The Art of the Score Podcast Thread

Faleel

The BEST news! :heart:

And then Interstellar on top of it! Admit it, you only chose that to be able to make the joke about the time dilation :lol: 

You even thought of using one of my custom covers again, I'm really over the moon. Can't wait to dive in! Thank you for being back.

4 hours ago, PoggoAOTS said:

A big THANK YOU for continuing your absolutely amazing podcast!

I have discovered Art of the Score in 2021 and was astonished how detailled and high quality your work in disecting a score really is.

The musical insight, background info, piano examples and explanations are fantastic and make for great little "educational" segments.

For me, this stands as THE benchmark film score podcast, period.

I hoped that someday you would continue with it and i'm so happy that you now do.

Please continue further and don't make us wait so long between episodes. A few new episodes a year would be great. 

In terms of a wishlist for future episodes, the Home Alone scores would make for a great Christmas podcast, the Lord of the Rings scores seem inevitable (but would be a massive undertaking) and an Ennio Morricone episode would also be great.

On 17/08/2019 at 3:42 PM, PoggoAOTS said:

@crumbs Hey! So sorry for the continued delay. We actually have it recorded already (not surprisingly) but we have found it impossible to get it mixed/completed due to work commitments. Dan and Nick, for instance, have been travelling for work almost constantly since Part 1 of Empire came out. Myself, I've been neck deep in shows for work that I haven't got around to it as well.

But!

We have some others in the can now:

- A live recording of a talk we gave for the Melbourne International Film Festival on the film music of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

- A *different* type of episode where we asked one of the composers we analysed to listen to "their" episode and then they talk us through piles of music that never made it into the score. Less an interview and more a dive into the creative process.

- And, after Part 2 of Empire, we have another film lined up. This time an animated feature that has been requested a bunch.

Plenty to come before the end of the year!

Re: TLJ live to picture - Yes! (and i'm impressed you know the places that they are sourced from) I'm currently trying to find a spot in our season to put it on. This title was announced to the orchestras really late, and my planning is so far ahead, that i'm finding it difficult to get it in. To tie you over however, can I suggest that you head along to our Return of the Jedi live shows in November? Should be a blast! I'm even trying to get a Jabba funk band to play in the foyer as the "cantina" band. Fingers crossed!

Was the *different* type of episode (where you aksed ony of the composers) ever released or did i miss it?

It was a happy surprise to see a new episode in my feed!

Would you consider releasing recordings (maybe a 'best of' compilation) of the live episodes?

On 22/01/2024 at 8:13 PM, SF1_freeze said:

Was the *different* type of episode (where you aksed ony of the composers) ever released or did i miss it?

Oh wow, yeah I forgot about this. We interviewed a composer about their previously-released episode as an experiment in a different format for an episode. The hope was that we would get the "real story" perhaps, or other insights, unreleased cues etc. etc. And although we definitely got that, and in many ways it was wildly entertaining for us to record (and the composer was just wonderful), it just didn't "feel" like Art of the Score. It almost became a sort of review of our review and ultimately was inconsistent in what it was trying to achieve (perhaps because I'm still not sure what it actually was achieving).

That's a somewhat long answer - but we would have released it (and continued pursuing these) if we thought the format worked.

2 hours ago, Quppa said:

It was a happy surprise to see a new episode in my feed!

Would you consider releasing recordings (maybe a 'best of' compilation) of the live episodes?

Do you mean of the live orchestra shows? If so then that's nearly impossible given rights surrounding the orchestras themselves. But it's also worth noting that the format is quite different - we still do our AOTS "thing" but it's changed to be more of a concert focus and allow for the large amount of people in the room (and I do mean the vast majority) who have never heard of us and are there for the music and the orchestra.

On 22/01/2024 at 6:32 PM, heidl said:

The BEST news! :heart:

And then Interstellar on top of it! Admit it, you only chose that to be able to make the joke about the time dilation :lol: 

You even thought of using one of my custom covers again, I'm really over the moon. Can't wait to dive in! Thank you for being back.

Well... your covers are simply THE BEST.