be included, since it's only a Top 10.

Therefore my Top 22 John Williams scores of this millennium.

1. The Prisoner of Azkaban
  2. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence
  3. War of the Worlds
  4. Munich
  5. Minority Report
  6. The Philosopher's Stone
  7. Lincoln
  8. War Horse
  9. Attack of the Clones
  10. The Chamber of Secrets
  11. The Last Jedi
  12. Revenge of the Sith
  13. Memoirs of a Geisha
  14. The Force Awakens
  15. The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  16. The Terminal
  17. The Post
  18. Catch Me If You Can
  19. The Patriot
  20. The Book Thief
  21. The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn
  22. The BFG

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You could always criticize someone for omitting one of the 12 scores that cannot be included, since it's only a Top 10.

It wasn't a criticism, just an honest question out of curiosity. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.4.2018 at 6:52 PM, Smeltington said:

[...] including the Children's Suite, which is a unique treasure no other Williams score can boast.

Is the complete Children's Suite officially available anywhere?

Not in a particular order.

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • The Adventures of Tintin
  • War Horse
  • Lincoln
  • Rosewood
  • The Force Awakens
  • The Last Jedi
  • The Post

32 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is the complete Children's Suite officially available anywhere?

Legally and officially all we have is the chunks JW snuck into the OST album.

Unofficially, the recording sessions leaked out 7 years ago including the entire children's suite, so its all over youtube, shrines, download sites, etc.

As far a I'm concerned, for having listened to it, the "Children's Suite" is an "under" work, a rough drawing, something that should be erased completly from the records.

Burn all the scores and all the recordings, honesty.

John Williams will never give is approval for it's releasing till he's alive.

Oh com'on it's basic and barely listenable.

It's an exercice in style, it's not good.

Flute... flu flu... woodwind... pwett pwettt. 

It's material for high school harmonies.. and even...

Have you read the title? It's called the CHILDREN'S suite. It was meant to be a suite that could be played for a mainly very young audience everywhere to teach them about the roles the sections of the orchestra could play. Or even be sold for school orchestras to perform. It's material for high school harmonies because that's what it was written to be.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Legally and officially all we have is the chunks JW snuck into the OST album.

Unofficially, the recording sessions leaked out 7 years ago including the entire children's suite, so its all over youtube, shrines, download sites, etc.

Why did he record it then?

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why did he record it then?

The same time the film cues were recorded, with the same musicians, in the same room, with the same recording team.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Have you read the title? It's called the CHILDREN'S suite. It was meant to be a suite that could be played for a mainly very young audience everywhere to teach them about the roles the sections of the orchestra could play. Or even be sold for school orchestras to perform. It's material for high school harmonies because that's what it was written to be.

Today's kids would'nt even want to play that! It's so bad! :)

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The same time the film cues were recorded, with the same musicians, in the same room, with the same recording team.

This is an answer to "When", "Who", "Where" and again "Who", but not "Why"!:huh:

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

Today's kids would'nt even want to play that! It's so bad! :)

What's happened to you, Bespin?

I once was a clarinet player in school, we once play Michael Jackson and George Harrison songs.... Wow! Children's suite from Harry Potter. Yawn...

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This is an answer to "When", "Who", "Where" and again "Who", but not "Why"!:huh:

Oh lol, I misread your post!

AFAIK he recorded it intending it to be released for sale, but then it just never came to be so he tucked some pieces from it onto the OST.  All the sheet music for the children's suite was published and recorded by orchestras around the world, so having the recording out would have helped them (as well as children learning how to play) out.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

AFAIK he recorded it intending it to be released for sale, but then it just never came to be so he tucked some pieces from it onto the OST.

What a shame! So the complete suite is still nowhere (legally) available?:(

As he originally recorded in 2001, no, sadly. Even what's on the OST is just fragments, not the full cues.

19 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What a shame! So the complete suite is still nowhere (legally) available?:(

Right.  But you can just play it on youtube or download the session leak, its not like its some massive secret

"When I wrote the full orchestral score for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I hadn't planned to write the eight miniatures presented here. The film's score did not require them, and our production schedule, usually very difficult in the film world, made no provision for their arrival. 

However, if I can be permitted to put it a bit colorfully, each piece seemed to insist on being "hatched" out of the larger body of the full score. 

I began writing Hedwig's little piece, and each of the others followed quickly as they seemed to arrive all clamoring for their individual identities. I selected a combination of instruments that suited each theme, and this suite of pieces is the result. 

Hedwig, the beautiful owl who magically and mysteriously delivers mail to Harry Potter at Hogwarts School, is musically portrayed in the first miniature by the celesta, a luminous little instrument which is capable of producing pearly, crystalline tones at dazzling speeds. The celesta begins its flight alone, but quickly is joined by the violins, possibly the only other instrument capable of attaining the dizzying pace needed to defy gravity and achieve flight. 

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, that august institution that has trained and taught young wizards for centuries, is probably best described by the french horn section of the orchestra. No other instrument seems so perfectly suited to capturing the scholarly atmosphere of Hogwarts than the noble and stately french horn. 

In the third miniature we meet Harry Potter's arch enemy, the evil Lord Voldemort, who is portrayed here by a trio of bassoons sounding their mysteriously deep and sonorous tones. 

The Nimbus 2000 is Harry Potter's own personal broomstick. To musically depict this ingenious mode of transportation we have the woodwind section, with its flutes, oboes, clarinets, and bassoons, all capable of extraordinary leaps and astonishing agility, forming a perfect match for the nimble Nimbus 2000. 

On the third floor of Hogwarts School we find Fluffy, the huge three-headed guard dog. Fluffy is a music lover who can only be made to fall asleep to the sound of music. Here the contra bassoon represents the snoozing Fluffy, while his music is provided by the beautiful...and in this case...soporific harp. 

In the Harry Potter books, Quidditch is a form of intramural competition that's played on flying broomsticks. The games are conducted every year at the Hogwarts School with great pageantry, featuring colorful flags and cheering crowds. In the sixth miniature, the pomp and ceremony of these Quidditch games is best represented by the blazing brass section of the orchestra, with its tuba, french horns, trombones, and heraldic trumpets. 

In the seventh miniature, "Family Portrait," the clarinet introduces the themes that relate to the disparate parts of Harry Potter's emotional life, and here it is accompanied by the cello section of the orchestra, which produces a wonderfully warm and beautiful sound. 

Diagon Alley is a sort of shopping mall of the wizard world. Along with the wondrous things to be seen in the Alley, we're also transported by the sounds of antique recorders, hand drums, and percussion instruments of all kinds. There is even an elaborate solo part for the violin, cast in the role of the witch's fiddle. 

With all of the miniatures presented, the suite concludes with the entire orchestra as it explores many of the themes heard throughout "Harry's Wondrous World." 

My fondest hope is that instrumentalists and listeners alike might share in some of the joy that I have felt in writing music for this delightful story."

John Williams

http://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Williams-John-Harry-Potter-Children-s-Suite-For-Orchestra/2068158

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18922-harry-potter-childrens-suite/

There is the Children's Suite (an exercice in style, perhaps dedicated to teaching, but I don't think it really caught attention) :

• Hedwig's Flight
  • Hogwarts Forever
  • Voldemort
  • Nimbus 2000
  • Fluffy's harp
  • Quidditch
  • Family Portrait
  • Diagon alley
  • Wondrous World

And The Suite for Orchestra (which contains the more interresting parts inspired by the previous draft suite).

• Hedwig's Theme
  • The Sorcererer's Stone
  • Nimbus 2000
  • Harry's Wondrous World