The Art of the Score Podcast Thread

Faleel

Love the show @PoggoAOTS, and love how much of Williams' music you've covered so far! 

It's looking like a complete release of the Prisoner of Azkaban might be imminent from one of the record labels, any chance you'd consider an episode on that score if it happens? I'm sure one of you said it was your favourite Potter score. 

6 hours ago, PoggoAOTS said:

I just registered on these forums and saw that there was an AOTS thread! I'm one of the co-hosts (Andrew Pogson). Sorry our TFA episodes were so delayed. I had a new kid at the end of last year and so editing duties went by the wayside. We're fairly back on board now though.

Loving the discussions, compliments and criticisms of the show. Always helps us create better episodes as we go along. Thanks for tuning in!

Welcome to JWFan!  Y’all are still my favorite film score podcast running.  I especially enjoyed the Bond episodes, even if you weren’t overly kind to my personal favorite Barry score, The Living Daylights.  Drum machines are better than everything! ;) 

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Love the show @PoggoAOTS, and love how much of Williams' music you've covered so far! 

It's looking like a complete release of the Prisoner of Azkaban might be imminent from one of the record labels, any chance you'd consider an episode on that score if it happens? I'm sure one of you said it was your favourite Potter score. 

Funny you should ask...

Stay tuned!

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Drum machines are better than everything! ;) 

Ha! It’s hard to argue with that. 

One of the team (Nicholas) regularly conducts live-to-projection concerts with various orchestras around the world, and has done some for TFA. I imagine he would've been given special access to the complete recordings to prepare for them.

54 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I saw the MSO concert for PoA last week and came down early for the chat you fellas had beforehand. Great stuff, very excited for the podcast!

Didn't realise they had another pre-concert chat! Would have loved to see the MSO POA performances but I was overseas. I'll have to keep my eyes out for more concerts.

3 hours ago, PoggoAOTS said:

Funny you should ask...

Stay tuned!

tenor.gif?itemid=4994520

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well the question of whether this will feature any unreleased, clean goodies is answered pretty quickly! Clean opening of Rescuing Sirius in the first minute 😃

Siriusly?

One of the great things about your podcast @PoggoAOTS is how entertaining it is. There is obviously a lot of musical theory in the podcast so it would be easy for the podcast to just sound like a college lecture but it is also very entertaining and often very funny, in additional to being very interesting. It is without a doubt one of my favourite podcasts and a real treat for score fans.

44 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Wow, they've featured heeeeeeaps of unreleased music in this one! We've been spoiled. Great work @PoggoAOTS, particularly loved the connection between Pettigrew and Sirius' motifs that I hadn't noticed before!

Which cues?

Just now, PoggoAOTS said:

Glad there's plenty of goodies for you @crumbs! I suspect you will discover more in Part 2...

Speaking of similarities to other JW scores, there is a theme in War Horse that makes think of a chippier Window to the Past:

And there is an early demo of the Misty Mountains song from The Hobbit that sounds a bit like it as well.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Clean ending of Dumbledore's Warning around 23:30.

Actually, that is Dumbledore's Warning, with "Double Trouble March"

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Can't wait to listen to this on the train this morning. It's making the arduous wait for (hopefully) LLL's expanded Potter set that bit more tolerable! 

they better not tease like this and not release the HP set on black Friday .Or else this podcast would be a really dick move

I wish they put the chest dementor music in this podcast.That's the one I wanted to hear the most

The podcast doesn’t have anything to do with LLL or Black Friday or any kind of official release @King Mark, it only exists because Nic conducted PoA recently in Melbourne and they decided to do the latest episode based around it. 

So here is everything I found in there:

Parents Portrait
Shawm / Discussing Black
The Train to Hogwarts V1
Something Wicked Intro
Double Trouble
Dumbledore's Warning (with the end of Double Trouble March replacing the original end)
Befriending the Hippogriff
The Newspaper cue
Remembering Mother Alternate
Map to Snow Scene
Reading the Map
The Rescue of Sirius

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Some aren't even clean

What?

Awesome podcast, can't wait to hear more in part 2!

How good it is to be able to hear some unreleased cues in clean form!! This is like a great teaser for the expanded release that should be coming out very soon...

3 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:
3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Some aren't even clean

What?

One of the patronus cues (finale?) has what sounds like "escaping dementors" or "pulsating light beams reaching the camera" sound effects.

The end of Finale (Film Version) has the clock bells/dongs as well! Right after the shot of Sirius flying away on Buckbeak.

Are those performed live by the orchestra when Azkaban is played? I know they sort of meld with JW's music in that great cue that accompanies Harry and Hermione running back to the hospice but I didn't realise they were literally orchestral. 

OMG Rescuing Sirius..... it's so beautifful :lovethis:

This can be combined with the film version of Mischief Managed to make a temporary complete version, can't it?

What a fantastic surprise. Can there be any doubt that at least PoA is going to be announced in 3 days? (Just read comments above, so of course there can be doubt).

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Correct. The source used for this podcast is likely the iso score distributed to orchestras performing it, not (presumably) LLL's expanded set. 

Yeah the version of 'Buckbeak's Flight' they included has the film edits so it's definitely coming from the isolated score. 

1 minute ago, Damien F said:

By the way, just in case people new to this podcast don't know already, their TFA episode has the full complete clean cue of the Falcon crash landing on the Starkiller base planet. 

If they ever do an episode on The Last Jedi and they include the unreleased cue in the deleted scene of Rey running towards the caretakers village, I'll be a very happy John Williams fan :)

Considering the source is the isolated score (which we already have for TLJ) distributed to help with live-to-picture performances, I don't know why or how they would have that since LTP concerts don't include deleted scenes.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Considering the source is the isolated score to help with live-to-picture performances, I don't know why or how they would have that since LTP concerts don't include deleted scenes.

I agree, but there is no harm in dreaming.